Hand Grips

GoldenMotor.com

GothTech

Apr 16, 2010
ga
i got some hand grips from my bike shop and want to use them on my new build i know the throttle grip is a little bigger is there any way to mod the new grips to work with the throttle ?

Aug 2, 2011
San Diego, Califronia
Well, depending on if the grips are all rubber. If they are all rubber than you can stretch them. You could even heat them up with a blow drier.

If the grips have a plastic ring on them as the ones in the pic do, then you are screwed as far as the throttle side goes.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have not used those particular grips. I have used grips similar to those. Its really hard for me to say they might work? Let us know.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While ofc plastic endcaps wont stretch so they're out - you can get a soft bicycle grip over the throttle tube w/some effort. The easiest way I've found is to dissemble the throttle completely so ya have just the tube & soaking the grip in hot, slightly soapy water.

While trying to force the grip onto the plastic kit throttle tube, it's best if you slide it onto the handlebar for support, it's fragile and you could break it otherwise. The reason to disassemble it is so when the grip cools you can throw the whole thing back in the bucket to heat up again ;)

Stock squishy Schwinn grips;

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I use kinda the same method for grips... wrap a rag around it and pour boiling water from a pan off the stove on it. Let it set for a while.

A blow dryer would sure keep my shoes cleaner! lol
rc

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
It's never very good trying to put regular bike grips over a throtle grip- there's an 1/8" difference in the diameter and you're likely to damage the throttle body- especially the plastic ones with the China girl kits

I have a set I got from a vendor that looks almost like your grips- less the ten dollars shipped I think-

I took off the chromed plastic ends because they just made the bars wider and lessened clearance in traffic.

Last edited: