new cruiser build

GoldenMotor.com

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Yeah thanks guys I like how its coming out so far.yeah I'm going to do the exhaust the same way.hopefully it will be done by the next ride if not ill ride the gray one .

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Well I got my wheels today and got the bike running. The clutch seems a bit loud but seems to be working okay .ill put some miles on it and see how it goes.the bike rides very nice feels real solid and I'm thinking of putting these forks on my gray bike.changed the gearing on the pedal side so much better and both chains went on without a problem .I need a pipe and air filter and front brakes and its done.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Would be cool to get a price for my Dyno mebbe? I am torn between making a rounded out fiber glass ditty or these steel ones.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I'd love to have one for my AMF cruiser, it looks to be very similar in shape and size. I'd need to know the dims to make sure it would fit though.

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
i have had a few people contact me about the tanks.I wish i had the time to make a few extra .I have been riding the bike a little seems to be running good . What a difference a tuned pipe makes . I am going to have to get one soon for sure .

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The bike looks really good and your tank is perfect. What frame is that? Schwinn? And what is the front fork? I'm asking partly because if that is a 1" headset I'd like to know more about the fork... really looks good and helps withe 'the look'. Thumbs up..,
SB

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Thanks, Yeah this is a early 80's Schwinn cruiser.The forks are for a one inch head tube.I have another cruiser with a Monarch springer front fork and these forks blow those away. Ill be switching over to these forks soon .With the studded balloon tires I don't miss the springer you get a nice ride with that set up . dnut

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks, Yeah this is a early 80's Schwinn cruiser.The forks are for a one inch head tube.I have another cruiser with a Monarch springer front fork and these forks blow those away. Ill be switching over to these forks soon .With the studded balloon tires I don't miss the springer you get a nice ride with that set up . dnut
Please, tell me where you get them. Have a link? I've been debating what to buy for a customers build on a 49 Panther... old Schwinn springers are expensive and may have weak, worn out springs anyway. New ones are reportedly not very well made and again have weak springs. Monarks are also reportedly not well made and need to be reinforced with welding, bringing the price to over $200.00 with shipping. If you're going to spend that kind of money, might as well get something worth having in the first place. Did you have to modify anything? I have similar looking forks on a 50 Schwinn Motorbike and love them.. from a newer Whizzer. Your help would be much appreciated.
SB

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Do you happen to have a drawing or some dimensions on the tank that would help us out? We might be able to find local guys that could weld them up for us. Thanks!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I got them from a vender on here named piston bikes .they have them for a great price check them out .
I see they are straight tubes( without suspension). My customer wants a sprung front end. I sure like the way yours looks, and yes, that's a good price. Is your Monark type the one they are selling? Theirs sounds pretty well made. I wonder. Thanks for your help.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Do you happen to have a drawing or some dimensions on the tank that would help us out? We might be able to find local guys that could weld them up for us. Thanks!
I'd suggest cutting some pieces of poster board to the shape of your tank and taping them together into the shape and dimension you want. Fit and trim. Then you'll have your dimensions for each piece and will know it is going to fit your particular bike. You may be surprised at what it will cost to have someone weld one up for you. There's a lot of work and skill involved. I'm thinking to make one for my old Schwinn this winter out of copper, a project I know will not be cheap even for materials alone and which will also be time consuming. But an in frame tank looks so nice. There are so many cantilever framed bikes out there that it would be good if someone tooled things up and produced them by machine. Probably not gonna happen, but it would be nice to just order one.
But if everybody had one they wouldn't be special anymore, would they? One reason the aluminum tank of this thread is so eye catching is that it is CUSTOM and was made by hand. Very cool.
SB

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
A little update , I got my pipe and air filter today and got it mounted with my silencer. It came out good im just waiting on my front brakes and the bike is done. I might make a brake light for it . I also messed with the jetting and my needle position today got it running really good It had a little surge in it and i guess with the pipe and new air filter it was running a bit lean .I dropped the needle down that got rid of the surge .

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Bike is complete as of today just finished up putting on the disc brake . I really like the way this bike rides .I am going to have to switch up my gray one I think .

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
did you use a type of hard piping or high temp silicon from the Expansion chamber to the muffler/baffle? I'm wondering as I have just the expansion chamber and I need to quiet mine down a bit, my ears actually ring for a bit once I get back from a ride!