Motovelo?

GoldenMotor.com

Tankadin

Aug 19, 2011
Ohio
when i do my build i want the best possible engine the one that has tested upgrades etc.. the motovelo brand seems legit and you can get one fully tuned. would this be a good motor kit/upgraded and tuned. to get?

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
i can only say that I have never owned one of the motors they supply but from what i have seen, all of the mods that are done can be done easily by you. There may be no need to pay the extra price for a kit if you can do some work with common garage tools. I surely do not mean to disrespect a company or their product. Just my opinion on the videos I have seen. I can do the mods and save a hundred bucks.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yep, I completely agree on all points inked1974.

Each bike is a bit different and many of the "mods" offered are just hype to make it seem like a logit reason to charge people more, if someone can't handle the simple mods, chances are they can't handle any of the rest of it either, not being ugly here it's just the truth so save a $100 and tweak everything the way you want it and need it to be.

Peace, map

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I was going to buy a motor from Motovelo. I called the guy, he was nice and knowledgeable, but no matter what they tell you, their really just Chinese motors that he ported, billeted, etc.

You can do that yourself.

I would have bought from him, but he didn't even offer a warranty, so I figured If I wasn't going to get a warranty I'd at least buy a Grubee.

Tankadin

Aug 19, 2011
Ohio
Yea ive been known to buy things for the name.. haha plus if i can get it shipped with all the mods for under 350 it will be worth it to me. make me feel like i bought the right china 2-stroke lol

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Hey Tank, give me a call if you have any questions. Our ported HP motors take all the guesswork out of things if you want something ready to GO NOW! I'm always here to help out my customers too if they encounter any difficult steps, or have questions about their build. Let me know. 805-637-1746

Thanks!

East82

Oct 17, 2011
SoCal
Probably better to do it on your own. Heck, you could even ruin a manifold or two and still come out ahead dollar-wise. I made the mistake of buying one of their fully ported engines:

brnot

Last edited:

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
could you really tell us how you feel?
those 3 different posts about the same thing pointing to your web page didn't get your point across.

many of your points are common for many of the engines from all dealers.
like the long throttle cable. normal.
tensioner that needs more parts to function. come on. out of your 12 total posts 3 have been to complain & the others are in the thread about how to fix tensioners.
missing hardware. yea many of us all have been there.
cross threaded mount sud. many of us have already redrilled & tapped those & the intake & exhaust.
also many have had either a cdi or mag go out shortly after getting the engines.
complaining about that you could get it all cheaper somewhere else.
they were upfront about their price. so that would be your fault.
here are the links to fix some of your problems
http://motorbicycling.com/f39/norm-shortening-throttle-cable-9010.html
retap - Google Search

i know you feel buthurt. i know i was pissed @ my bike for awhile till i fixed all the problems & i have read the same from others.
you say he used "that's-the-way-the-kit-comes-so-deal-with-it argument".
gues what? it is true. the china girls are crappy china engines that like a bit of love up front. if you take care of some things, it will get better.

you still might have a couple more problems with the engine.
so to answer your anology about a car deal, when you buy a yugo you get a yugo. pffffffffft

the best advice that can be said is to use the custom google search & the top of the page. it would have/will answer >75% of your questions.

East82

Oct 17, 2011
SoCal
could you really tell us how you feel?
those 3 different posts about the same thing pointing to your web page didn't get your point across.

many of your points are common for many of the engines from all dealers.
like the long throttle cable. normal.
tensioner that needs more parts to function. come on. out of your 12 total posts 3 have been to complain & the others are in the thread about how to fix tensioners.
missing hardware. yea many of us all have been there.
cross threaded mount sud. many of us have already redrilled & tapped those & the intake & exhaust.
also many have had either a cdi or mag go out shortly after getting the engines.
complaining about that you could get it all cheaper somewhere else.
they were upfront about their price. so that would be your fault.
here are the links to fix some of your problems
http://motorbicycling.com/f39/norm-shortening-throttle-cable-9010.html
retap - Google Search

i know you feel buthurt. i know i was pissed @ my bike for awhile till i fixed all the problems & i have read the same from others.
you say he used "that's-the-way-the-kit-comes-so-deal-with-it argument".
gues what? it is true. the china girls are crappy china engines that like a bit of love up front. if you take care of some things, it will get better.

you still might have a couple more problems with the engine.
so to answer your anology about a car deal, when you buy a yugo you get a yugo. pffffffffft

the best advice that can be said is to use the custom google search & the top of the page. it would have/will answer >75% of your questions.
The tensioner has been a a major point of contention with me, but I think I got it licked. Please understand that I'm new with bike motors and so I really cannot add anything that hasn't already been posted from a more authoritative source.

At the time I honestly thought they were the only dealer able to sell in California, hence the higher price. Yep, I was really angry with the guy and yes, I have since learned tons and almost all of it from this site. I went from zero to sort of proficient in about four days. A total engine rebuild is still beyond my skill, but I am coming along. Heck, I even repaired another guy's rig.

The guy at MV offered no solutions, just wanted to get into an argument. Remember, I paid a lot for this customized engine (which I could probably do myself now) which means they unpacked it, did some mods and repacked it. The QA was lacking and I suppose I expected more of an attitude towards them helping me solve problems.

In the future, I'll just get a China girl standard at low cost then hit my local Marshalls and rely on the good folks and knowledge base on this forum.

Your point is well taken -- I've cooled down -- life goes on -- I'll stop whining :cool:

:-||

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Nothing special about these engines not balanced or worked on internally like I've heard claims of doing, save your money for real upgrades and do the porting and bolt on's yourself. I've had confrontations with this guy before, it got ugly. I won't make it public but I called him out on something and he got ugly with me. If you really want to hear the story, message me. That's all I have to say.

Vista

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
If you look at motovelo's parts and price list you will find that you can actually purchase all the same parts from any other vendor at a fractrion of the price. The exhaust pipe you can buy on Ebay for $40 shipped , motovelo wants $140. At least you can say you cant put a guy down for trying..

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
If you look at motovelo's parts and price list you will find that you can actually purchase all the same parts from any other vendor at a fractrion of the price. The exhaust pipe you can buy on Ebay for $40 shipped , motovelo wants $140. At least you can say you cant put a guy down for trying..
Who makes it?

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
well, the cost of living in Santa Barbara is possibly the highest in the country, so that might play a factor in price point. but also, there is no similar expansion chamber on ebay. in fact, I can't find any at all. under 3 different search criteria.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
i can only say that I have never owned one of the motors they supply but from what i have seen, all of the mods that are done can be done easily by you. There may be no need to pay the extra price for a kit if you can do some work with common garage tools. I surely do not mean to disrespect a company or their product. Just my opinion on the videos I have seen. I can do the mods and save a hundred bucks.
I think I recall motovelo talking about balancing the crank set on their kits? That is one thing that is important and not easily done.... Not SURE their standard kit comes with a balanced crank, but I do recall reading about that on their site, would be worthwhile to pay for that IMHO....

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles