what type of 2 stroke oil?

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I know these engines recomend a synthetic oil, I've only been able to find a semi synthetic for my first tank of gas. Is it really that important to use the synthetic? I've had plenty of dirt bikes and chainsaws run for years on regular quality oil. I'm in Mesa Az and just cant find a true synthetic oil. I havent been to the kawasaki dealer yet, I imagine they would have it but with the cost of my first gallon at nearly 12 bucks with the semi syn oil I sure would like a somewhat cheaper way to go. Really not that big a deal though figuring the mpg's just curious as to what other people are running. I sure have been getting a lot of looks out on the road and some comments at the lights! Very few people I guess have ever seen one of these bikes, good times! (minus the flat tire yesterday)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
There's much in the way of info on the various synthetics and the people who love them, but what is far more important than synthetic/non-synthetic is understanding what the proper mix ratio is for your engine.

With that said - you can safely ignore w/e "instructions" came with your motor and run your mix at the recommended ratio the manufacturer of your oil brand suggests. So - if it's a non-synth that's made for 32:1 and that's what you mix it at - it should be fine, it's really pretty much that simple.

Where people have been runnin' into problems is runnin' the "instruction's" insane 16:1 or w/e....

I will say I prefer synthetics TBH - the initial price is high, but I use far less of it *shrug*

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Thats what I've been told, thanks for the second opinion. I am running at 16-1 now, like the instructions said- surprised the bike isnt smoking at all! I thought that sounded really heavy on oil. Almost have the tank empty now so I will be changing my mix to 24-1, that seems to be the general concensus here that I've read so far. I just want to find a place i can purchase oil from consistantly. Hmmm there is a Stihl repair shop not far......

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
I like amsoil, it is a recomended 100:1 mix but i dont have the guts to run it that light, but i do mix it at 50:1 with no problems, 24:1 with castor from the dirtbike shop is what i used for the first 300 miles and i love the way my motor runs today with 3000 on it now it is in its prime, i have never had a motor run as strong as this one!!!! Good luck its all about preference/and the smell of the oil for me, gotta love a good smellin oil!!!!

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
I live in Florida, I run Yamalube bulk oil from one of several marine supply houses at $15 a gallon or so.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Walmart sells syn 2 stroke oil it poulan syn. mixed at 40 to 1 works good for me.
my bikes engine run better on this oil I'm not kidding.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I would really like to try the opti 2 oil. just have to find a place that sells it. I dread walking into the local dirtbike shop as I might leave with something more than just oil! Already divorced so what the **** !!! ha ha. But seriously where are you guys finding the opti 2?

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
IMHO the Chinese engines run best on racing oils. I've run Amsoil Saber, Opti, etc and I always come back to some racing mix. I like Amsoil Dominator the best, with just a splash of castor oil. Never leaves any residue that people tend to over worry about. I run 25:1 or 32:1, with one of the ounces castor.

My theory is: the loose clearances of these sloppy engines are more like racing engines than new tight tolerance production weed cutters.