Beach cruiser concearns.

GoldenMotor.com

BooneHomes

Mar 26, 2010
wilmington nc
i have a cool old beach cruiser fram that i want to slap a motor on...i want to use it on the beach...should i take any additional steps to keep sand out of the works

are there "off-road" kits?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Clean the filter often. It's not going to go real good in the sand unless you lower your gearing and use some fat tires.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sand and mechanical things have never been good friends. You'll need to keep a close watch on chains, sprockets, bearings, any moving parts that will be in contact with that abrasive stuff you'll find at the beach. Keep things clean, especially after a day of riding and if you come in contact with salt water you've increased your chances of problems. A quick rinse with a hose and fresh water after a ride wouldn't be a bad idea. Have fun, ride safe.
Tom

Last edited:

BooneHomes

Mar 26, 2010
wilmington nc
Thanks, i appreciate all the input. Ive started some research on using a chain saw motor (it seems that they are crud/sand proof).

and have the same sand in moving parts concearns but think i can overcome the issues by using some dirtbike/ atv concepts.....please let me know if you have any more ideas

ps.. hope to have pic up of frame in next week or so :)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A motor, any motor is only "crud proof" if it has a good air cleaner and protection from the environment it is operating in. Chain saws are designed to run in areas of high concentration of gritty stuff. They use a good air cleaner element and the operator must be aware of regular cleaning and maintenance. Ask the Army dudes what is their biggest concern with weapons and vehicles they have while operating in the desert. They'll tell you, "sand" . Same goes for jet engines and helicopter transmissions. Grit will kill any mechanical thing if allowed to get into the works. Keep that in mind when you hit the beach no matter what motor you choose to install.
Tom

BooneHomes

Mar 26, 2010
wilmington nc
thanks for the advice...i didnt realize that the air filter was the main off-road component ( and feel like a dumb mass/ since i have a jeep)

got a trash find weedeater brand leaf blower engine (crappy green plastic shroud) not even sure what it will do...but it runs and hums...

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
We ride at the beach all the time with nothing special on the bikes except a good air filter.
Keep in mind that you can't actually ride in the sand, just close to it. ;)

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
I was riding my bike 10 km one way along the shore line whilst I was on holidays last up Exmouth, nothing special about my bike 1.95 tyres and I was reaching speeds of 40 kph. Salt and sand are not good for these motors, same as all motors. twas heaps of fun and the looks I was geting as I was passing 4x4s (in the dry sand ) was priceless.

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
We ride at the beach all the time with nothing special on the bikes except a good air filter.
Keep in mind that you can't actually ride in the sand, just close to it. ;)

With my first four stroke cruiser running Schwabe "supermoto" 26"x2.35 tires and a 56t sprocket, i absolutely plan on riding on the sand. question:
would anyone please steer me to a "super" a/f that fits a honda gxh 50cc motor? what i have now is the stock semi dry filter element.

be seeing you

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Look at any "dirt bike" and you won't see the air filter at all becauce it is insde an "air box". The air box is the first defense against grit being sucked into the engine. Rig a coffee can or a "tupperware" container over your air filter element to reduce incoming crud. (drill holes in the BOTTOM ove the air box for intake).

Noped

Apr 21, 2010
Natchez, ms
Look at any "dirt bike" and you won't see the air filter at all becauce it is insde an "air box". The air box is the first defense against grit being sucked into the engine. Rig a coffee can or a "tupperware" container over your air filter element to reduce incoming crud. (drill holes in the BOTTOM ove the air box for intake).
Sound advice; i see the truth in it and can nearly envision it; thanks!r.ly.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Interesting... someone with a dyno (foureasy) outa check that out ;)

BTW - when I made that airbox I used an oiled filter, later decided it was unnecessary and switched to a dry one *shrug* There was little to no difference, I was just lazy :D