new..almost complete! >.< pls help- Clutch cable assembly

GoldenMotor.com

bronson9

Jun 18, 2010
Nashville
I have my engine mounted and everything is good to go. The only thing left to do is install the clutch cable in order to allow the bike to free roll. I have spotted the place on the motor that you feed the clutch cable through but other than that since this is my first time doing anything like this I am baffled on how to secure the line to where the clutch will engage. ( oh and I already have the end with the barrel looking piece? attached to my hand lever.) I have explained my ordeal the best I can and have a feeling it isn't that difficult.
If anyone could help it would be largely appreciated and relieving :) Thanks

Parts: (ones I found to be associated with the cable..tell if me if I left something)
large spring, small spring, clutch cable, steel wire clip

thanks again

Bronson

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
the large spring goes over the clutch cable housing to act as a heat shield by the head and cylinder before you put it through the place on the engine,,,,,the smaller diamiter spring goes over the cable its self between the clutch arm and the place where it went through the engine to act as a return spring (and it dampens vibration ),,,There is a small (I think brass)clamping piece that goes on the steel cable after you put the steel cable through the end of the clutch arm,,NOW,push the free play of the clutch arm toward the carb.area while pulling the the end of the steel cable removing the free play from the handle bar lever and cable housing and slip on the small clamp and tighten THE clutch arm should be in about the 5:00-5:30 position looking down from the top and the cable snug with no more than a pincil lead width of free play of the clutch arm when you GENTLY touch the clutch lever on the handle bar

bronson9

Jun 18, 2010
Nashville
ok so i think i followed you correctly... pulling the clutch cable tight enough is the challenge yes? when my roommate gets home he could help me close the gap on the small spring even more... is that my problem? I had the small spring clamped even shorter than show in the picture but not by much. When i went to pull the clutch handle..even gently, there was a pop (not breaking the clutch cable) and then slack all of the sudden....here is some pics..maybe someone could point out my problem.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The pic's would help,,,,The clutch lever and cable and arm operates like a break lever and cable and arms at the wheel,,,,you adjust so that the free play is out on both situations,,,there is small spring tention on both to keep them firm when not being operated by hand,,,

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The parts look to be in place except I don't reccognize the large nut at the end of the small spring where the cable goes through the motor piece and the cable where the brass end is should be going through the clutch arm (actually the small spring looks over tight),,,,Where is the clutch arm ? the end of it should be about where we see the chain in the pic with the cable through the end of it

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
YES,,the hole in the thing on the engine the cable goes through should be turned toward the clutch arm end,, and the cable goes through the end of the clutch arm with the brass cable stop on this side

bronson9

Jun 18, 2010
Nashville
Ok so looking at the picture of the clutch arm as it is it can only swing towards you. Is this how it should be? Is the arm in the right position as is?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
clutch arm moves toward the carb.,,the cable pulls it (when you squeeze the lever on the handle bar) past the easy movement to work the clutch,put the steel cable through the clutch arm,while holding the cable tight push the clutch lever toward the carb. and tighten the brass cable lock

bronson9

Jun 18, 2010
Nashville
Thanks so much for all your help. I ended up getting it working and spending the afternoon and evening cruising around. Thanks again for your help and patience

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Hey check All the bolts now that you have ridden it and make checking it a daily practice so there are no(fewer)suprise repairs needed,,,,you might look up threads on here about blue Loc-tite ,

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
thanks a great deal for your responses corgi... would this be the clutch arm

This will not work. That sharp bend in your cable is going to cause you problems. You need to loosen the lock nut on the part that holds the cable away from the engine and rotate it inward to face, or align with the clutch arm. You need to consider eliminating as much friction as possible in the clutch linkage which includes the cable and how it connects to the handlebar lever and the clutch actuator arm on the engine. No sharp bends or kinks, no nylon tie-wraps holding the cable tightly against the frame or handle bars. Also, you do not need the small spring. The best place to put it is the trash can. Use the larger one, the heat shield but the small one will only increase the leverage necessary to disengage the clutch. It serves no useful purpose. Throw it away. Get back to us if you need more help or detailed information.
Tom

Last edited: