29" genesis astra

GoldenMotor.com

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
hello forum! today i got a new 29" genesis astra. its a pretty sweet looking bike but sadly it does have its faults like every other walmart bike. nothing serious though. ill be taking it to the local bike shop to have everything trued and properly adjusted. ill be putting an SD Stinger kit on it and im really looking forward to taking this thing for a spin when its all finished. o and btw this is my first build, so any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. i know theres a few ppl out there that built the genesis onyx (i actually own this bike too) and its relatively the same bike as the astra. the astra is more like an upgraded version of the onyx though. it has a 7 speed shimano shifter and comes with regular brakes instead of a the crappy pedal break on the onyx. (no offense..) i already know im gonna have trouble with mounting the engine and gas tank so please help me with some suggestions.

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
I have the Onyx and was gonna put a 4 stroke in it but after reading all the problems associated with the install I decided to put a FD on it instead. Took me only 1.5 hrs for the install and I was riding around.

steveonbroadway

Apr 10, 2012
Holiday, FL
I have a pic attaced to 29 beach cruiser from walmart that shows how I mounted my astra, or my sons since i gave it to him.. I also broke the studs off in china tank drilled them out and brazed on longer studs in same location, worked really well and looks super...

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
thanks for the pic and suggestions steve. the engine mount for seat tube wasnt big enough but i just grinded it down and it fits on almost perfect. for the front engine mount im now in the process of making my own u bolt mount. and as for the sprocket i skipped every third hole using 6 of the 9 bolts. for the gas tank i drilled in the middle of the bracket and drilled the frame and bolted it on like so. the cdi ignition mount scews werent long enough so tomorrow ill go to osh and get longer ones. i am really enjoying this project, my biggest problem is my patience because i dont have any.http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/Waa.gif Anyone that builds these kits knows that alot of that is required. lol! cant wait to get this thing runnin. ill post pics of the finish tomorrow, and also maybe a video. cheers to my future fellow riders!

steveonbroadway

Apr 10, 2012
Holiday, FL
I dont know why your only using 6 of the 9 bolts cant wait to see the pics,, and far as the cdi, i just used for zip ties. it works fine and does not look too bad....:)

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
okay so now im having a problem in top end. to start off the brackets for the fuel tank broke and the petcock valve fell out at top speed.. but ive replaced the parts since then. josh from bikemotorkit.com was a really nice guy and hooked me with the parts for free no questions asked. so my problem in top end is i get it to idk about 25mph and then it trys to go further then it bogs down to about 21mph. my top speed so far is 33mph. the bigger tires really help top speed btw. even sometimes it just doesnt wanna get up and go so i pedal to catch speed. now i have an nt carb, im not sure if wat im saying is correct but i think the air filter is the could be the cause. because from the looks of it, it doesnt seem it cant suck air in very well because its shape. so im gonna try and get the aftermarket air filter. aslo i notice that if i turn slightly turn the fuel valve to where its not completely open it can reach top speed.

my next thing is i was really stunned that this kit doesnt have a the ability to freewheel. wat can i do to fix that?

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
what i meant in my last comment when i said "freewheel" i actually mean that when im riding the bike and i come to a stop the motor stops too.. i hate being at a stop sign have to pedal half way across the street to get goin.

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
No the idle has no effect. The when I come to a stop it kills the motor. Isn't there a part I can buy so that won't happen? Are all kits suppose to be able to run while sitting at a stop? Or do I have problem with my kit?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
I'm guessing you have a China-Girl, eh? Sounds like your clutch isn't releasing. Will the bike roll freely with the clutch handle in the locked position? There's an adjuster under your carb to tighten the cable more to get it to roll free. Don't overdo it, because then the clutch will slip on you.

and yes, you should be able to idle at a stop with the clutch in :)

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
\so i figured out y i was bogging. something so simple it was so hard to figure out! the fricken spark plug wasnt tightened down enough?! im not sure if this is correct or not but the spark plug not being tightened all the way would cause a problem with compression which would explain the huge power loss.

im not sure if this is from running it really oily for break in but when i took off the spark plug the bottom tip was REALLY dirty, like black and brown dirty..

i also got a new problem now too.. the gas tank is leaking.. i found the leak and i think a solution too. how about jb weld for a small leak? btw guys i wanted t thank you all for being so helpful.

:-||

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
o and i also fixed my problem with not being able to idle. i loosened that screw and nut on top of the carb for the throttle cable making the cable tighter. now when i put the clutch idles and doesnt die. im so glad i got into this hobby because i actually kinda enjoy being stumbled with new problems and feeling accomplished when i figure them out. im only 16 so i feel pretty smart doing this entire project on my own