what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

bought a hex head bolt for the carb clamp... and cracked the aluminum that makes up the clamp...

looks like i'll really be needing an nt carb now...
cns carb runs great, it's just i couldn't ever keep it from shimmying off... even with some gas resistant gasket maker, j-bweld and copper based rtv... i even zip-tied it on and it would still rotate enough for the float to stop working...

EDIT: just went ahead and ordered a NT carb (or rather the 'speed' carb) from spooky tooth.

Last edited:

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

maybe you should try to shave off a little material on the clamp part the problem is the clamp closes all th way before tightining down to the intake manifold

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

maybe you should try to shave off a little material on the clamp part the problem is the clamp closes all th way before tightining down to the intake manifold
i had already taken quiet a bit of material off the clamp so it could tighten down more. even still it would twist and start coming off. last time i tried using jb-weld it got hot enough for it to melt...

hopefully i'll have better luck with the NT carb...

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Had some fun mounting triple-trees on my mountain bike with dead motor(to see if they would fit). They wouldn't fit on my cruiser, but they fit the mtb! So then I had more fun swapping the running motor over to the mtb. Took my time, double checked everything, and she fired up and took me for a boot around town. :)

Brought my tools but didn't need'em.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

...just went ahead and ordered a NT carb (or rather the 'speed' carb) from spooky tooth.
remember to use the speed carb's slide an' needle, don't mix'n match. Oh and keep your eyes open for Jim's billet cns intake. His first 20 were sold out before they were in stock, lol.

Edit- just caught up on this thread a bit, you'll squash those Gremlins yet Wildy!

Last edited:

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA

Installed my HD upgraded Intake from Pirate Cycles, quick shipping and great service! Also, mounted additional front fender support.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

remember to use the speed carb's slide an' needle, don't mix'n match. Oh and keep your eyes open for Jim's billet cns intake. His first 20 were sold out before they were in stock, lol.

Edit- just caught up on this thread a bit, you'll squash those Gremlins yet Wildy!
if the motor had come with an appropriately sized intake pipe i really wouldn't be having this problem.

so i'm hoping that the nt/speed carb will fit better (also like the design of the clamping part better than the cns carb. metal on metal, not metal on nylon on metal...)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Right now I have my primary cover off and lubing the gears. They needed it, they were pretty dry. Glad I went in. I'm also coating the inside of the cover with plasti dip spray like bairdco suggested to help quite it down a little.

You can learn a lot from the forums experience. It's like going instantly from pea brain to super mega brain. .bf.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

if the motor had come with an appropriately sized intake pipe i really wouldn't be having this problem.

so i'm hoping that the nt/speed carb will fit better (also like the design of the clamping part better than the cns carb. metal on metal, not metal on nylon on metal...)
ey, I was talking about this part, but for the cns:
Ported Billet Intake

lol biknut, its easy to get carried away, just keep reading :)

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

there is one just for the cns, but the first order was a 'test' run that sold out before the order came...so expect more! But speed's are cheap, and can get you around. I'm just saying keep you eyes open for the billet cns style :)

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

there is one just for the cns, but the first order was a 'test' run that sold out before the order came...so expect more! But speed's are cheap, and can get you around. I'm just saying keep you eyes open for the billet cns style :)
yeah i'll hang on to my cns one and see if i can repair the clamp (since it's cracked now that i torqued it too much) it should still be usable, just will need to keep an eye on it.

but i am eager to try the speed carb since it's a much simpler design, but i don't like how the choke circuit is just a restrictive airflow baffle, and not an actual extra fuel line for it.

but then again i'm new to carb designs. (first time ever working on a carb)

edit: got board and took the rear hub apart to look at the bearings, still nice and clean from the factory grease, but i needed to take it apart anyway so i can take the axle to a shop and see if they have a cheap (not quality cheap) one that i can replace the bent one with...

after seeing a video of a bike with the shift kit i gotta say. I WANT! :D

Last edited:

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl

Installed THIRD throttle cable, and all i got is full speed ahead -- no throttle adjustment

WHAT DID I DO WRONG?
ALLL THROTTLE CABLES BREAK FROM FLEXURE RIGHT ABOVE THE LEAD BALL
YODAR

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc

Installed THIRD throttle cable, and all i got is full speed ahead -- no throttle adjustment

WHAT DID I DO WRONG?
ALLL THROTTLE CABLES BREAK FROM FLEXURE RIGHT ABOVE THE LEAD BALL
YODAR
You need to ever so insanely carefuly cut about 3/8" of sheath off the cable from around the inner. Near damn impossable to do without nicking it. Dremel cutoff wheel can do it.... Maybe a bike shop can do it... There are posts on her about remaking the ends, So you could cut the cable, Remove it, cut the sheath, then put a new end on (need to cut sheath more to leave enough inner cable to cast a new end on, But stock throttle cables are usally too long anyway)

On the plus side, if you make it way to long as I did, your throttle grip is just loose for a little bit of the twist, You won't lose WOT (Wide open Throttle).

What end does your throttle brake at? Maybe you should make a new thread.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

went working on it taking the tensioner off and going tensionerless. almost got it to work too. had to do some tweaking on it but had to hurry and bring it inside the garage when i saw some religious people going door to door in my neighborhood... (in a no soliciting neighborhood too :rage!!!: )

also think i figured out my sorta bogging after WOT issue... low on gas :p

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

i'm now tensionerless!

took a look at how some other people were doing it, and saw (forgot the username) had made a spring tensioner that fit between the drive sprocket cover/clutch arm cover. so i machined out just that cover piece and rode the bike, all it needed was something to prevent the chain from jumping off the drive sprocket.

also rebuilt the axle, but need to get a freewheel remover so i can pack some of the bearings better than i did.

also also! got gas and mixed up some 40:1 since the gas in the tank (and some in the can) had 24:1 so it should be around 34-ish:1 next fill will be 32:1 unless i can find some opti-2 or amsoil local then i'll run 80:1 at first then maybe 100:1.

and lowered the E-clip down to #2 (from #1) just to be safe while i'm running the different mix