Chain and sprocket modification

GoldenMotor.com

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA
Finally got a chance to modify the sprockets and chain to a good quality #40 chain. It’s a tight fit but it can be done. Tight tolerances on the engine 10T sprocket and the rear I machined a clamshell hub and keep the nine hole pattern on rear sprocket of 45T. I’m into power not speed. The idler is a clamshell aluminum mount. Idler is uhmw with a one-inch roller bearing cam follower. The bear is being changed to a track roller bearing when it arrives. Will take better side-to-side pressure and it good to 1400 rpm. See attached pics.
It is like a whole new machine now. Vibrations are next to nothing now, no chain to sprocket noise. Just the chit chit bang bang of the exhaust now.
Yodabob legal in PA
YouTube - motorized bike street legal in PA

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Very Good!!! Yodabob

The engine sprockets are scrap from the Chinese...I had planned on making several hundred of these, but if you are set to do it in volume...

I made the same type of chain tensioner for the Schwinn Jaguar...It worked perfect!

It is not necessary to utilize the 9 bolts when doing a clamshell. Next time try using (3) 3/8" bolts. It will be plenty strong and save on the machining time. I did a 9 pin for the Spoiler belt drive set-up out of necessity.

Jim

Manic Mechanic

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Bob,

I watched the you tube video...good job.

This should be an example for everyone!!!

Do it right...make it legal...and then go enjoy it.

I am an O.E.M. for a number of products. I can generate a Legal Manufacturers Certificate of Origin for any MB I build, which means I can license and insure it if I choose.

Brett tried getting a moped tag here in the Tampa Bay area...they told him it isn't a motor vehicle...AND, go have fun!

For our area, I'll go on this premise until it becomes necessary to document what I build. The time will come I'm sure.

Jim