Question about the CHOKE

GoldenMotor.com

NeutronBomb

May 29, 2008
Atlanta!!
www.myspace.com
My choke lever on my chinese engine is always at down. That's how I fire it up, and I never change it while I'm riding. Is this a bad thing? A few times when I've tried to pull it up it just cuts the engine off..So now I don't bother.
Where should my choke be set?
Thanks!

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
The choke should be down (open). When you lift it up (closed) and the engine cuts off that is a good sign that you have no intake air leaks...Sometime you might have to use it to start only perhaps on a cold day, or maybe after sitting awhile....

frenchman159

Apr 19, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I leave it on for the first three or four minutes of running till it warms up than i can turn the handle down ( open, full air ). I'm convinced that it differs motor to motor. Adjust the E clip down until it idles and runs nice warmed up and your usually good to go !!!!!!

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
Mine starts quickly after this process: Prime the carb 5 or so times. Put choke to full and back it off slighly. Get a good start and release clutch. After about 3 seconds it starts. After 20 or so seconds I put the choke fully off and begin my ride.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Mine starts quickly after this process: Prime the carb 5 or so times. Put choke to full and back it off slighly. Get a good start and release clutch. After about 3 seconds it starts. After 20 or so seconds I put the choke fully off and begin my ride.
You can just hold the tickler down- it holds the float down so gas goes into the bowl.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
My choke lever on my chinese engine is always at down. That's how I fire it up, and I never change it while I'm riding. Is this a bad thing? A few times when I've tried to pull it up it just cuts the engine off..So now I don't bother.
Where should my choke be set?
Thanks!
Hey if it works - mine is very much temperature dependent. Warm days, I really don't need the choke.

How does your sparky plug look?

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Fortunately, I live partway up a hill, so the first 150 yards are downhill to the main road. After six feet and dropping the clutch (40 degree temp) it fires right up. Noticed a lot of backfiring if choke unused, less if choke closed. But the 30 second downhill doesn't warm engine enough, and it's a good 3/4 mile (maybe 2.5 minutes) before it's running halfway decent.
It hasn't been below 40 degrees yet, and I haven't had to use the choke once, except that I want to keep the popping noise level down for the neighbors while I coast down to the highway.