what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

took it for a ride, had the chain jump off the tensioner, jam into the wheel, resulting in a bent rear axel...

looks like i'm gonna be buying a new bike now...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Made a new headlight bracket. The original was chrome plated pot metal and broke. I knew it was a weak link and might not hold up to the vibes and road shock. The new one is steel, welded to the housing. This one won't break. Guaranteed.
Tom

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

fixed the rear axel, guess it wasn't as badly bent as i thought it was, runs great now, got it to 30mph already :D shoulda never kept the muffler cap on. yes it's crazy loud, but i like it that way!

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

I've painted a three piece alloy crank anno red. It's got a 40 tooth single ring now. I got a bottom bracket conversion kit, going to put it in the cruiser real soon, with Red aloy bear trap pedals

Should save some weight- I have to lug this thing up and down a flight of stairs.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

i messed up big time im so embarrased im not gonna even say what i did but i messed something up

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

i messed up big time im so embarrased im not gonna even say what i did but i messed something up
LOL, don't sweat it, this is cyberspace!

Everyone makes mistakes. Recently, I was rebuilding a Chevy engine, and it wouldn't start. Friends came over and pulled the new distributor. I had installed the distributor gear upside down on the shaft, a rookie mistake. Hey, no big deal to me, lol.

You can tell us, we won't razz you TOO much, lol. It'll be good to get it off your chest.....

as long as you didn't kill somebody or french-kiss your brother's wife!

My tipsy sister-in-law tried to french-kiss me in front of my wife. Of course, I told my wife what happened...

but at least I kept my mouth shut.....LITERALLY! LOL!!!!dnut

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

LOL 5-7

Aside from the Sister in-law part, was gonna say the same thing. Really great part of those sort of learning events, ya never forget it WA.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

LOL 5-7

Aside from the Sister in-law part, was gonna say the same thing. Really great part of those sort of learning events, ya never forget it WA.
lol i had an idiot learning moment one time i was building a computer. got it all put together, plugged everything in, pushed the power button. nothing....

(2 hours later of checking wires)

realized i forgot about the switch on the power supply... derp.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

today i started stripping down another bike, called "the company" still trying to get prices for my new bikes (which might turn into another stomped-on dream,) then i gassed up my bike and went to the liquor store to stock up on smokes and sodas.

it's gonna be in the upper 90's here today, so i'm gonna sit in front of the air conditioner all day...

DonH

Oct 10, 2010
Ontario, California

today i started stripping down another bike, called "the company" still trying to get prices for my new bikes (which might turn into another stomped-on dream,) then i gassed up my bike and went to the liquor store to stock up on smokes and sodas.

it's gonna be in the upper 90's here today, so i'm gonna sit in front of the air conditioner all day...
I KNOW! VERY HOT HERE! LOVE IT! great MB riding weather.

I Got my engine to fire up today, all i could do with my time lol

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

ok ok so heres the story
first off i got a new gt5 motor and complety dissasembled it. that wasnt the problem the problem was after looking at how the crank case tranfer ports lined up with the cylinder transfer ports i realized the case ports were way smaller than the cylinders
i compared the gt5 cylinder with a gt4cylinder and found several differences first the cylinder apeared to be smaller on gt4 the bottom port openings for the gt4 were smaller and more fit to the crank case also the exaust and intake manifolds were smaller on the gt4 the gt5 indeed had better breathing capibility stock

well to move on i decided to match the crank case to the gt5 head and it worked till i decided that the flow into case should be smoother and thats where i got into trouble i ground throu the case into the magneto compartment

i went to a welding shop and asked what it would take they said 100 bucks an hour so i was like frack that ill just buy a new case but then my neighbor just got back in town hes a aircraft mechanic who hasnt tigged in a while i gave it to him to see what he could do about it

so theres the story ill include some pics of the case i still have matched to cylinder port and the two different cylinders gt4 and gt5

notice the awesome stock paint the black cylinder is gt5 and silver is gt4

Attachments

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

ok so i fogot to mention what i did today i opened up the exaust manifold that came with expansion chamber it was pitifully made i wish i would have takin before pics but now it is smooth and just a hair lager than exaust opening its gonna breath very well

Attachments

caduceus

Feb 4, 2009
Frostbite Falls, MN

Put a new Aluminum Drain Plug Gasket on the GXH50 because I wasn't paying attention when I removed the drain plug last time. After an hour of fruitless searching I gave up and used a steel washer with a little silicone as the gasket. Amazon.com had ten 8mm X 15mm Aluminum Gaskets specifically for the GX600 Suzuki which cost around five bucks plus shipping. So now I have nine more gaskets just in case..... Tomorrow I'll see if the Suzuki gasket will make the bike go faster.

Then I put two Axle adjusters on the rear axle so I can lock the axles into the dropouts and also have precise chain adjustment capability.

I had to drive my wife uptown for an appointment and no matter how nicely I talked I couldn't convince her to ride in on the crossbar of my bike. So I had to drive her up in the car and didn't get a ride in today.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

i put a rear rack on my bike
im so glad i no longer have to carry my tools pump survival gear warm clothing rain gear food water and more warm clothing

that stuff fills my back pack up and makes a ride uncomfortable now i can go in comfort and know i have warm clothing and fire starter

ahhh life is always improving

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland

Got a look inside my engine and found out what happened to the carb barrel slide tit. That sucker got sucked in and spit out the exhaust according to the nick in the cylinder about 1/8 inch above the exhaust port. The piston is cruddy on top and the coloration is clean toward the intake and dirtier toward exhaust. I'm hoping the yamalube will gradually clean some of the deposit. Plug is looking good.

I just want about 10 more MPH with plenty of torque for the hills without spending a fortune or blowing the thing up every other week.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

took the jug off and replaced the bottom gasket after removing any overlay into the transfer ports. Cleaned all the carbon rubbish off the top of the piston and head. Replaced the mag crank seal putting gasket goo around it, hopefully it wont come out again. Cleaned up the ports in the head with a dremel trying to also slightly raise the exhaust port a poofteenth. Lost the primer button somehow on the speed carb so improvised with a elec. screw connector. Cleaned all dags of gasket goo out of the path of the intake manifold. Lenthened my stand by and inch. Walked around it lookin for more $#1+ to do.