Kansas checking in!

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B.

Dec 23, 2008
Dodge City
Dodge City, Kansas checking in here!

I commute 5 miles to work one way. This last summer my left knee started giving me alot of pain, so I thought I'd check out an e-bike or a motorized bicycle.

I've never even seen a motorize bicycle before. Just pictures. A few questions:

Are they loud? If they are anything like my weed-eater, my neighbors would drag me off it and string me up.

Where can I find laws about them? I mean, if they go faster than 20 mph I need to register, Ins. and tag it?

Anything specific a guy would need to look at before buying one?

Any suggestions about where to buy one?

Thanks!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Mike, welcome. Here is a link to laws section,Laws and Legislation - Motorized Bicycle Tavern at Motorized Bicycle Forum

The 2 strokes are kind of weed whacker sounding. 4 strokes are almost as loud but have more a hum like a lawn mower. The odd thing about these lil wonders is they are very addicting and great fun to ride. Most folks seem to be planning their next build during their first build. All the advertisers to the left are members here. There is also a review of dealers thread.

Glad to meet ya!

Last edited:

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Yeh Weed eater sounding, but it is not like a weed eater next door that runs just as you are trying to take a nap, Because you will be a long gone leprechaun, and my neighbors think I am cheap entertainment. The sit outside having BBQ, drink beer and watch what the heck I do next in my garage, So go for it, and welcome to the forum.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I corrected it, but got left and right confused. Thats Dax, bikeberry and spookytooth to the left is where I meant to point. My bad, sorry. I can not vouch for to the right.

Mike B.

Dec 23, 2008
Dodge City
Hey guys,

Thanks for the welcome!

I'll do some looking into 2 and 4 cycle motors. Not quite sure which one would fit my application best. I have about 3 moderate hills to climb, but nothing to big.

The bike I now ride...well I won't be able to convert it...so I'll be looking at a completely new system.

My boss says I can only have one bike at a time. They take up to much room hanging from the rafters in the garage. (so she says) I guess she just doesn't understand how men operate. :ride2:

Mike B.

Dec 23, 2008
Dodge City
Dude Get an electric and charge it at work Stickit to the man or in this case woman lol
At home, my boss = my wife.

I have given e-bikes a look. No problemo about charging it at work. Although Lith-on batteries are kinda high priced. Figured a motorized would be cheaper.

Talk to ya later!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, know what ya mean about home hierarchy. But One does need a minimum of 3 bicycles. A working MB, MB almost done or in need of repair. The 3rd being "This is gonna be awesome. The best MB in history!"

Some folks keep a Bicycle as is just to ride but thats just crazy

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I agree with Dan and the best one is always the first one you sell or build for someone else. Well I have only messed with the two cycle in frame motors, and was pulling your leg about the electric, even though they may be just the thing. It seems the right bike is a very personal thing, Does it fit who you are and what you are going to do with it. Knowlege is power, so this forum is a power house of knowlege. Good luck on your build.