header wrap ok on an aluminum exhaust?

GoldenMotor.com

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I researched this and found one thread but they only talked about the stock steel exhaust.

I was wondering what you guys think about wrapping a SBP tuned pipe with header wrap. I plan on wrapping it completely from the header to the tip. I am wondering if there are any cons to this. I was thinking that wrapping it won't let the heat escape and it might damage the pipe since it is aluminum or maybe I am thinking to much into it and it will be ok.

I want to do this because I mounted it in the up position and don't want to burn my leg or components on the bike like the clutch cable or magneto wires.

Thanks for your help guys.

P.S. I am almost done with this bike! I have been building it from the ground up for the last 4 months. I have been paying a lot of attention to detail. This thing is rock solid. I really appreciate all of your help and advice.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
All of the pipe component are steel except for the copper fittings and muffler tube. I don't see any problem wrapping the pipe but it will make it difficult to do any maintenance. I would recommend building a heat shield.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I was also thinking about doing something like this. My exhaust is also mounted up and my leg hits it a lot. I'm just gonna wrap the section my leg hits in some black wrap I found online.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I found some 1" black wrap online for 14 bucks for a 25' roll. If you found a better deal let me know or if you want the website where I found it.
We'll I'm just look on ebay right now. But I'm gonna head over to a couple auto parts stores to see if they have any before I buy online.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
wow that is cheap! Does the black rub off? I read a post a while ago that said the black coloring would rub off on his cloths. I checked local auto stores and no luck but I will check ebay. Thanks.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
wow that is cheap! Does the black rub off? I read a post a while ago that said the black coloring would rub off on his cloths. I checked local auto stores and no luck but I will check ebay. Thanks.
The black stuff is graphite and will to some extent rub onto clothing but you wouldnt want to do that or touch it as the fibreglass can get pretty itchy.

If your wraping a spb exhaust you would need about 30feet at 1 inch wide

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
Mine doesn't seem to get hot enough to burn me...

I tried to wrap my copper pieces of my exhaust kit with a wrap, and it burned away on the first ride...

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey

I tried to wrap my copper pieces of my exhaust kit with a wrap, and it burned away on the first ride...
Wow. Never thought it would get that hot to burn the wrap. I was just thinking about wrapping the part of the main pipe where the expansion chamber itself it. That's where my leg hits hit the most.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia

So it doesnt get hot enough to burn you but it burnt the heat wrap?? you got some tough skin and crap wrap.

While mine is nowhere near me to burn me i wraped mine to quiet it down a bit.

bare bones

Jul 12, 2009
Austin

I have exhaust wrap from the header to the beginning of the expansion chamber on my SBP pipe. I am still breaking in my bike. I have taken it for a few ~20 min rides at WOT for a good bit of time. At first, the wrap would smoke near the header portion but now when I ride it seems not to smoke. The heat is now transferred to the area right after the wrap stops. On my pipe this is the beginning of the expansion chamber. I have my pipe mounted in the "up" position and it gets a bit hot on my leg if I wear shorts and ride. I may wrap the pipe all the way to the stinger and then cover where my leg touches with another material so my leg wont get itchy from the fiberglass.