A Good Frame???

GoldenMotor.com

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
So, my Murray Westport has been a great starting bike, especially since it was free. But the big wheels I bought for it, just barely fit. It's been rubbing on the upper back forks, not good. Broke my drive chain last night. I'm guessing the wheel stopped and the engine kept going, lol. So I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to buy a cruiser frame that will hold these big wheels in, they are 26x2.125. I don't need a whole bike, just a frame to put all my stuff on.

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
buying a frame by itself ... mmm ... generally dealers (shops) will stock high-class bare frames ... maybe it'll be just as cheap to buy a chain store bike -the whole bike. Or hunt for something secondhand.

Unless things are a lot different stateside vs here in australia.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Since you have everything to put on it a good vintage frame would be my choice. A cruiser frame from the thirties to fifties will work well and I know that my 63 Schwinn middleweights (Americans) have frames every bit as heavy and I was able to mount heavy duty 2.125 wheels with no problem. Using the middleweight fenders was a little dicey and I had to do some small modifications to them to fit, but the results are nice. I can't speak for middleweights of other makes. It depends on what you want, of course. I think a strong frame is a good starting point on any build.
SB

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Thanks guys, I like the old schwinn idea, or maybe an elgin. But of course the price has to be right. A new aluminum frame was also one of my ideals but so far I haven't found anything I like.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Ah man, I don't support Walmart. If I was going to buy a cheap bike and then rip the stuff off just for the frame, I'd buy one from our sponsors, Zone 8's got some good Micargi prices. But I'm looking for something half the price of the Felt Cruiser frame set, but still decent in the same scope, either semi chopper or cruiser, but not totally against the MTB frame I posted earlier. Also like the Micargi Panther its a cool 26" semi-chopper.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I get all my Good quality bikes that were originally $300-400 range on Craigslist for around $50. If this economy has only been good for one thing, it has been the bargains on Craigslist. Picked up a $500 Aluminum Trek the other day for $50.

John

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
John you are right Craiglist is great, but pickings here in P'cola are far a few between. I'd rather go ahead and spend the extra $100 or $150 and get something new, just hope that the aluminum will hold up in a light MTB frame.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
#5 permalink,,looking at the frame on the e-bay pic ,it looks like the chain and seat stays pinches in a lot half way toward the seat tube :will the 2.125 wheels have room in this frame:confused:

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Yea, I thought about that, asked the guy for some dimensions on it, but unless I hear back from him, I might stick to a micargi falcon or mustang instead of going for a MTB, less expensive. Plus I think that lightweight frame no matter how well constructed will give out.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I wish they sold the cruiser frame by itself and not in the frame set. Who needs all those extra parts(fenders,stand,etc.) when your building from scratch anyway. Most scratch builders are looking for special parts anyway. I'm going to email them and see if they will sell the frame only. I'll let you guys know.

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
I wish they sold the cruiser frame by itself and not in the frame set. Who needs all those extra parts(fenders,stand,etc.) when your building from scratch anyway. Most scratch builders are looking for special parts anyway. I'm going to email them and see if they will sell the frame only. I'll let you guys know.
Felt do sell "Frame only" CANVAS CRUISER Frameset - Felt Bicycles. These are aluminum frames with fat tanks that can be converted to a working gas tank. There are some builders in this forum that had sucessfully done it. The frames though is a little bit costly...

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Yea, the killer decision maker is that the stretch frame already has a little sprocket tang on the left rear fork, you just add it on and instant chain adjustment. Take a look in this picture, you can see it better.

Wait I think its for the coaster brake instead hmmm we'll see...

Attachments

Last edited: