welders

GoldenMotor.com

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I just bought one from Harbor Frieght....I got the 220v version though.....Stay away from the 110v version,...The 220v one is perfect for the hobby type worker....Flux core or sheilding gas can be used.....I got it on sale for $179.....About the best bang for the buck .....

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I just bought one from Harbor Frieght....I got the 220v version though.....Stay away from the 110v version,...The 220v one is perfect for the hobby type worker....Flux core or sheilding gas can be used.....I got it on sale for $179.....About the best bang for the buck .....
Are you saying that the HF 110v sucks or that generally 110v sucks?

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Are you saying that the HF 110v sucks or that generally 110v sucks?
WOW, I didn`t say anything sucked but I did intially by the 110v version and didn`t too much care for it myself.....Some people have it and seems to work for what they need it for....I think it was like $89 on sale, so I just boxed it back up and swapped it for the 220v flux core dual mig model#94164......JMO...
Paul....
(110v dosen`t suck)I use 110v`s all day long in my home,LOL......
Maybe the HF 110v might suck for others to use.....

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Stay away from the 110v version
WOW, I didn`t say anything sucked but I did intially by the 110v version and didn`t too much care for it myself.....Some people have it and seems to work for what they need it for....I think it was like $89 on sale, so I just boxed it back up and swapped it for the 220v flux core dual mig model#94164......JMO...
Paul....
(110v dosen`t suck)I use 110v`s all day long in my home,LOL......
Maybe the HF 110v might suck for others to use.....
Sorry, I was paraphrasing. Your initial "stay away" is what I summed up as sucking. Thanks for the clarification. I know that some 110v welders are great machines. Don't know anything about HF welding equipment other than hoods, tips, and such. That is some good info. My dad was looking at buying the 110v HF. I will pass along your findings to him. He didn't want to spend $300 or so for a Lincoln or better name brand. Kind of funny to me, he was a welder through his entire working career and would use almost nothing but Lincoln. Now that he's not a "prefessional tradesman" he will settle for less.

Last edited:

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Sorry, I was paraphrasing. Your initial "stay away" is what I summed up as sucking. Thanks for the clarification. I know that some 110v welders are great machines. Don't know anything about HF welding equipment other than hoods, tips, and such. That is some good info. My dad was looking at buying the 110v HF. I will pass along your findings to him. He didn't want to spend $300 or so for a Lincoln or better name brand. Kind of funny to me, he was a welder through his entire working career and would use almost nothing but Lincoln. Now that he's not a "prefessional tradesman" he will settle for less.
Hey no prob.`s.....
If your dad has welding experience then the 220v dual mig will suit him just fine....I went to LOWE`s and was gonna spend the $300 for their welder But I only need it for part time hobby work....I just got a HB flyer in the mail today and the 220v welder is on sale again, so go get one before they sell out.....I just welded up my kickstand and a exhaust muffler, and a few other parts and it works excellant for me.....
Good luck,
Paul....

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I bought a Century wire feed welder at Wally world uses Lincoln flux core wire 0.035 dia.
It works good only down side is you are more likely to have burn through holes when welding thin gauge metal. Something else is the weld will need cleaned as the flux core wire is messy. It will have slag and splatters that will need to be cleaned off.
I prefer O/A gas welding for the thin stuff.
For the price of the Harbor freight welders when on sale you can't beat the price. I don't think you will see a professional welder using one to make a living. But for the hobbyist welder they should be good.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I bought a Century wire feed welder at Wally world uses Lincoln flux core wire 0.035 dia.
It works good only down side is you are more likely to have burn through holes when welding thin gauge metal. Something else is the weld will need cleaned as the flux core wire is messy. It will have slag and splatters that will need to be cleaned off.
I prefer O/A gas welding for the thin stuff.
For the price of the Harbor freight welders when on sale you can't beat the price. I don't think you will see a professional welder using one to make a living. But for the hobbyist welder they should be good.
X2.... After cleaning off the flux the welds actually look pre damn good.....And as far as burn through , ya just can`t make a long weld on the thinner stuff....I just welded an intake tube and I just did a bunch of little tacks all around it then looked for any pin holes and touched on them a little.....NO, deffinetly not to be a welder to make your living off of....But for $179 you can`t go wrong for weekend stuff......