Greetings from Florida

GoldenMotor.com

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I don't have a bike yet. I'm interested in building one, but I'm still gathering ideas, not sure which way I'm going to go yet but leaning more towards custom. So I'll be lurking around for awhile, checking out others builds and chiming in when I have questions.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We have quite few Florida members. They're scattered all over the 'Sunshine State'.

Without knowing your skills or mechanical experience I'll make a suggestion regarding your idea about building a "custom" bike. These things look simple but some folks get into trouble trying to get too ambitious with their first bike. You might want to stick to a basic build for your first. This will give you some experience to draw from and make a custom build a little easier and have a better chance of being successful and reliable.
Just a suggestion and not talking down to you, just offering some insight.
Good luck.

Tom

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I have a bit more mechanical experience than your average noob. I've had friends with mopeds, scooters, motorbicycles, three wheelers and quads, and I've helped work on a few of them. That's actually what's steering me away from the basic kits. Watching my friends work on theirs more than they rode them. I have a fairly good idea in my head of what type of bike I want, a couple of my friends built customs so I'm well aware of what the process entails. I'm also a large man, so I know the basically kits won't haul me around at a decent clip or get me up hills without a lot of modifications, which aren't worth the hassle when there are better engines that make more power right out of the box. I'm looking hard at a 79cc predator. I'm well practiced in bicycle mechanics also. I've built my own wheels in the past, and I will most likely be building heavy duty custom wheels.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Then it sounds like you're a few steps ahead. Go for it!
There are quite a few Predator builds here. Check our DYI, non kit section or type in 79cc Predator in the search box and you'll see what others have done using that engine.

Best of luck and keep us informed with your build.

Tom

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
Thanks, mostly I'm digging around trying to come up with a way to obtain generator power right now, I'm aware of some options that exist but trying to come up with the least amount or smallest moving parts possible and still keep it reliable. I have an idea of what I want to build, friends of mine have spare parts from junk bikes and such and one of my buddies has a vintage frame, not sure of the make but it's got a very spacious triangle and two top bars, so i know a predator will fit comfortably. Im waiting to see if I or anyone else comes up with any ideas for the electrical side, that way i know exactly what i want to do before i build and i can pretty much do everything in one process. I'd hate to put it all together just to tear it apart to install electrical components, especially if theyre going to get big and bulky. I think it will also be easier to install wiring first, but right now i just dont know exactly where im running wires to.