Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank you Ludwig. I looked them up and there is a clinic that has them locally. I'll call them next week and see if our medical plan will pay for it with a doctors OK and if not how much it is out of pocket. I'm sure it will be out of reach but then maybe it isn't.

Massage therapy and Chiropractors aren't inexpensive either.

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Sorry to hear of pains your having.

A cheaper way I'm not sure would help I was thinking of.

A friend of mine we used to be in a scuba club and go on boat trips diving. He call the diving getting our Nitrogen Fix. Even though we did not really get Nitrogen Narcosis (Not the Bends either), there seems to be a slight effect that you get.

Then there is breathing other than regular Air and instead Enriched Air (Nitrox). It is suppose to help prevent the Bends as it has a slightly higher Oxygen content than Air. Could using Nitrox be beneficial for other reasons, say when done at 66ft deep (2 atmospheres pressure)?

There is certification separate for Nitrox and I never got into it. The depth that Nitrox driving is safe to is shallower than for Regular Air, for otherwise there is danger of Oxygen Toxicity.

I know for sure Hyperbaric Chamber usage is very expensive, so insurance specific to include this is something when I am active diving I buy the insurance before I go. It is a yearly plan. Also it may have to be related to diving as well so no need to go shopping for it.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Concept - if it's purely high pressure air, then is it possible to home build a chamber and feed it clean air from a low pressure compressor and spend a few hours a day in it? I'm thinking large diameter services pipes and the like with plywood door ends.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
I think there is something to the air chamber idea, we have a place in New Mexico that according to topographical maps the altitude elevation is right at 7300 feet. At home our elevation is about 1600 feet. My aches and pains are a lot less at higher altitudes. We also usually spend a few days in Cloudcroft at about 8700 foot elevation and even that is better. But for a few days the huffing and puffing because of the thin air makes up for it, once we acclimate to the altitude even that goes away.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The high elevation is less oxygen and also less pressure, just the opposite. I think the altitude in some locations are just away from pollution and also pollen if above tree line maybe?

I looked at some links on the web page about the treatment in a Hyperbaric Chamber and it was not showing support. This one the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) did have a pdf file link on their finding of other about the use to help with side effects of some specific cancer drugs or combinations. It all was leaving it to more studies.

What I know of is that for nitrogen, as bubbles in the blood, Decompression sickness, that it has been used for quite a while since that it was called caisson disease. See the documentary of a designer of the Brooklyn Bridge where the term caisson disease came from. A father engineer and his son that over saw the construction ended with the bridge being built and his son getting the bends and leaving him disabled as well as many workers.

See:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Bridge

about the Roeblings'.

No one knew what coming up too quickly after staying down at depth too long was about. They were doing excavation and making the pilings for the bridge. If they could have kept the pressure in the chambers at sea level and somehow they were strong enough not to be crushed, then no one would have been disabled or died from the nitrogen. An alternative is mixing up Oxygen and Helium or another inert gas Argon could have also prevented this. Argon is a heavy gas so it also keeps you warmer and your voice does not get that high pitch. I saw an episode of Sea Hunt and they did not get that part right about voice chaining with breathing helium. I have watched documentaries with the designer of the aqualung and his son, Jacques-Yves Cousteau & Jean-Michel Cousteau, where I found it difficult to comprehend the voices at that high pitch. But the show Sea Hunt with Mike (Lloyd Vernet Bridges, Jr.) is interesting anyway.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The weather in this part on British Columbia is hard to forecast. It's been below 32F and snow covered for a couple of weeks now and while not cold by most peoples standards it is by ours. Normally it's 40-45F and wet. Very,very wet. Yesterday it rained and the temperature went up just enough not to freeze.

Today it was 45F by noon and sunny and Art and I got out and set up and welded up the rear of the tri car frame. Needs a bit of grinding but not a lot. I'll see how Art feels about it tomorrow but I plan to get as much of the grinding done as possible and the bike back together so it can be painted.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Congratulations on your progress, Steve. Your temperatures sound like what we would call spring here in northeastern Minnesota. I've been looking forward to today as it is to be a balmy 20 above zero with more snow. Compared to the past couple of weeks that is warm. We had a day of sunshine awhile back and it was amusing how people crawled out of caves to blink and smile in the sunlight. "Nice day, eh?" Ya, you betcha!" Dispositions plunged along with the thermometer the next day. Thursday night it is to drop down to -24 which is plenty cold enough. Winters are milder in recent years than a few decades ago. -40 happened every winter and on one memorable morning it dropped to -63 on the thermometer. I stay inside in such weather but always think about the deer, moose and wolves out there somehow surviving. And the little chickadees with such skinny little legs... how do they manage? I digress. Hope your weather holds and that Art is cooperative. Just 4 1/2 months til the fishing opener, Steve. And Summer Bike Camp For Boys Who Never Grew Up comes soon after. Woohoo!
SB

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Winter...back to sixties for a couple of days and plan on some progress myself. Glad to hear that welder, weldor and grinding are proceeding & working.
Silverbear enduring Winter here is much better than there. Rick C.)

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Silverbear,

Today it's 32F with a wind that would cut the coat off a poor mans back. Latest tool flyer came from our version of Harbour Freight so I'm off to make some purchases. Getting things gathered up for Bike Camp and planning out some fabrication to bring with me and gathering up the needed materials.

Before we know it sparks will be flying amongst the birch trees and creative staring will be honed to a fine art..

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank's Rick. Feels good to know that what should be the final hurdle has been leaped and from now on it's mostly finishing work. Garage is heated so when the time comes I'll turn it on and finish everything off.

Weather improves here the end of March usually. I'll be ready for it.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Really good news Steve. I'm doing my best not to take this bike to the shop till I can ride it there and back...they get more done when I'm not tinkering and I'm really enjoying working mostly with common hand tools on this build...like back when that's all I had to work with and the salvage yard. Make do and get 'er done, fun if your not ina hurry. Spring will be here soon since time flies by exponentially as we advance in age...too bad that extreme pain is the only thing that seems to slow the clock. Stock up on the sales as you dream up some mischief. rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I can see the fellas in the shop gravitating to the bike to see it and constantly stopping by to see how it's progressing. I do like looking at all the equipment and tools available but most of the purchases I make are supplies and the occasional tool that is half price and sturdy enough to last for the few times I'll use it. Having spent most of my working career using hand tools to repair furniture that was made with basic hand tools it just comes naturally.Just so long as the tool makes the job doable quickly or possible then I'm in.

My sister in law is in charge of the pre school at our local rec center. My brother repairs endless boxes of broken toys and one that was going to be thrown out because repairs would leave them open to law suites if repaired and there were injuries was a large Radio Flyer where the front axle had broken loose. Front axle was 1/2" tubing held in place with two tads punched out of the steering mechanism and spot welded to the axle.

I welded it back on when I did the bike. The wheels were junk, as is the whole wagon, so I decided to buy real wheels for it. Harbour Freight had the wheels for $6. Cheapest I can find locally is $22 then the local tool store flyer comes and they are on sale for $11 so I bought them and my almost 4 year old grand niece can pull the wagon easily.

The rest as I said is supplies for future builds and for Bike Camp because it's easier for me to build them here over the winter. I'll have photos soon of what I'm doing because we all know if there aren't photos it didn't happen.

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
So your not going to put a 6hp engine in the wagon, like the one I posted somewhere here long ago from one of my Burning Man visits. Besides the engine in the back there were two people in it. One driving, the other holding 30 pounds of cubed ice.

Think how may kids could ride in one like that!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
M.T., I tried brother, I really tried but they turned on me like a pack of mad dogs. I even went the electric route and pointed out that in 15 years she would be darned near of legal age {19 here} and I'd make the bits needed to make it into a bar stool racer since I doubt I'll be here to see that happen.

It was a no go and now they are watching me like a hawk. I go out into the garage and they follow me. Ya just can't soar like an Eagle when you surrounded by Turkeys.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Started grinding the welds into shape after I took the photos. They're going fairly quickly and smoothly. I messed up the ends of the seat stays and had to cut them off and weld new ones on. There is a piece of round rod inside the tubing that was rosette welded in place before I welded the two pieces together.

Everything worked out and there is room for the sprocket and chain now.

I have to get the sprocket part of jack shaft worked out and over to the machinist in the next few days.

Steve.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab228/speedydick/Indian Tri-car Build/DSC_0019_zps9a4tnixt.jpg

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Glad to see such good progress Steve. I understand the battles you face dealing just with weather and health concerns, so it's a big deal when such an important structural element is rendered to the point of cleanup. You've probably answered this already, but what is the current dimensions on width for the stays at axle plates and at upper seat stays?
This tri car build to many of us holds great significance as a legacy build which encouages us on our own chosen projects at whatever level of difficulty those fabrications represent. Thank you for the vision to see the extraordinary vintage Indian tricar design as worthy of a tribute replication and the skill and dedication to carry it forward to date. With goal in sight I support your persistence in its completion. Your Indian tricar will be a thing of beauty and a joy for all who view it! Rick C.