Trike Conversion Kits

GoldenMotor.com

johndeshaw

May 30, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Building a non-motorized trike from a road bike because it is the "look" my 19 yr old son wants who can't balance on a 2 wheeler. Having a difficult time finding a conversion kit that allows for(or knows how to add) either a 3 speed rear hub or a freewheel, derailleur and multi-sprocket combo at rear. Also can't find 26 inch hollow hub wheels but only the hubs and must build the wheels. Anyone have help?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
johndeshaw,

Welcome to the forum.

If you check with Cycles U.S. they have trike rear ends and a 3 speed hub. Also check with the sponsors ads on both sides of the form page to see if they sell trike rear ends.

For 26" rear wheels, www.worksmancycles.com You will have to call and talk to them about the wheels since they have a hard to find price list. You can also try www.huskybicycles.com

Hope this helps.

Steve.

johndeshaw

May 30, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Steve, thanks for those websites and advice. I checked them out and spoke to Husky. They have 26" wheels for 1.75" or wider tires. They advised if I want to go with a narrower racing look I will need to buy the hubs(they have them) and build the wheels.
-John

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Your welcome John. They have trike, racing bikes that are a regular road racing bike with a trike rear end added. Post some photo's when you get it built and as you are building it.

When your son is riding it tell him to be careful. If he is going fast and he gets into the part of the road where it is banked to the outside the bike can become tippy as it follows the crown of the road. It may also tend to go towards the curb.
Quick dips in the pavement will try to unseat you as well. Also he will learn to steer the trike. Leaning into the curves is a no, no, as well.

I have a bike with a sidecar that I need due to balance problems as well and it can get exciting with uneven pavement.

Ebay may have some trike rear ends for sale as well. Worth a look.

Hope it all goes well.

Steve.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Might want to do a google maps search and see if you have a Pacific Cycles Factory store within driving distance. If you do you can probably get a Meridian trike with gears for $200 and just use what you need from it. I just called mine today and was told they might have just the rearend for $35 including wheels just have to wait for them to call me back Monday or Tuesday. He didn't have time to search the warehouse until the store was closed on Monday.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The hardest part of riding a trike for me was training myself not to put a foot down. I ran over my own leg quite often at first...

johndeshaw,

Welcome to the forum.

If you check with Cycles U.S. they have trike rear ends and a 3 speed hub. Also check with the sponsors ads on both sides of the form page to see if they sell trike rear ends.

For 26" rear wheels, www.worksmancycles.com You will have to call and talk to them about the wheels since they have a hard to find price list. You can also try www.huskybicycles.com

Hope this helps.
Hard to find price lists???

Here it is... on the main page, put your mouse on "Home/Support" then "Downloads" There you can download the entire price list. Not so hard...

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Does anyone know of a non-DIY trike conversion kit that turns a regular bike into a reverse trike (tadpole?)...two wheels in front, one in the rear?
-Lowracer-