Frames

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Looking for either bikes like the Cranny's or just a frame. Where are some good places to scan. Steel of course and sort of like the stretch lower frames. Want to really build this thing from the ground up with all good parts. I'll be watching and thanks guys. . Gary aka ghil

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Many of the old Sears and Western Flyers from the 70s were made by Murray. Not as good as the Schwinns, but easier to find and plenty sturdy.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Like they said: old-school steel Schwinn frames rank pretty high. Mine was an old welded-steel 1948 JC Higgins cruiser. Older, heavier, welded steel frames tend to work pretty well for what we do. Watch for cracks on any frame you choose.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Welcome Back to the forum GPhil, Again, you cant go wrong with an old school Schwinn, or any other American made vintage frame. Try Ebay, you could also join this forum http://www.ratrodbikes.com/ they have a for sale section that always has bare frames for sale....Good luck

Last edited:

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Appreciate all the input from you guys....Seems like there is so much to choose from these days. Everybody says theirs is the best so guys like me have to rely on the experts on this forum so once more thanks. . . Gary

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I've used more modern standard cruiser frames with no trouble- By themselves they weigh only a pound or two more than a vintage road frame- but the enlarged down tube is a hassle. I set them up with shock forks- harder to find thread now, but out there- and 700 c wheels with big gears- 36 or smaller on the back which reduces vibration at cruisoing speeds-

also recently got a "supermount" with large studs and thick rubber inserts for the 66 build, because I now notice the vibration more than I used to, when I almost always ride a 50cc. Havem't got it on yet though- probably have to split the chain and use another- and that's always the stickler of the build as far as I'm concerned.

So still on the Marcargi Panther frame from 2009- and the 66 with 34 sprock
and then the Huffy frame - not terribly recent but dependable with the 50 cc and 39t

and I built and sold a 66 huffy matching frame with another alloy 34t last summer.
.xx.

Last edited: