Help Setting up HT bicycle engine

GoldenMotor.com

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA
Hello All,

My name is Michelle and i recently ordered a engine kit that i would love to install on my Women's Beach Cruiser. I have attached a pic of my bike below. I am looking for any help i can get on how to mount my new engine to my bike. Everything i can find online just shows how to install the engine on a mens bike and everyone here seems so helpfull, i would appreciate any tips or instructions i can get.

Thanks

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Re: Help Setting up HT Motor

Hello All,

My name is Michelle and i recently ordered a engine kit that i would love to install on my Women's Beach Cruiser. I have attached a pic of my bike below. I am looking for any help i can get on how to mount my new engine to my bike. Everything i can find online just shows how to install the engine on a mens bike and everyone here seems so helpfull, i would appreciate any tips or instructions i can get.

Thanks
Hello Michelle,
Welcome to the forum. May I ask what kind of motor you ordered?
SB

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

You may have a little trouble mounting the engine kit on a ladies bike, (most with the gas tank placement) but it can be done without too much trouble.

Welcome to the forum.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Spookytooth has a good reputation. Has the kit arrived yet? One thing you may need to get is a rear rack so you have a place to mount the gas tank. Here are a couple pictures of 63 Schwinns with HT motors.
SB

Attachments

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA

I am planning on getting a rear rack for the gas tank. I actually found silver bears pics when i did a google search and they made me realize i would need to a rear rack for the gas tank. I do really like the smaller cylinder shaped ones in the pictures.

What type of rack would you recomend getting, are there some types that are better then others if i want to use the teardrop shaped gas tank that comes with the kit i'm getting?

My kit hasnt arrived yet, i was expecting it either today or monday, so i guess its monday. I'm really glad to hear that Spooky Tooth has a good reputation.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

I am planning on getting a rear rack for the gas tank. I actually found silver bears pics when i did a google search and they made me realize i would need to a rear rack for the gas tank. I do really like the smaller cylinder shaped ones in the pictures.

What type of rack would you recomend getting, are there some types that are better then others if i want to use the teardrop shaped gas tank that comes with the kit i'm getting?

My kit hasnt arrived yet, i was expecting it either today or monday, so i guess its monday. I'm really glad to hear that Spooky Tooth has a good reputation.
Gearrnut presents another gas tank mounting option. It is the only one I have seen mounting a peanut tank that way.
Regarding a rear rack, there are different kinds of rear racks. Take a look on ebay and you can see. I guess in part it is a matter of what your intentions are with the bike. If it is to be functional only, then any kind of rack will probably work if it is for your size bike. A 26" bike needs a rack designed for a 26" bike. The supports which attach at the wheel area need to be of the right length. You might find a used one at a bike repair shop, or online. If you have a particular look in mind then you will need to do some searching. Reproductions are made which look much like the one on the back of Gearnut's Hawthorne and look like some the old Schwinn's had.
In the pictures of my Schwinn Americans two different gas tanks are shown. The low dark one can be purchased from That's Dax and the cylindrical one is from an old lawn mower. I have also seen peanut tanks mounted on the rear rack. One nice thing about doing something yourself is that if you don't like it you can change it later.
SB

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA

Thanks to everyone for the great advise. I got the bike build this weekend, and its super awesome! i will post pictures when i get home.

I rode it to work today, its about 10 miles, everything was great, except there is some serious vibration going on, my butt was numb by the end of my ride.

Does anyone have any advise on how to cut down on the vibration?

I have heard that you can put expanding foam in the frame to help... has anyone done this? What kind of foam should i use?

Thanks again for all the help. Look later for some cool pics :)

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA

One thing that can be done to reduce vibration is run the engine at a lower RPM. You can do this by simply not going as fast or you can get a smaller rear sprocket. With the smaller rear sprocket you can still travel at the same speed but the engine will not be spinning as fast and therefor not vibrate as much. This will also depend on how hilly your area is. If it is relatively flat then I would go with a smaller rear sprocket. I would recommend a 40 or 36, that is assuming your kit came with a 44. The recommendations for good grips, gel or suspension seat are also good and suspension forks would also help.

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA

Good advise on the Gel grips and seat cover, i will have to get them this weekend.

I am dissapointed that the expanding foam doesnt work very well, i was really hoping that would help alot with the vibration. Its crazy to me how much this thing vibrates, another thing i learned is i need to get some locking nuts because i'm losing nuts, i lost the one that goes under the seat three times, and i noticed this morning that one of the nuts that hold the front wheel on where shaking loose.

I welcome any more ideas anyone has to help with vibration.

I have attached some pictures for everyone to check out!!

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Nicely done.

I use a sheet of lead, about 1/8" thick to mount up my kits. Four pieces between the mounts and frame, clamp side and frame.

You may have a fuel flow problem when the tank gets below half or so, keep that in mind.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA

They will reduce in vibration as they break in. Please make sure you keep the mounting bolts tight, once they loosen everything will loosen.

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA

They will reduce in vibration as they break in. Please make sure you keep the mounting bolts tight, once they loosen everything will loosen.
Thank you! That is great advise and i am trying to make a point to check all bolts before i start riding. Thats how i noticed a few bolts were lose this morning. But i didnt check the mounting bolts, i will add that to my mental check list.

So your saying when my engine is broken in the vibration will be less?

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Hello Michelle,
Congratulations on getting the engine mounted and having it all up and running. Very cool. Fun, isn't it? I think you've gotten solid advise from forum members. Along with other nuts and bolts to give attention to are the fender bolts over the front wheel. Also check to see if the metal around where the mounts bolt to the frame remains sound. If there is a lot of vibration it can stress the metal and eventually break. Not to worry over much, but it is all something to be aware of and giving a check-over every now and then and a visual check every time you ride is a real good idea. Wearing a helmet? Your bike looks good!
SB

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas

That's one of the nicest girls bike Ive seen. Very nice job Michelle. Ride that thing and please be careful. .blady

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

You may have a fuel flow problem when the tank gets below half or so, keep that in mind.
Too true. The bottom of the fuel tank needs to be above the carburetor float chamber. A carburetor will not suck fuel uphill, they are gravity fed only.

You have built a very nice MB Missmichelleb! You are also a step ahead of most newbies in the fact that you are aware of loosing hardware and you have the aptitude to check all of them on a regular basis. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or so the saying goes..... :)

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA

Hello Michelle,
Congratulations on getting the engine mounted and having it all up and running. Very cool. Fun, isn't it? I think you've gotten solid advise from forum members. Along with other nuts and bolts to give attention to are the fender bolts over the front wheel. Also check to see if the metal around where the mounts bolt to the frame remains sound. If there is a lot of vibration it can stress the metal and eventually break. Not to worry over much, but it is all something to be aware of and giving a check-over every now and then and a visual check every time you ride is a real good idea. Wearing a helmet? Your bike looks good!
SB
Silver Bear - Thank you so much for all your help. It is definatly fun, i have been using it as my daily commuter for two days now. Its 10 miles each way, with various hills and obstacles, its defiantly challanging and a good work out. I most definatly wear a helmet, right now i just have a basic bicycle helmet but tomorrow i am getting some extra for my bike, like a better helmet and a gel seat and grips, i'm also going to get gloves and a better jacket. I am actually thinking of taking the front fender off, i like the look, but it does vibrate alot while i ride and right now the bike is more for a practical purpose and doesnt need to look perfect. However i am extremly happy with the over all look of my bike, it almost looks like i planed it out, but really i think i just lucked out.

But i am really happy that i had a womens bike to use for this, i was scared at first that it wouldnt be as good as a mens, but i like how easy it is to get on and off the bike and it still look badass :)

Thanks again for your help and any other improvement suggestions are always welcome.