Muffler way too low

GoldenMotor.com

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
Well I mocked up the motor last night too see how im going to tackle the front motor mount and I noticed that when I put everything together the muffler is waaaay to low. If I ride over a speed bump it will hit. Is it normal to get a muffler this big, I ordered a Flying Horse kit from BikeBerry. It is literally about 2 1/2 inchs off the ground. What do you suggest I do, other then having to buy a new muffler that go all the way to the back (I think those mufflers make the bike look they are trying too hard to fit into the motorcycle world).

Sorry about the iPhone pics!

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
iphone has a nice camera. Well, you could always torch it, and bend a few degrees up. Mine is somewhat like that, but not as bad, so i just left it.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I have a chrome muffler that I bent. It has perminate discolleration and has some surface rust where I heated it. Not sure what will happen to the black paint on yours. you might try finding some tubing and modify your current muffler. good luck

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
HB,
Are you a welder or have access to someone who is? Cut the muffler off the pipe and take an inch or two off the pipe and reweld. You'll loose the black paint but it can be touched up with a heat resistant flat black paint, engine enamel or BBQ paint. I like to extend my pipe to the rear. Not so I can look like a motorcycle but because it puts the noise behind me and keeps oil off my pants and rear brakes. You could try it like it is and just avoid speed bumps. Naturally someone is going to suggest replacing the muffler with an expansion chamber style, and that's always an option too.
Tom

Last edited:

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
You can bend it by putting in a vise and using small amounts of presure,or use a torch.Either way its pretty easy to bend.Make sure you dont put to much of a bend because it could restrict the air flow.Both of my MB's I had to bend the muffler,bent them a couple inches,and have not had any problems.If you are uncomfortable with doing this take you bike down to your local muffler shop and they could do it for you for pretty cheap.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Well I mocked up the motor last night too see how im going to tackle the front motor mount and I noticed that when I put everything together the muffler is waaaay to low. If I ride over a speed bump it will hit. Is it normal to get a muffler this big, I ordered a Flying Horse kit from BikeBerry. It is literally about 2 1/2 inchs off the ground. What do you suggest I do, other then having to buy a new muffler that go all the way to the back (I think those mufflers make the bike look they are trying too hard to fit into the motorcycle world).

Sorry about the iPhone pics!
You might try a * poo-poo * pipe....it brings it out further along the frame and away from your foot....numerous vendors here in the forum supply them....I plan on getting one myself.....plus they just look darn cool !....or you can utilize one of Jim's ( Creative Engineering....Manic Mechanic ) motor mounts......it allows you to place your motor in an upright position......thus giving you at least two to three inches of clearance for your muffler ....as well as using his billet intake pipe....a clear shot to the barrel....your frame is an ideal candidate for Jim's parts.....

Salty.shft.

Attachments

Last edited:

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
I have one that hangs down that low, i have never hit it on speed bumps or anything else, but i pick up the front end while going over curbs and i dont ride of curbs ever!!! Good luck if you put a bend in it, you should still look as good with it being a black pipe.

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
By looking at it if I bend it the peddle will hit. I know that after looking into there threads it is best if I mount the motor as low as possible, what if I lifted it a couple of inchs what are my downfalls other than having a tough time mounting the front mount?

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
By looking at it if I bend it the peddle will hit. I know that after looking into there threads it is best if I mount the motor as low as possible, what if I lifted it a couple of inchs what are my downfalls other than having a tough time mounting the front mount?
higher center of gravity...chain angle issues.....top bar clearance issues ....and other things......low is good.....high is not....except a muffler......

Salty.shft.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
Looking at your pictures it seems to bit a bit low. I would adjust the angle of the motor so that the carb sits level yours appears to be at a slight pitch. Change the angle until the carb is level and see how much clearance you have.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I've seen flex pipe on at least one of the builds,,where do we find flex pipe that small?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I have a pullstart and centrifugal clutch on my engine so i had to raise my motor,all u need is a custom front mount(like a extra mount block or something).
My motor clears my peddals and frame and my muffler is around 6"s from the ground.

So you can either raise your motor,get a new muffler that fits or cut the pipe and add a hose and clamps to move your muffler.

Attachments

Last edited:

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Is it just me (and marts1) or does the muffler look longer. Mine is definately shorter than the one in the picture. is there a difference?

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Conformity is boring and gets in the way of innovation. I've mounted my motor up and out of the way of the cranks and rerouted the exhaust to a much more rational location. And hey, it looks kind of sexy too! I guess the lower center of gravity issue has some merit but if the human brain can juggle 175 lbs. on top of the seat post I don't think moving the motor up or down a few inches is really going to matter much. Remember you saw this set-up here first.

Attachments

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Conformity is boring and gets in the way of innovation. I've mounted my motor up and out of the way of the cranks and rerouted the exhaust to a much more rational location. And hey, it looks kind of sexy too! I guess the lower center of gravity issue has some merit but if the human brain can juggle 175 lbs. on top of the seat post I don't think moving the motor up or down a few inches is really going to matter much. Remember you saw this set-up here first.
..Very cool ride....I like how you mounted the tank.....you're probably correct about the engine height....couple inches not making any difference....the pipe looks cool....how's it sound ?

Salty.shft.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Thanks for the kind words. I'm doing this build (my first) over the course of the winter and just taking my time. I have a ways to go before I can fire up the engine and find out how it sounds. I did take a short pedal powered ride a few days ago and it feels nice. I look forward to making an exciting post about my first powered ride. Probably in a few more weeks. The sound is one of things I am most curious about myself as well!