bad luck with my beach cruiser 2 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

longbeach95

Oct 16, 2013
long beach California
So I got a used motorized beach cruiser today but the tube popped went to get a new tube then while riding it back it popped again got a new tube and now I noticed the tire comes off while riding it I just got this thing and want to ride it already the tire seems right size but a bike shop told me over the phone it might be like that because its old its like a mountain bike tire for the back.i'll put up pictures so u can see

Attachments

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well that's not good!
Can't really tell much about the rim/tire size from the pics...
Why not take the rim down to the bike shop and have them look at it?
...they're small enough to handle easily...
and welcome aboard!
rc

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
yeh some cheaper tires do not seat well in 1 inch wide rims, they look as if thet are too big and seem to want to pop out when filling them !

here is a neat trick to prevent flats, get a 1 inch wide role of duct tape and remove the rim strap spoke protector ... the rubber thing that goes on the inside of your rim to cover the spoke ends idk the term for it lol... and rune 2 layers of duct tape in your rim to cover the spoke ends then put the rubber protector back on over it, also put 2 layers of duct tape around the inside of your tire oposite the tread reinsert your tube and asemble your tire , fill and put back on your bike

i use gorilla tape but slime sells a tape spacificly for this pourpace... gorrila tape works fine for me lol and since i have been doing this i have never gotten a flat !!!!!!!!!!!!! i have had roofing nails go through the tread and hit the duct tape on the other side and stop short before poking the tube !!!!!!! it acts like a bullet proff vest the 2 layers of heavy tape stop most sh#t from poking your tire tube and the ones on the rim keep your spokes from poking the tube should your rubber protector bunch up under the torque .... have had this happen twice that is why i started doing this

here is the actual tape slime sells for this pourpase but gorrila tape works just as good !!

Attachments

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
yeh some cheaper tires do not seat well in 1 inch wide rims, they look as if thet are too big and seem to want to pop out when filling them !

here is a neat trick to prevent flats, get a 1 inch wide role of duct tape and remove the rim strap spoke protector ... the rubber thing that goes on the inside of your rim to cover the spoke ends idk the term for it lol... and rune 2 layers of duct tape in your rim to cover the spoke ends then put the rubber protector back on over it, also put 2 layers of duct tape around the inside of your tire oposite the tread reinsert your tube and asemble your tire , fill and put back on your bike

i use gorilla tape but slime sells a tape spacificly for this pourpace... gorrila tape works fine for me lol and since i have been doing this i have never gotten a flat !!!!!!!!!!!!! i have had roofing nails go through the tread and hit the duct tape on the other side and stop short before poking the tube !!!!!!! it acts like a bullet proff vest the 2 layers of heavy tape stop most sh#t from poking your tire tube and the ones on the rim keep your spokes from poking the tube should your rubber protector bunch up under the torque .... have had this happen twice that is why i started doing this

here is the actual tape slime sells for this pourpase but gorrila tape works just as good !!
I took the tire off a rim Ii had bought at a yard sale this summer and found this clear hard as heck plastic inside the tire. I love yard sales "SOOO many decent bike parts tires, tubes, spokes , brake parts , seat posts / hardware, but your 100% correct Roger, Gorilla tape just as good if not better better than the slime tape , I also use the G-tape on my gas tank I fold it in half after cutting it the length of my gas tank and stick it to the bottom of the tank then stick it to the frame. I also like to put a layer if tire tube between the tape to help drastically cut down on vibration / tank movement.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
some folks can't figure out how to clear the chain with a fat rear tire and just put a skinny one back there - the skinny tire sometimes won't fit the wide rim

unless one wants to rebuild the wheel, the only thing is to look for a tire that fits a bit tighter

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
That's a nice looking bike. Myself, I'd like the gas tank farther forward, but I understand it's position based on the shape/style of the top tube.

As for your problem, I agree with the opinions above, replacing a tire isn't very expensive unless you're going into specialty tires. Putting a rear back on is a bit of a juggling act with the two chains, sometimes I drop the master link on the motor chain to make it easier.

When the tire is off, inspect the rim for spokes that have been over tightened and protrude into the rim. If you have any like that, they will pop your tube for you. Adjust with a spoke wrench, or take it somewhere to be adjusted. (Warning, many bike shops will grumble about the rag joint, some may refuse to do anything to it... these are places that do not want your money, so find somewhere else where they think your bike is cool and the 'wrenches' drop their tools to come look at it).

I haven't used Gorilla tape, but I have used both electrical tape and duct tape to line rims with (not on the same rim at the same time). For protection from the outside, I picked up a kevlar-lined Kenda mtn tire from Walmart. In addition to a thick-walled self-sealing tube, I put an older innertube between the tire and the good tube. (Split the old tube all the way around, remove valve stem. When putting it into the tire, fold it over itself until you have a triple ply of old tube between the tire and the good tube. When you inflate, go to 5 psi lower than your sidewall rating to allow for the extra thickness).

I used to ride through a light industrial area to go to and from work, and after doing as I decribed above I reduced my flats from at least weekly to only once in a while.