Cold/starter recoil problems

GoldenMotor.com

Criminal Lawyer

Jul 29, 2010
Bozeman
It has been rather cold here recently, this morning was a bit below zero. I have noticed that when it is cold, sometimes my starter cord will not recoil properly. My bike started fine this morning (below zero), but the starter cord did not recoil at all and I can’t seem to jiggle it to get it to recoil like I usually can. Any suggestions?

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
My first question is why did you start your bike? Were you going to ride it when it's below zero? I'm assuming you don't have a Grubee pull start motor. On mine you have to rebuild the starter assembly every time you pull on it so I never wonder why it doesn't recoil.

Criminal Lawyer

Jul 29, 2010
Bozeman
I started my bike so I could ride home from my girlfriend's house. I attempt to use my bike for all non-work related transport (I must wear a suit to work). I have the Grubee 4g with the pull start. Are you trying to tell me that I have to disassemble the starter mechanism?

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
It sounds like it, the inside of the spring probably pulled off of the retainer. No big deal, four screws. Can you coil the rope up and zip tie it to something and pedal start the bike?