Do we use Spandex or Leather clothing to ride these motorized bicycles?

GoldenMotor.com

SpandexOrLeather

Jul 30, 2009
Idaho
Howdy to the forum. Just signed up yesterday, as I needed to do some searching for specific questions I had. Thanks to all of you who post your knowledge here for us newbies, it helps a lot.

My user name comes from my dilemma at figuring out how I view this contraption I'm riding around on. I guess it'll depend on what sort of speeds I feel comfortable riding at. My real name is John, and I live in Boise, Idaho. Anyway, I've been busy breaking in a 66cc SkyHawk GT5 kit I bought off eBay recently. It's in a decent older mountain bike I've had for several years, and fits quite well. Have about 50 to 60 miles on it (as of today), so should be able to cut down on the oil used in the gas now.

Am gonna be using it for basic transportation around town and such, so don't expect too much new input from me on mods or wild upgrades. Just wanted to say "hi", and to thank you folks for taking the time to make this a nice forum - the first one I've truly wanted to join. Have a gr8 day, and keep it upright.

PS - Can I wear spandex AND leather together??? Maybe this could become ANOTHER new niche item for our market! I'm sure the adult industry would end up making a new fetish out of it. <sigh>

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Re: Do we use Spandex or Leather clothing to ride these MBs?

Crazy Horse say's welcome, and I prefer Levi's Blue Jeans, plain white t-shirt weather permitting when riding my bikes.

Might get ran off the road by four wheelers wearing spandex or send the wrong signal to alternative lifestyler's. Don't want that to happen! LOL.

Peace Crazy Horse.

Howdy to the forum. Just signed up yesterday, as I needed to do some searching for specific questions I had. Thanks to all of you who post your knowledge here for us newbies, it helps a lot.

My user name comes from my dilemma at figuring out how I view this contraption I'm riding around on. I guess it'll depend on what sort of speeds I feel comfortable riding at. My real name is John, and I live in Boise, Idaho. Anyway, I've been busy breaking in a 66cc SkyHawk GT5 kit I bought off eBay recently. It's in a decent older mountain bike I've had for several years, and fits quite well. Have about 50 to 60 miles on it (as of today), so should be able to cut down on the oil used in the gas now.

Am gonna be using it for basic transportation around town and such, so don't expect too much new input from me on mods or wild upgrades. Just wanted to say "hi", and to thank you folks for taking the time to make this a nice forum - the first one I've truly wanted to join. Have a gr8 day, and keep it upright.

PS - Can I wear spandex AND leather together??? Maybe this could become ANOTHER new niche item for our market! I'm sure the adult industry would end up making a new fetish out of it. <sigh>

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

Welcome.

Denim jeans and bicycle riders gloves. When the cold wather comes my leather jacket will be on my back.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Span-Leath,
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place to add enjoyment to the Motorized Bicycle hobby. When you're not riding come in a sit a spell and see what the rest of us are up to. It won't be long before you're contemplating your next build. Rare is the guy/girl that can resist having more than one bike. Have fun, ride careful.
Tom

Hot Wheels

Jul 7, 2009
chicago

HI FROM HOT WHEELS, YOUR QUESTION ABOUT CUTTING DOWN ON THE OIL, I WOULD RUN AT LEST TWO TANKS THEW IT. YOU'LL BE BETTER OFF IN THE LONG RUN. MY FREIND STOPED USEING THE BREAK IN MIX AT AROUND 50 MILES AND HIS MAIN BEARING SEZIED UP. PLEASE RIDE SAFE AND HAVE FUN !!!.wee.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

Welcome to the forum.
I save the the spandex for my hops-powered bicycles.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY

i wouldnt be caught dead wearing spandex.
i usually wear jeans,tee shirt and boots.
and in winter,a leather jacket wont cut it,i have a isulated winter coat,gets cold up here.

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky

Span-Leath,
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place to add enjoyment to the Motorized Bicycle hobby. When you're not riding come in a sit a spell and see what the rest of us are up to. It won't be long before you're contemplating your next build. Rare is the guy/girl that can resist having more than one bike. Have fun, ride careful.
Tom
I second that, 2door! I havn't even begun wrenching on my first bike, and I'm already thinking about my second bike!

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Spandex or Leather. I think we use leather and denim to ride, as spendex would indicate that we are trying to keep in shape, and a motor would be counter productive. Although I think you're onto something with the fetish thing...

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi

spandex,let me think about this one.My wife told me i would look like 50 pounds of potatos in a 10lb. sack.Harleys Dad

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL

jean shorts and t-shirt in summer spandex under armour, long under wear under jeans and a good wool and cotten for my upper with a wind breaker and something to cover my face in the winter.

Last edited:

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

you gotta get the power ranger-style outfit like the sport bikers have, also make cardboard fairings and put them on your bike

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado

Nope, jeans and t-shirt.

save the leather and spandex for the Blue Oyster bar.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008

What is this leather you speak of???????????? F L O R I D A A A A A A. The only place to ride.

sajoe

Jun 3, 2009
San Antonio TX

My wife says no spandex no way no how! Jeans should be the official clothing of the MBer's. I prefer a t-shirt with my jeans but shirt type could be optional

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008

Welcome to the forums :)
I hate jeans, dress pants mainly for me, then cargo pants/fatigues on the heavy end.
Jeans are usually too tight or way too baggy and heavy.
Winter entails a down jacket and good long underwear, somedays its too bad to ride.

SpandexOrLeather

Jul 30, 2009
Idaho

Thank you one and all for the input - quite entertaining!

Being a motorcycler for several years (haven't been for a while now), I used to wear a leather jacket when I rode. After having a friend suffer terrible road rash when he had an accident (took over a year to heal), I decided a nice leather jacket might help me to not suffer the same fate if I should go sliding down the road.

Sold the motorcycle and bought a mountain bike, which ultimately led to a serious mountain bike purchase. Rode everywhere through summer and winter (in Bozeman, Montana) putting on as many miles in a year as I did in my car. Getting all serious like that, I soon was sold some "cycling shorts" as they were called - literally made from spandex (with a logo on the side). They were quite nice, and offered padding where it counted most.

So with those memories in my head, I posed the question that started this thread. These motorized bikes are smack in the middle of a bicycle and a motorcycle, and I thought it rather humorous to ponder what I was gonna wear to be "in the group" so to speak. It was truly meant to be fun, and many of you took it that way. So far, I've been wearing long shorts, t-shirt, bike helmet, and hiking boots for my rides. But when I get my smaller rear sprocket, my guess is that I might hafta wear a more serious helmet at least (with the higher speeds).

Again, thank you all for the input, I did get a few chuckles out of the responses. For those who thought I was serious, my apology. These MBs are proving to be a lotta fun to ride, and if we can continue that fun here in the forum, then we'll really have something special to keep us all interested.

Ta-ta, or rather put-put for now...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

..."in the group".

Where I ride, I am the group....

Welcome to the forum with an interesting first few posts!

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA

you gotta get the power ranger-style outfit like the sport bikers have, also make cardboard fairings and put them on your bike
LOL!!!!! i've actually riden with my suzuki power ranger's suit!!!!!!!! :D and i was trying to figure out how to put some fairings on there :D