Winter Biking With Currie Bikes

GoldenMotor.com

WriterDave

Dec 14, 2008
Ottawa
Hey all,

I live pretty far up north...well, Canada to be exact. :)

I'll be down in the states this Christmas and I see that I can get a eZip Trailz Men's Electric Comfort Bike (26-Inch Wheels) on Amazon for 250 bucks. That is a great deal.

I was wondering how you think this bike might preform in the winter? We get temps anywhere from 35 to 0 Fahrenheit in the winter (but usually closer to 25). I've got a fairly decent bike path near my house that should be plowed out.

I was thinking of wrapping the battery in some kind of thermal blanket, but then wondered if the rest of the gears/machinery might be affected. I'll need to leave the bike outside during the day, but I can bring the battery in with me to class.

Thanks!
Dave

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
If you are on the flat, that ezip might work. The range could be improved w/ li-ion bats. People are generally dissatisfied w/ those cheap ebikes. No direct experience, I've been told by others.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
That's a bit cold for riding! I don't know how the batteries will handle the cold, but I know you must be freezing! Generally batteries perform better when warm, but I've never had a problem with Li-ion when cold.

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I have the IZip, which is much the same as the as the EZip and I live in Lindsay, so I can tell you what I think. The tires are smooth and horrible in snow , I've gone down twice so far this year. The batteries hate the cold, you get about half the power and distance you normally would. In the summer, they only go for about an hour. They are better than nothing though but seem to rust up very fast so I keep spraying wd40 all over the chrome after every ride.
I just got my new PK-80 kit and will be turning my IZip into a hybrid, having both the gas and electric with the help of that jackshaft from sickbikes.
All in all, these bikes are good bikes for the money and there are many options availible to you. There are those that simply add another battery, and there are those that spend $500 on better batteries, doubling the speed and distance and even adding a second motor that sits alongside the original motor.