New Rider questions

GoldenMotor.com

knvern

May 31, 2014
Wesminster, MD
Hey Everyone, I'm looking to get into a motorized bicycle - and I've got a few questions

I'm looking to get it mainly for my drive to work(~5mi). I live in the country where its fairly hilly, So I'm a little concerned about the bike on those hills. I live in MD, so I have to have something under 50cc without having to register it. would a 49cc model be sufficient? I weigh roughly 140-145 lbs. Also, Are the cc's stamped or printed on the motor anywhere? If not, in theory, could I get away with a 66cc? If they look identical I don't see why not?
And what types of speeds can I expect on both motors?

Also, I see you can motorize mountain bikes, however I'm curious how that works with having different gears on a mountain bike?

I'm not concerned with installation because I've been working on cars for years, and have been around small engines my entire life, however I just need someone that can explain to me how that works.

I'm looking to spend around 200$ on a decent motor kit, so I'm willing to pay more for better parts. If anyone could recommend a nice brand or website please let me know

I appreciate any input anyone has to offer

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, I have two 48cc two stroke bikes that carry me very well and I weigh 210lbs. The gears don't have anything to do with the engine chain unless you add a shift kit from a place like sick bike parts, sbp is a vendor on the side of this page. You will probably want a dual brake lever for the right side so you can have just the clutch lever on the left. I get about 31 to 32 wide open on flat ground with a stock 44 tooth sprocket, you will have to pedal some on steep hills. Only someone that knows these engines can tell the difference, all48 engines have 6mm head studs and all newer 66 engines have 8mm studs.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to our community and we're glad you've joined. Most of your questions are common ones asked by a lot of new builders and the answers you'll get are/will be based on the experience of the responders. There isn't much that is carved in stone except for the basic mechanical aspects such as proper sprocket/chain alignment and tension, engine mounting and general condition of the bike you choose to motorize. Greg covered some of the basics for you and his advice, as always is sound.

You might want to explore our 'Search' feature, type in a word or two on the subject you have questions about and you'll be rewarded with pages of discussion on that topic.

Good luck and have fun.

Tom