Hello

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Hey folks, new to the site and happy to find it. I'm in Vancouver, B.C.
I've just finished my second build but don't have any pics of it to post yet.

This is my ride, it's a Nishiki/Norco Apache fitted out with a 66/80cc motor. There have already been some tweaks and changes since these were taken.

With the 36-tooth drive gear and a factory carb, I've hit 49.1 kph, with the Speed NT carb I had to back it down when I topped 61 kph due to a speed wobble that began to develop (darned crosswind).

CT

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks dirt. I've had this bike since it was new back in the early 90's.

I use the beast to get to and from work etc, so I need to carry my gear. The front basket is actually turned sideways on, the hooks that are intended to go over the handlebars actually hook backwards around the stem post below the bars instead. It sits on a short front rack I picked up from a local shop as well, with more cable ties. The basket gave me a good place to fasten the air bottle for the horn and a place to put a cup-holder (bottle cage) on the back left and right corners.
The back one is just a nice chrome finish shopping basket someone left somewhere cable tied onto the rear rack after the carriers were hooked on (effectively locking them onto the rack too).
The reflective strips are on pieces of corrugated plastic, small cable ties hold the ends to the baskets. Across the middle of the back basket I have a reflective leg-strap with red LEDs that either blink or stay solid stretched across and it works pretty well as a rear light (in addition to the one on my helmet). Pre-motorization I was hit by someone running a stop sign. They claimed the didn't see me, so that's part of my response.

dirt

Aug 13, 2011
United States
Oh man, I hope you didn't get too injured. I'm off to get some lights and more reflectors as well. I just took a ride through a tunnel that was once a train tunnel. It was two miles long with no lighting. Talk about dark. I decided right then and there that I needed more lights and reflectors.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Yeah, that'd make me want a few more lights too. Eventually I may go to a light system run from the motor, but I already had everything else before the motor came along. The front lights are battery-less wind-up lights.

The driver caught me with the right front corner of her bumper against the frame of my bike just in front of the back hub. I know the bike and I did one full 360, and I did at least one more on the ground. Nothing broken on me, just some deep bruising to where I landed on my back and shoulder. She'd done a rolling stop, so her speed was low at the time fortunately. The bike shop took care of the repairs and frame straightening. They handled it like they see it all the time around here.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
So, as promised, here's two pics of my second build (posted in my album here along with pics of the first). This one is my wife's, the next thing we do now is invent a trailer for it out of the stuff I have in the garage. Two main differences are the factory carb and a 48-tooth sprocket on this one vs. the NT carb and 36-tooth on mine.
It runs pretty nicely, and going uphill had good power over a long uphill run.