My project(s)

GoldenMotor.com

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I honestly don't know the diameter, but I am assuming that tooth spacing stays the same and that the size would be a linear increase. Do you think the HF 2.5 would pull hard enough from a stop with the 10/80 setup, or should I still look into a jackshaft setup with a different gearing setup?
I did a setup using that HF 80cc engine with just 10 tooth clutch and 112 tooth rear sprocket which turned out to be way too big (too slow, too much pull). Disabling the governor and a smaller rear sprocket would be perfect.

TheOtherStyle

Mar 27, 2009
SE WI
I am a whore. Really. An idea whore. My plans have, again, changed. Well...part of the plans have changed.

At this point I plan to have a custom fork built by BrettMavrick (you'll have funds soon man!) to make use of a 24x2.5 chopper wheel with dual disc brakes in the front, and will have someone more local to me, like my brother, make a custom rear swingarm that will accommodate a 24x4 rear wheel. In addition to being wider for the wheel, it will move the wheel back. In front of the wheel will be a 150cc vertical Lifan.

I was planning on a 110cc or 125cc, but I was just offered the 150cc for 275 shipped. I can't argue with the price. As someone else has said in another thread, "They won't know unless they take apart and measure it." So long as I keep my wits about me and ride like a human being they have no reason to pull me over.

The rear swingarm will taper towards the front to clear the crankarms, and I actually intend to cut apart my current swingarm, as my crank is part of the swingarm. I will cut off everything behind the rear shock mount, and go from there. The extra length, plus the weight of the engine will require me to ditch the 350lb spring currently on the shock body and swap to an 850lb unit from NYCbikes.com.

I am confident at this time that the 150cc's internal generator will be sufficient for the lights and accessories I plan to run, so I no longer need to rig up an external charging method for the battery. Speaking of batteries, I should be able to put a small motorcycle battery between the motor and the front of the swingarm, right between the crankarms.

Planned accessories are a pair of projector driving lights with HID bulbs, an led tail/brake light, and a GPS unit. I just picked up a bicycle trailer for free the other day, and got a set of rims for it from my neighbor's barn. I plan to put taillights on that as well, again, led. I don't plan to run both HID headlights at once, in fact I am thinking about ordering 2 separate colors. Diamond White (6000k) for regular driving and Golden Yellow (3000k) for bad weather.

Hmm....while looking up the two HID flavors I lost my train of thought. I could have sworn there was more but I cannot remember.

Anyway, pictures of the fat seat, the bike trailer, and the rims from my neighbor to come once daylight hits.

As I said, I am a whore. An idea whore. You can call me a whore if you want, its fine. I admitted it. :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I am a whore. Really. An idea whore. My plans have, again, changed. Well...part of the plans have changed.

At this point I plan to have a custom fork built by BrettMavrick (you'll have funds soon man!) to make use of a 24x2.5 chopper wheel with dual disc brakes in the front, and will have someone more local to me, like my brother, make a custom rear swingarm that will accommodate a 24x4 rear wheel. In addition to being wider for the wheel, it will move the wheel back. In front of the wheel will be a 150cc vertical Lifan.

I was planning on a 110cc or 125cc, but I was just offered the 150cc for 275 shipped. I can't argue with the price. As someone else has said in another thread, "They won't know unless they take apart and measure it." So long as I keep my wits about me and ride like a human being they have no reason to pull me over.

The rear swingarm will taper towards the front to clear the crankarms, and I actually intend to cut apart my current swingarm, as my crank is part of the swingarm. I will cut off everything behind the rear shock mount, and go from there. The extra length, plus the weight of the engine will require me to ditch the 350lb spring currently on the shock body and swap to an 850lb unit from NYCbikes.com.

I am confident at this time that the 150cc's internal generator will be sufficient for the lights and accessories I plan to run, so I no longer need to rig up an external charging method for the battery. Speaking of batteries, I should be able to put a small motorcycle battery between the motor and the front of the swingarm, right between the crankarms.

Planned accessories are a pair of projector driving lights with HID bulbs, an led tail/brake light, and a GPS unit. I just picked up a bicycle trailer for free the other day, and got a set of rims for it from my neighbor's barn. I plan to put taillights on that as well, again, led. I don't plan to run both HID headlights at once, in fact I am thinking about ordering 2 separate colors. Diamond White (6000k) for regular driving and Golden Yellow (3000k) for bad weather.

Hmm....while looking up the two HID flavors I lost my train of thought. I could have sworn there was more but I cannot remember.

Anyway, pictures of the fat seat, the bike trailer, and the rims from my neighbor to come once daylight hits.

As I said, I am a whore. An idea whore. You can call me a whore if you want, its fine. I admitted it. :D

LOL Broder TOS, ain't we all? Looking forward to seeing your pics. After the folks here, my favorite thing about here is the building on, of ideas. Speaking only for me, the wheel has been invented and in no way can I get it any more round or better suited. But watching and reading you (us) folks, I can make it turn faster, better and a lil better looking. Is a good thing for sure.

TheOtherStyle

Mar 27, 2009
SE WI
Ok, here are the pictures from the idea whore :D

The seat is not only fat and cushioned, but it appears to be a suspension seat as well! This bike is going to be very comfortable.

The trailer will get a solid container on it in place of the fabric cabin. I go to my friends houses a lot, and often bring my computer to my one friend's place. Making a solid container will allow me to carry and strap down whatever I need to bring with me, including a small toolbox for on the road issues.

TheOtherStyle

Mar 27, 2009
SE WI
ATTENTION!! THIS IS AN UPDATE!!

I am still alive....just incredibly swamped lately. My birthday was on the 19th of July, my friend is getting married in Aug, I'm going to go see my gf in Missouri after the wedding, and my boss gave me the master worklist, so I have been a busy beaver working to pay bills and save up for my upcoming Aug trips.

Fear not, I am still here, I will continue to entertain with my whorish ideas of crazy bike builds, and ****, I'll even build something eventually :D

TheOtherStyle

Mar 27, 2009
SE WI
Another update:

The tires finally came, and today I cleaned up the rims and tightened the spokes, and then painted and clearcoated them.

After that I installed the Bell no-flat foam tubes and the Maxxis Slick Willy tires. Oh my f****** god are those things hard to install!!!! Took three screwdrivers to pry the tires and tubes onto the rim. But there is ZERO slack inside the tire, it is one solid tire/tube combo on the rim. I dare say these might actually be good for motorized bicycles if anyone wants to try them.

And a picture of the finished result:

I will be installing the wheels onto the trailer tomorrow, and then I need to put air in the new tube in the front wheel of my mtb. Had a blowout the other day and bought a Bell version of the Slime tube I have in my back tire. Will take another picture with the wheels on the trailer and the trailer attached to the bike.

TheOtherStyle

Mar 27, 2009
SE WI
P.S. I know the wheels still have spots on them, I couldn't get all the rust off, and I honestly don't care. The wheels are a **** of a lot cleaner than they where when I got them, and from a distance they look good. Besides, the trailer is going to be for cargo use anyway...so....does it really matter? :D

TheOtherStyle

Mar 27, 2009
SE WI
Another update: the semi-finished non-motorized product.

Put the wheels on the trailer and omg....they are further out of true than I though.... Oh well, it will be a nice ride to the bike shop...assuming the pricks there actually get to my bike in the same day instead of 2 weeks later......I hate being a poor guy in a rich area...

Anyway, I digress. Further pre-motorized plans are to remove the canvas carryall on the trailer and build a box. The box will go as far down as I can make it without scraping over ruts in the road. Will probably go up about 8 inches from the frame. I will also try to spread it over and around the wheels if possible (fenders/maximum space). At least I can use it now :D
.crt.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Keep up the good work! You have a nice bike, and your trailer looks nice too.

If you have anymore questions about using the HF 2.5 (79cc) engine, PM me. The 3600RPM Max rating is a joke, and that's for water pumps and generators. It will spin MUCH higher than that after mods! 4500-5000+RPM is easy to get. You have to get the gearing right, and remove the governor, modify the intake, and put on a better exhaust, and it's a very strong engine once done right. Has torque AND RPM, can't go wrong there. The extra RPM is OK on the engine, because it has a very short stroke, with a big piston, and it's very smooth and well balanced.

TheOtherStyle

Mar 27, 2009
SE WI
Thanks Znsane.

Another update thingy...

So I'm glad I haven't removed any parts of the trailer yet...mostly because today the trailer held its first cargo (other than my normal load of Subway and PowerAde that is...).

I never knew that Haro made anything but BMX bikes.
21spd, chromoly frame (complete with cheap Taiwan paint that flaked away and allowed rust...), and a speedo someone put on as well.
700c wheels with 38c tires, inflated and with good tread.

Yay...I finally have a second bike I can ride until I can get the Mongoose down to the bike shop for adjustments. I'll probably grab a 66cc to throw in this one for the time being.

8 mile round trip today to run to Subway for breakfast, Speedway for a Powerade, and then back across the county the other way to go pick up the bike. Pedal powah!! God am I hurtin' from that ride....

TheOtherStyle

Mar 27, 2009
SE WI
So...anyway...another pesky update...I picked up another new toy....

Electric scooter. 24v, 15.5a (372w) motor. Needs work though. The throttle had the wires ripped out, there is no control box anymore. It's just the scooter and motor. However a 12v garden tractor battery straight to the motor propelled me around the street, albeit slowly.

Don't mind the pics, I've since ripped off the atrocity that was the hacked up cooler.

I plan to get at least a pair of high capacity car batteries to wire in series, and a toggle switch for the handlebars. I don't really need a twist throttle...toggle switch and relay will handle that little motor just fine. I need to make a seat post and use that fat seat I have, raise the scooter floor up a little so that the pair of batteries fits side by side between the steering tube and the seat base (will use spacers, bolts, and sheetmetal or wood to hold the batteries), and make a couple extensions for my feet to rest on. Suppose if I really wanna get funny...I can make a little kickoff for my trailer to clamp to, and put more batteries on that for reaaaally long range..... :D

TheOtherStyle

Mar 27, 2009
SE WI
Time for another update that isn't.

I haven't gotten anything done on ANY of my bikes really. The Haro had the rear tire separate and blow the tube, and that was about it. I recently got a new 700c tire and tube for it, then today I put that Sears speedometer from the 27" Schwinn SuperSport on it as well. The difference between 27" and 700cc is only like .559 inches, so the speedometer won't be off by much. I also swapped the metal cage pedals off of the Haro in favor of plastic pedals with a bit more area. Same overall size, but they won't dig into my Converse like the metal ones were. Next time I get a few bucks, I need to buy a headlight and taillight, nighttime riding sucks without them.... Also trying to get a small toolkit together for when I'm riding. Trying to get set up for when I have a motor. Ideally in my trailer I will have an extra tire and tube, CO2 pump with a couple of extra cartridges, extra quick release axles, every wrench that the bike takes, bag of batteries for the lights (I like riding for long distances, even when pedaling...), wet weather clothing (plastic poncho), and a small emergency kit. Oh yes...and a bungee or two for when I end up getting rides home from friends and need to tie the trunk lid down...

I still need to build the box on the trailer, I've been using it with the canvas cabin so far. Not the best way to keep things dry or contained. Hopefully money starts coming in again soon, so I can afford to get the bike all setup, and then put a motor on it. In the mean time, I'm fairly certain I have some led's around here somewhere... That speedometer needs some light for at night :D

TheOtherStyle

Mar 27, 2009
SE WI
Today I purchased a new battery for the digital speedo that came with the Haro, now between the two, I'll have fairly accurate mileage and speed. Also got a lock for my cable and 2 rolls of Duck reflective tape. Going to put the tape on the back bar of the trailer, on the top and bottom chainstays, and on the fork. Prolly stick a patch on my Sears speedo too. I put an ad on my local FreeCycle for leftover wood, so hopefully I can build my cargo box on my trailer soon. Not sure what color I will paint it.

I've been looking into a lot of LED stuff online, I should be able to put together a nice headlight and taillight set for the bike and trailer, along with some other bits to make me very visible at night. Tomorrow I'm going to do another cross county ride to see how well the speedo's work, and see how bad that trailer is on long hauls.