Bike running fine then quit!?! Suggestions?

GoldenMotor.com

kennessey

Mar 15, 2010
Hey Guys,

Looking for a little help here...or at least a few ideas from more experienced MB'ers. Yesterday I had been out with my friend (whose bike I help build) cruising for around 25-30 minutes when his bike unexpectedly quit running out of the blue. When I went to inspect it (he had already loosened the spark plug boot) I noticed the female housing had fallen out. I rode to my house and grabbed my old spark plug boot (i replaced mine with an NKG so I had an extra) and replaced it thinking this was naturally the best place to start trouble shooting (after checking gas)...nothing. Here is a list of other areas I have inspected.

*Checked Carb to make sure it was opening and closing properly which it was.
*checked air filter for possible clogs.
*checked all wire connections.
*replaced spark plug
*drained carb to make sure gas wasn't flooding or pooling and to make sure all petcocks were properly functioning and gas was getting to engine.

I found a decent size hill so I was able to coast the bike with the clutch disengaged to turn the motor and fiddle with all levers and still...nothing.

The bike is only two weeks old and I know nothing about other CDI's other than how to mount and attach wires but what is the probability that the unit is malfunctioning? we had been riding the bikes wide open when the incident happened...is there a chance it overheated and shorted out? Do those things (CDI's) even short out?

losta newbie questions...any help would be great. Sorry for such a long post.

Thanks!

Kennessey

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Sometimes when the engine is run without anywhere for the spark to go, it can burn out the CDI or the mag/coil. I'm guessing the CDI in this case???

Swap out the CDI with one from a running bike & see if it starts.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Are you using the hard plastic boot the kit came with? You should replace that with a rubber one. Change your plug to the NGK as well. I don't think you shorted your CDI but if you have no female connection in the Hard boot you will continue to get no spark to the plug.

kennessey

Mar 15, 2010
tried swapping out with a new CDI and bike still not running then did as Bikeguy Joe suggested and checked for spark and had none. Suggestions? What's the mag/coil all about?

Thanks for any and all ideas!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Kill switch still connected? Lose it. Check all wires for continuity with a multi meter, and look at the spark plug cap to be sure the insides didn't come apart.

kennessey

Mar 15, 2010
replaced cap, plug and wire. disassembled kill switch and installed a new CDI. Have a magneto on the way. good idea on the multi meter. I'll keep you posted.

K