new to this

GoldenMotor.com

xbiggietx

May 9, 2012
tx
im from Texas and completely new to motorbikes. about a week ago I was fed up with my car and looking for a bike on Craigslist when i saw one. I love the idea of it and been wanting one ever since. The only problem is that i don't want to get rip off. im not a mechanic and have no idea what to look for. I don't know whether i should buy one or build one. my dads a mechanic and could help me build if i need to. Any tips on what to look for?
And would this bike save me money or cost money if i use it to replace most of my cars driving

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Hey Biggie welcome to the forum. Everyone has different motivations for motorbicycling. As far as building your own or buying one already built. It depends on mechanical and building ability. Building it yourself would probably save you some money. But if you don't have the ability to finish it then you have wasted money. There's lots of help and info here.

I thought I would use mine to commute to work and save some gas money. But I realized a few days a week I needed to go the bank and didn't feel secure going back and forth with bank bag full of cash and checks. So I'm back to driving my car every day.

So I would recommend reading all you can here and ask lots of questions. Then you will be able to make informed decisions about how you want to proceed.....

xbiggietx

May 9, 2012
tx
thanks for the info. yea my job is from 9 to 5am and it would help alot because buses don't even run that early.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
You could keep your car and save a bunch on gas money. Depends how far you have to go for work. The engine you most likely saw is a 2 stroke "china girl" or also known as "happy time" engine. The bikes with the engine can last a very long time if built right. The engines aren't built well in the factory and are known to be a jack in the box. You never know if you have a good one until you ride for a couple hundred miles. If you follow a guide from al.fisherman you won't have issues, but it requires a bit more mechanical aptitude

There are alternatives that can last you a very long time. You may consider a friction drive (mounts over the rear tire) from thatsdax.com. Any member here will recommend thatsdax. It may not be the best website but if you call Duane you'll see why. Best customer support out of any vendor out there.