Hi from Canada

GoldenMotor.com

GTA1

May 4, 2009
GTA
Hi,

I am new to this and have done my shopping for a electric bike.

Generally, I find that vendors in the US and Canada are charging filthy (100 to 200% or more) mark ups on what appear to be commonly available parts in China.

What I want to know is, why not buy direct?

So I find this vendor below:

I came across a vendor called Goldenmotor dot com that sells DIY kits out of Jiansu Province (near Shanghai) and promises to deliver product from China in about 2 weeks.

Their prices look good, and they take PayPal which offers a degree of buyer protection.

Does anyone know about them?

Anyone have any experience ordering from them?

What about supplying spare parts?

Thanks

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us.

Never heard of them, most do not buy direct because you have to buy a few thousands at one time.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Gta, Welcome. Buying From Them May Be Ok. Pay Pal Does Not Protect You If You Buy Out Side Of E Bay!! I Know That From Experience. Ron

GTA1

May 4, 2009
GTA
Chinese email Vendor - Goldenmotor.com

OK, I have started checking out these people - basically, they have no track record, no proof, no evidence they are bona fide.

Even if they are bona fide --- there is the problem of what if they suddenly go out of business.

I started the first stage of my "check out" by seeing if they respond to emails.

The next stage: phone them.

Then: ask if they know someone near where I am (so I can actually meet them), I am in Ontario so there should be no problem meeting someone.

Then....

All the problems of dealing with a vendor in China that can abscond with USD $400 and pay for the scam's cost in setting up a website.

Does anyone know if Paypal will verify the recipient and see if they are real?

If they are for real.... their product look good.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
welcome :)
beware of goldenmotors...
azvinnie (my son-in-law)has bought hub motor kits from them...
3 at once for trike builds
2 out of three worked fine
the other has a problem that causes it to always 'fight itself' (trying to turn both directions at once), it is internal to the hub (not controller related)
they never answered repeated e-mails and killed my acct on their forum complaining about it
it is hanging on our garage wall as a 300$+ example to me and azvinnie NOT to always buy the cheapest stuff

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
GTA1--I'm from Toronto originaly now in BC.for a lot of years.
Don't get the Canadian Krimp lad.In my 65 years I've learned to deal with the people who have been in business for a long time.They payed the price to find reliable suppliers.
Now we pay them to be able to have a safty net if we need it.
Deal with a good company because while it may cost,it always pays.
Steve-- The aged sage.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Golden Motor is the manufacturer of hub motors found on many of the electric scooters and electric bicycles we can buy here in Canada. Out of curiosity I checked and the motor on my dad's wheelchair is also by Golden motor. When I was thinking of an electric build I was seriously contemplating purchasing a Golden and I was not worried about being scammed as they are a large company that's been around a while. When you pay with paypal I do believe if the shipment does not arrive and the seller can't prove to paypal that they shipped it you will get your money back...well some of it anyway. Also if you pay with a CC via paypal your CC company can also credit your money back too if the shipment does not arrive, I have used that means of funds recovery once and it PO'd paypal in a bad way...lol

Here's a video of some Golden Motors in action...

YouTube - Golden Motor Electric Bike Build 48V Test Ride Video

YouTube - 48V Golden Motor mod spinup test

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Giver'er GTA1.
The rule of thumb for ordering from Chinese vendors is don't spend more than you are willing to lose. If something in the kit doesn't work, they might replace it and they might not.
Welcome to the forum.

GTA1

May 4, 2009
GTA
Golden Motor

Thanks everyone for replying.

I do understand it cost $$$ to set up and keep alive a distribution / service / maintenance network.

I just wish some smart Chinese firm that have something to lose (like a good sized manufacturer)would go to the trouble of building up a brand that is worth something (like Hyundai, Samsung, Acer....etc.) and get out of the ditch they are in of being low end manufacturers for others.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
GTA1--I'm not a race basher per se but living in BC it is very hard not to be. I have not lived in Ont. since 1979 and as you are around people in the Asian market place you get used to dealing with them. My last thread is above this one. I'll say it once more.

Look at the threads. Every one wants a cheap motor but they want Ford quality. It is not happening. The chinese are not stupid. You get what you pay for, mabey.You hope.

Why don't the big companies make a motor bike motor? It's real simple .You order 10,000 motors and someone from the big companies will be on your door step before you hang up the phone. They will have some one make them and apply thier quality control. I know this from my brother dealing with companies all over Asia. They do not make something there is no large, proven market for.

Poisoned milk,lead in the toys,It is all about maximum profits and the customer be gone.

Want quality,look to Europe.

Chris Hill is bringing them in, in Thunderbay but has two standards,as they come or he rebuilds them with quality parts.
Still cheap in my book.

Every body wants cheap. Being screwed isn't cheap. Never going to be.

Get on the computer and find the Chinese trade office and tell them what you want. The Chinese Embassy will help you get in touch. Stress quality.Buy one engine and tell them you are checking for build quality and tell them what your first order will be. Check Japan and Tiawan too.
Best of luck.
Steve.

GTA1

May 4, 2009
GTA
Chinese build quality

Not everyone want cheap.

Look at the profit margins being made on e Bikes now by the retailers and distributors.

The CAD $500 e bike cost no more than CAD $150 x factory from China.

Those margins are just ridiculous because it is a niche product with a limited market.

You can buy the exact same e bike in China for hardly more than $200 at retail.

Chinese suppliers get squeezed to the last micro penny, and most of them just don't have the margins to do more.

What they need to do (and they haven't figured it out yet) is to recognize that the margins are in distribution, service, and support, things that they either not do now, or don't do well.

People do pay, and pay well for these services --- look at Hyundai, Yamaha, Toyota, Honda....

All of them make premium priced products... and sell them and make money.

The Chinese got to get out of their rut.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
When you talk about CAD I trust you are talking about Canadian dollars.

Most of the companies you mention are Multi National companies. As I said if you have a sale for 10.000 motor bike motors you may get thier attention. Depends how soon the next order for that amount is comming.

The companies making the motors that are sold are for the most part small companies.
One casts the parts. The next company does the machine work,then mabey the company that sells them puts them together but the better chance is they pick them up and deliver them to the dock to be shipped.

Hyundai is Korean and the rest are Japanese and since I have to assume you not as old as I am ,You do not remember the term Jap. Cr*p that was applied to thier goods after the war.
Yes,you are right, they caught on that good business was smart business and tightend quality control.

Assuming you are right that a bike in China costs $150 at the factory door.
Now Cost to wrap,load on a container $15.00 a bike
Now cost of dock fees, loading fees
container fees,shipping fees $50.00 Landed on the East Coast. Del. Ont
Total $215.00 in your store.

Now you have bikes to prep,repair parts to repair bikes not right from factory, returns from customers, store over head, advertising to sell these fine bikes you have, trips to China to check on quality control or hire someone to do it over there. Still with me GTA1.Employees to cover you while you are gone, insurance because the first person hurt on your bike is suing you for at least a million, Lawyer on retainer because you are going to be sued, sure as you get up every morning, the accounting firm to handle the books because you are honest and with the windfall profits you are making as an E-bike dealer the government has you in thier sights.
Oh yes storage for all the parts that are no good because you can't return them and you can't fix them because you can't afford too.

The only thing I would ask is that when you open up your e-bike store to cash it on the big money, please let me know. I'd like to come to the Grand Opening and shake the hand of a very brave man!
Steve.

Last edited: