skip tooth sprockets

GoldenMotor.com

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
Hey everyone iv been wondering would a skip tooth sprocket work for the back sprocket on these engines? Im just really curious about it

.bf.

yojimbo

Feb 6, 2010
Rock Island, Il
sorry to get off topic but i have a problem and i hope 1 of you guys could help or point me in the right direction. I live in IL and was about to invest my income tax return in opening a shop but Il just passed a law limiting engine size/hp/speed to under 49cc/ under 1 hp/20 mph. Where the #$%@! can i find a kit like that?!!!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
dunno.

back to skiptooths.

i keep seeing gokart sprockets and chainsaw chains when i look for skiptooth stuff. definitely not the same.

the old inch pitch, skiptooth, skiplink, whatever you want to call them, are 1" pitch by 3/8" wide. that means they're wider and it should mean the links are longer.

there's actually two different alternating lengths, an inch link, and one that's just a hair under 1/2". on a skiptooth sprocket, the half inch link never contacts a tooth, it just rides in the valleys.

that's the reason a skiptooth sprocket won't work with a regular, new, 1/2" pitch chain. that "hair" difference won't allow the link to settle onto the sprocket.

it is possible to take an even numbered, 1/2" pitch sprocket like on a new wheel, and grind off every other tooth so you can use it with an old chain, but it's skinnier, and not exactly perfect, and the chain can jump off, wear faster, and break.

that's actually what i've done on my bike, a '39 Colson, and everything i've stated above happens to me.

this has plagued vintage bike collectors and restorers forever, since absolutely no one makes a repro chain, and no older rear cogs fit with any newer rear hubs, and the only way to do it is to pay through the a$$ for an NOS chain, which will cost you $60 to $100 bucks.

now, you could take a regular rear motor sprocket and grind off every other tooth, and use your same chain and front gear, but with the amount of slop and torque beating on that chain, i wouldn't trust it, plus, it wouldn't get that vintage look you're going for.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
sorry to get off topic but i have a problem and i hope 1 of you guys could help or point me in the right direction. I live in IL and was about to invest my income tax return in opening a shop but Il just passed a law limiting engine size/hp/speed to under 49cc/ under 1 hp/20 mph. Where the #$%@! can i find a kit like that?!!!
We've got no problem with people starting a new thread for questions like this - we actually encourage it here, so long as it's in at least sorta the right subforum... your question would be good to post in Motorized Bicycle General Discussion or 2 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits or even 4 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits - but to answer yer question anyway - any of the 49cc kits would be fine, the HP/speed limitation is pretty much impossible to enforce as they're not gonna put yer bike on a Dyno and I've always viewed the speed limitation as a speed limit, as in they can just give you a ticket if you go to fast. It's really not reasonable to expect a vehicle to not be able to exceed a speed... I mean, there's like gravity and hills and stuff lol

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I cruise at WOT all day & night on a 66CC around IL as well.I've only been stopped a couple of times once asking me about my MB and the others said my light was not bright enough.I went on a 20 mile ride last night during the blizzard with 50mph winds out in the country,lots of fun (just gotta know how to ride) xct2