10 most influential eBike people of 2017

GoldenMotor.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
#9 Philip Hillis
sondors harris

2017 signaled a new day in the ebike world, and it’s when Facebook E-bike groups became as big and as influential as forums were. Philip Hillis started and runs probably the most active Facebook ebike group, the Sondors Storm Owners Group which has not only 5000 members, but is very active and has positive members.
You would have 5001 members if you hadn't banned me! laff
A lot of Sondors FB members act like cult members.

Oh yeah my Sondors is a mediocre but flashy eBike, The GF's Radrover is more than twice the bike in every way.

Congrats on your 9th place mention! :D

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You would have 5001 members if you hadn't banned me! laff
A lot of Sondors FB members act like cult members.

Oh yeah my Sondors is a mediocre but flashy eBike, The GF's Radrover is more than twice the bike in every way.

Congrats on your 9th place mention! :D
I'm sorry about that Neil, it's not personal, but besides the fact that you drive people crazy with your continual negative comments, in order to be a member of the owners group you actually have to own a Storm, or be planning to buy one.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I'm sorry about that Neil, it's not personal, but besides the fact that you drive people crazy with your continual negative comments, in order to be a member of the owners group you actually have to own a Storm, or be planning to buy one.
I still own a black/ yellow Sondors, paid $600 for it with 2 stock batteries
which is about what it is worth.

That's how I know it's a mediocre ebike when compared to my
gf's Radrover, personal experience.......

Some Sondors members really do display cultish behaviour about their
bikes and being in the club.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I still own a black/ yellow Sondors, paid $600 for it with 2 stock batteries
which is about what it is worth.

That's how I know it's a mediocre ebike when compared to my
gf's Radrover, personal experience.......

Some Sondors members really do display cultish behaviour about their
bikes and being in the club
You're not the first person I've heard say that, and it's probably true. You'll find the same cultish behavior with any brand of bike where the vast majority of owners love their bikes. You obviously weren't one of them.

It's pretty easy for a Honda owner to make a good argument that his bike is superior to a Harley, but it's a bad idea to try to make that point in a Harley owners group, which is similar to what you were doing.

The Storm may be a mediocre eBike to some people, but where it's different from all other brands is no other eBike brand has sold so many thousands of the same model, in as short of time, to so many people of such different experience levels. Add to that the fact that Storm's were designed from scratch with ease of modification in mind. Practically from day one owners started customizing their bikes to fit their own personal needs, and desires, and it didn't take long before major venders took notice. Now they're offering accessories to your hearts desire specifically made for Storm's. I'm sure that's a driving force behind the Storm's wildly enthusiastic popularity, but having the largest eBike owners group in the history of eBikes probably doesn't hurt either.

Last edited:

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
Congratulations. But I think this editors qualification excluded most of the real most influential people from the list. > Editor Note: This list excludes anyone who owns an ebike company and makes a living off of Ebikes. Nobody wants to pick the top 10 of those…what a bag of cats that would be.

It's great that you host FB group but since you have to already be an owner to join the group (or even view the content), how much influence do you have? No offense intended.

In regards to the cult like behavior, IMO it's a direct result to limiting the site to only Sondor owners. I'm a member of number of brand specific sites and none of them require ownership. People go to such sites to learn about a product they maybe interested in buying and want to learn more from people with real life experience. Members understand the pros AND cons of the products and are willing to reasonably discuss them. Most of those sites have members that own more than one brand. When you limit differing opinion things just turn into a circle jerk of people cheerleading their brands greatness.
The one and only thing that made Sondors sales big was the low initial price where you do get a decent value for the cost, allowing people to enter the ebike world when most bikes are priced much more. And that is an accomplishment, but there was\is nothing innovative about the bike other than the low entry price. The truth is the stock bike is lacking and needs quite a bit more money invested to make it on scale with most starter bikes that currently go for $1500 - $2000 new. In the end, once you modify the Sondors bike properly your right up to the same price point.

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
I'm sure that's a driving force behind the Storm's wildly enthusiastic popularity, but having the largest eBike owners group in the history of eBikes probably doesn't hurt either.
The size of the FB owners group is the result of the number of sales, not the other way around.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The size of the FB owners group is the result of the number of sales, not the other way around.
Very true, massive sales definitely are a huge driving force behind the success of our independent owners group, one of several actually. We're just honored to be the biggest. Even though sales started over 2 years ago, the group is still growing rapidly. Since this article was written 2 months ago, we've already added another 725 members.

What's really interesting to me is where a lot of new members are coming from. We're world wide. We have thousands of pictures of owners bikes in front of famous landmarks from all over the world. Storm Sondors is in the process of expanding into India, and farther into Europe. Soon a 7 speed 500w fatty will be available, and a new folding bike.

And in case anyone is interested, we don't actually require members to be owners. Anyone with interest in our bikes is welcome long enough to figure out if they'd like to become an owner. We are an owners group after all, so there has to be some small semblance of exclusivity lol.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
In regards to the cult like behavior, IMO it's a direct result to limiting the site to only Sondor owners. I'm a member of number of brand specific sites and none of them require ownership. People go to such sites to learn about a product they maybe interested in buying and want to learn more from people with real life experience. Members understand the pros AND cons of the products and are willing to reasonably discuss them. Most of those sites have members that own more than one brand. When you limit differing opinion things just turn into a circle jerk of people cheerleading their brands greatness.
The one and only thing that made Sondors sales big was the low initial price where you do get a decent value for the cost, allowing people to enter the ebike world when most bikes are priced much more. And that is an accomplishment, but there was\is nothing innovative about the bike other than the low entry price. The truth is the stock bike is lacking and needs quite a bit more money invested to make it on scale with most starter bikes that currently go for $1500 - $2000 new. In the end, once you modify the Sondors bike properly your right up to the same price point.
I tell you what, I give you permission to join our group. If you can convince one owner you know what you're talking about, I'll give you a bazillion dollars lol.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Everyone has their own opinion about the Storm's popularity. Some people point to the cheap price. Some people point to the good looks. Some people think it's the performance, believe it or not, in many country's where Storm's are sold it's considered illegally overpowered for the street. Some believe it's the ease of modification, and the possibility's that are available. Some even credit the owners group, because it's more fun to share with so many like minded people.

One thing that's for sure is, what owners of other brands think of Storm's, has no effect on peoples opinion that actually own one.

I think at the end of the day, the bike is just very loveable, and no one really understands exactly why. That's why it's a phenomenon

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
One thing probably worth noting, Endless Spear Facebook, which includes all brands of eBikes, and has been around longer than the Storm owners Facebook group, has over a thousand less members in their group.

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
One thing probably worth noting, Endless Spear Facebook, which includes all brands of eBikes, and has been around longer than the Storm owners Facebook group, has over a thousand less members in their group.
Probably because Endless-sphere.com forums is where the real action is, not their facebook group. If the sondors owners are happy with the bike and their group, more power to them.
Your wildly enthusiastic hype about the bike fits in fine in your FB group but when you post that crap here someone needs to bring things back to reality. It's that sort of over the top statements that make you sound like a cult recruiter.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Probably because Endless-sphere.com forums is where the real action is, not their facebook group. If the sondors owners are happy with the bike and their group, more power to them.
Your wildly enthusiastic hype about the bike fits in fine in your FB group but when you post that crap here someone needs to bring things back to reality. It's that sort of over the top statements that make you sound like a cult recruiter.
What exactly have I said that you consider crap SR? Personally I'm thinking you're probably just a little jealous.

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
What exactly have I said that you consider crap SR? Personally I'm thinking you're probably just a little jealous.
I just find your over the top cheerleading of a product that is far from innovative annoying. You make it sound like there is something exceptional about it when it's just old technology at a good price. It's successful because of it's low price and I agree you get a lot for your money.
And no, I'm not the least bit jealous of your FB group. I think it's silly for you to waste time with it, but like a Sun Myung Moon follower you seem to be happy with your obsession. - Over and out.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
SR I don't mean to annoy you. Probably block my posts if they rub you the wrong way.

I totally agree there's absolutely nothing exceptional about the Storm's technology. It was stated from the start to be made from all off the shelf parts. No one has been able to really put their finger why this lowly bike is so successful. Something is going on that's larger than the sum of the parts, and as far as eBikes go, this is the first time this has ever happened on this scale.

It's definitely a good thing for eBikes in general, but it's probably going to be good in the long run for some manufacturers.