Rusted Fuel Tank Repair

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've been doing a little research and I've been hearing that 'Kreem' might not stand up well to the ethanol fuels.

I did find this > Cycle Tank Sealer - Fuel Tank Sealer - Best Tank Sealer in the World
and from what I'm reading it might be a superior product.
Anyone tried it?

I have a great looking little tank that had some rusted pin holes that I soldered closed and it doesn't leak but I'm concerned that the lead might not hold up to the vibration and temperature changes summer to winter. I'd like to coat the inside as assurance but not sure of the product choice.
Tom

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Have you considered this?

Caswell Inc. - Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer

Not only seals gas tanks, but can be used as a potting compound (waterproofing magnetos)

Creating non-skid surfaces (foot pegs and friction drive rollers)

More info on epoxies:
Epoxy Resins

I have used it to successfully restore a gas tank for a 1965 Toro FLYMO.
The tank has so many pinhole leaks that it could have been used as a pasta strainer, but now it is perfect and the mower is used weekly.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I decided on the KBS product I'd linked in the first post. I've done the first two steps, cleaning and derusting. I'm amazed. The rust inside the tank is essentially gone and left a clean, etched surface. I'm going to pour in the sealer today and see what happens. It takes 96 hours for the sealer to fully cure so it will be a few days before I can check for leaks. There were no leaks after my solder job but the etching could have made some thin spots.
I tried to take some photos of the inside of the tank, before and after but couldn't get a decent one.
I'll keep you posted.
Incidentally, This tank was a gift from Scott, skjjoe, one of our members who stopped in during a family visit to Denver last summer. Thanks, my friend. It's gonna look cool on the old Jag when it's painted.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Day two: The KBS coating has set up and started to harden. I coated the tank mount with the leftover product and it is as hard as a rock. It looks like shiny aluminum paint but thicker and harder.
I'll start painting in the next day or two, after I've leak checked the tank. So far I'm really impressed with the KBS stuff. If the inside of the tank comes out like the mount it will never leak. It kind or reminds me of a ceramic coating.
Tom

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I am using a plastic tank now, but used Kreem on two previous tanks and never had any problems. my personal opinion? kreem is the way to go. epoxy hardens, so it can break apart. kreem is an elastomer. it stretches like elmers glue and never completely hardens. i dont think epoxy will withstand temperature changes as well as an elastomer. kreem works if you do it right.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Tom, I agree with Big BB, the Kreme elastic properties is most likely going to last. I have used GE silicone for years repairing the gas tanks on my old cars and trucks. Under the tank straps is where they tend to leak. I first used it on a Triumph mc tank the seam was leaking it worked and I still have the Triumph it's now 42 years old.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Finished. This wasn't a cheap job when you consider the sealer, primer, color and clear coat but, hey, the tank was a freebie. The tank is from a 50cc Suzsuki Junior. It holds about 2 and half quarts, a little more than the kit peanut tanks. Looks much better, me thinks.
Got it mounted today. Here's some finished photos.
Tom

Attachments

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
Awesome Tom. Glad it finally came out .Sorry you had to put so much into it to get it to work . It sure looks so much better than the kit tank. And that paint looks great

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks guys.
No problem with the work that went into it, Scott. It looks so much better on that old Jag than the kit tank that whatever it took was well worth it. Thanks again for the tank. If you make it back to Denver this summer maybe we'll have more time and we can have a beer :)
Tom

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I always like the Jag.
The tank looks to fit the bike nicely.
Really professional paint job buddy.

Is the Southport the newer version of the Jag with a different color scheme?
I'm really leaning toward that for my next build, with different handle bars and some other subtle changes.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey 2door what kind of mirror is that? looks like what I want.
Greg,
The mirror is from a 70s vintage Honda 70. The photo makes it look huge but actually it's only 3" in diameter. I got both mirrors from the Honda and used the other one on another bike. I made the handlebar mount from a 7/8" two piece shaft collar with a 10mm nut welded to it to accept the mirror shaft. No vibration. The image is rock solid.
Tom

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
I have leaks around the tanks mounting studs. I will empty the tank fill it with water and braze it when I get my torches refilled tell then two part puddy will do any port in a storm and heck if it holds I'll do something like the dishes