what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

built a new round head 50cc motor. Then proceeded to drop it off the workbench onto my foot. unfortunately the spark plug landed down and gave me an epic puncture wound. I was wearing shoes! ugh fml

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.

Replaced the motor mount bolts, twice- cheap American bolts!
Kidding, I got the grade 5s originally, but learned quickly to use the right ones. In my case, stainless steel.
Luckily that came out with the help of some vice grips.

Attachments

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

^I'd be ditching the stainless bolts and getting grade 8. Stainless is pretty, it's rust-resistant, but it's brittle.

I think my gas tank or fuel valve might be stripping out. Loose again. :mad:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Yep, more brittle. Now, whether or not it's stronger than the Chinese crap that comes on these engines remains unknown, but if you want the best, grade 8 is the best there is.

Just remember that the stronger your fasteners are, the easier it is to strip out the engine mounting holes. And stainless likes to do that.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

NO DODGE, that's simply not true at all I run stainless with my motor mounts and it had no problem whatsoever . It's the knucklehead on the other end of the wrench it doesn't know when to quit tightening the fasters .Secondly pirates cycle sales stainless bolts for head studs and again no problem . Like I said its the guy on the wrlafflaffench. LMAOlaff

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I went to the mailbox to look for my parts from JNM that I ordered on the 15th.......nope, still not in there.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Drilled out holes in my puch heads, went to bike shop and bought two heavy duty 26" tubes and some old school classic style pedals, gonna have to use two head gaskets with the Puch hi hi 50cc head, I have a new old style 66cc piston that is the type that had the lower dome that would probably work good with heads, may give that combination a whirl on my next dax lower once he has more of them ready.

Spent the evening at a local clinic, got a shot and some meds for an infection of some kind in my right arm, got a scratch somehow and it got infected, doc said looks like staff infection..... never had anything like that before, antibiotics for a while now sound like...... dang it!

Map

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth

Woke up this morning with my mind set on fixing my bike chain.
Looked at a youtube video using the Harbor Freight chain breaker
Did it.. BROKE THE PIN..

Never got the chain apart. What's chain breaker do motorcycle shops use?
It's supposed to break the chain. Not the chain break it!

Other than that.. I ran electric tape around all of my connections.

On a really good note. I'm very excited that my wire rope contraption is keeping the engine from moving for right now. until I get the rods I need

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

NO DODGE, that's simply not true at all I run stainless with my motor mounts and it had no problem whatsoever . It's the knucklehead on the other end of the wrench it doesn't know when to quit tightening the fasters .Secondly pirates cycle sales stainless bolts for head studs and again no problem . Like I said its the guy on the wrlafflaffench. LMAOlaff
Hey now! Don't shoot me! I'm just the messenger of information I've gotten on this forum! :D

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming

Installing my first motor! Ok, that was last night but still, installing my motor!

Ran into a couple issues, no biggie I can finish them today then I had a horrific thought. Todays my 14th wedding anniversary! Not that Im complaining but I really wanted this finished tonight lol.

Maybe for an anniversary gift the wife will let me play in the garage......

Dan.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Installing my first motor! Ok, that was last night but still, installing my motor!

Ran into a couple issues, no biggie I can finish them today then I had a horrific thought. Todays my 14th wedding anniversary! Not that Im complaining but I really wanted this finished tonight lol.

Maybe for an anniversary gift the wife will let me play in the garage......

Dan.
LOL....! may want to take care of things with the wifey first..... then to the garage.

Just had my Anniversary yesterday..... spent it in a clinic getting a shot and a meds perscription..... then we went out for dinner came home and watch Frasier reruns...LOL!

Best wishes with the anniversary and the bike build, your in the best place you could possibly be for every thing you will ever need to know about building, maintaining and repairing your motorized bike, many fellas here that will jump right in to help best they can when and if an issue with the build arises.

Peace, Map
reddd

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Woke up this morning with my mind set on fixing my bike chain.
Looked at a youtube video using the Harbor Freight chain breaker
Did it.. BROKE THE PIN..

Never got the chain apart. What's chain breaker do motorcycle shops use?
It's supposed to break the chain. Not the chain break it!
I have been using one of these for years, professionally.
I like it, I appreciate the quality and I recommend it.
Motion Pro Chain Breaker
Yes, the drive pins still do eventually wear out, but they are a wear item after all.
Replacement pins are cheap enough priced.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming

LOL....! may want to take care of things with the wifey first..... then to the garage.

Just had my Anniversary yesterday..... spent it in a clinic getting a shot and a meds perscription..... then we went out for dinner came home and watch Frasier reruns...LOL!

Best wishes with the anniversary and the bike build, your in the best place you could possibly be for every thing you will ever need to know about building, maintaining and repairing your motorized bike, many fellas here that will jump right in to help best they can when and if an issue with the build arises.

Peace, Map
reddd
Thank you.

After I took her to dinner we got back to the house and she says go work on your bike :) This of course is the woman that puts up with my two bands and various other hobbies! I think I'll keep her.

I really like this forum and you all have been very kind to me and my questions.

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth

I have been using one of these for years, professionally.
I like it, I appreciate the quality and I recommend it.
Motion Pro Chain Breaker
Yes, the drive pins still do eventually wear out, but they are a wear item after all.
Replacement pins are cheap enough priced.
Thanks, I want one. I know pins break.. But on the first time out the box. Oh well