Felt MP with 6.5+hp engine hidden in rear of a sidecar?

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Anyone have any opinions or ideas about with a 6.5+hp 4 stroke engine partially hidden in the rear of an adult sized sidecar attached to a cruiser (Felt MP)? If not I'll just go for broke, build it myself and post it up here when I'm done. From a distance, I want it to appear like any other WWII era bicycle with a sidecar attached to it.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Anyone have any opinions or ideas about with a 6.5+hp 4 stroke engine partially hidden in the rear of an adult sized sidecar attached to a cruiser (Felt MP)? If not I'll just go for broke, build it myself and post it up here when I'm done. From a distance, I want it to appear like any other WWII era bicycle with a sidecar attached to it.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Felt MP with 6.5+Hp engine mounted in a sidecar?

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Re: Felt MP with 6.5+Hp engine mounted in a sidecar?

Go for it!!!!
I sure would like to see it when compleated. That should be AWESOME.

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn

Sounds good to me although I would be concerned about having the driven wheel off to the side. Would the driven wheel create a safety concern when you turn to the left and the side car wheel lifts off the road. Would the motor driven wheel suddenlyspeed up and grab the road and cause the bike to pull to the left. [when the wheel makes contact back with the road. Also turning right would the side car drive wheel cause the front wheel to lose traction especially on wet streets.
I like the side car on the Russia Urel where both rear wheels pull
Just a thought

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Actually I'm going to bolt a go kart frame to the side of the Felt MP and remove all the wheels, steering wheel and front assembly from the go kart and attach a single bike wheel to the rear outside of the go kart. The go kart already has all the hardware and mounts for the engine and a seat for the side car.

I was really just worried about torque steer with the engine not being mounted on the bike itself.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Actually I'm going to bolt a go kart frame to the side of the Felt MP and remove all the wheels, steering wheel and front assembly from the go kart and attach a single bike wheel to the rear outside of the go kart. The go kart already has all the drivetrain, hardware and mounts for the engine and a seat for the side car.

I was really just worried about torque steer with the engine not being mounted on the bike itself. The bike itself is completely stock.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

The sidecar wheel will be the drive wheel using a go kart frame bolted to the side of the Felt MP. The engine will be hidden behind the sidecar seat just as it is on a Go Kart.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Actually I'm going to bolt a go kart frame to the side of the Felt MP and remove all the wheels, steering wheel and front assembly from the go kart and attach a single bike wheel to the rear outside of the go kart. The go kart already has all the drive train, hardware and mounts for the engine and a seat for the side car.

I was really just worried about torque steer with the engine not being mounted on the bike itself. The bike itself is completely stock.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Actually I'm going to bolt a go kart frame to the side of the Felt MP and remove all the wheels, steering wheel and front assembly from the go kart and attach a single bike wheel to the rear outside of the go kart. The go kart already has all the drive train, hardware and mounts for the engine and a seat for the side car.

I was really just worried about torque steer with the engine not being mounted on the bike. The bike itself is completely stock.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

I want the 4 stroke engine (200+cc) to be as fast, quiet, and hidden from view as possible. It will be directly behind the seat (the same location, mount, drivetrain that comes with the go kart frame).

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota

You do know that you are going to have to change the gearing,to slow it down to put a bike wheel on?

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Sounds good to me although I would be concerned about having the driven wheel off to the side. Would the driven wheel create a safety concern when you turn to the left and the side car wheel lifts off the road. Would the motor driven wheel suddenlyspeed up and grab the road and cause the bike to pull to the left. [when the wheel makes contact back with the road. Also turning right would the side car drive wheel cause the front wheel to lose traction especially on wet streets.
Just a thought
Yep, that was exactly what I was worried about. What side of the bike to mount the sidecar? Torque steer and cornering. Weight and balance issues.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Just a thought
You do know that you are going to have to change the gearing,to slow it down to put a bike wheel on?
Yep. It will also have a Comet torque converter on it and a side mounted air scoop to cool the engine

Attachments

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Sounds like an awesome project. Which wheel are you intending to drive? The sidecar wheel, the bicycle wheel or both?
I'm going to drive the sidecars 24" Felt (w/Thick Bricks) wheel, which will be mounted to a go kart frame. All steering components and the other 3 kart wheels will be removed. The engine will be were it normally mounts on the go kart. I will make sidecar panels around the go kart frame and paint it the same olive drab green as the Felt MP. From a distance it will look like any other bike with a side car on it. The engine and fuel tank will be out of sight and out of mind. That should keep the Police dazed and confused as much as possible. I'll be doing a lot of fake pedaling. LOL

Attachments

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
When I was a kid there was a legless biker dude in town who built something sort of like this, but it was obviously a motorcycle & the engine was in the usual place. The cool part was that he could drive & steer from the sidecar & a passenger could ride on the bike seat.

Didn't see too many passengers on that thing....

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
When I was a kid there was a legless biker dude in town who built something sort of like this, but it was obviously a motorcycle & the engine was in the usual place. The cool part was that he could drive & steer from the sidecar & a passenger could ride on the bike seat.

Didn't see too many passengers on that thing....
All I'm building is a glorified pusher cart for the engine. Instead of the pusher cart being behind the bike, it will be bolted to the side of the bike. The go kart frame is the obvious choice because the seat, frame, engine mount and drivetrain are already proven. It's form following function. What could possibly go wrong at 50+mph as long as I don't hit a pothole? LOL .trlrl.