bike with leaf blower and turbine

GoldenMotor.com

nathandance1996

Aug 24, 2010
bognor regis, UK
hhhmmmm, I think I've finally found out how to do it, if the jet becomes more efficient the nearer you come to the same speed as the air, what if you was to expand it with an expansion pipe, so it slows down from 180mph to just 90mph, I am just going to use it from 20 onwards as leafblowers or any form of jet work better the closer you get to the jet exhast's speed, it's really for coasting for long periods of time.

YouTube - Leaf blowers powered bicycle

brflg

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Well, if you get close to air speed of 180 or even 90 you will be too busy holding on too worry about much else( huricane force wind speed on a bike) lol

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
well ,,I got out that 70 page 15 cent notebook from X-mart today and scratched some lines on the page and I am wondering,,if a squirrel cage on a leaf blower moves air efficiently would forcing it through a narrowed furnace squirrel blower in reverse ( the blades may need reversed also,I didn't cut the furnace up yet to look)would this in effect make a torque convieter to drive the rear wheel from the furnace type sq/cage pulley ,or 2 speed belt drive transmission then on too the rear wheel ???,,,,and if a carefully built housing caught the exhaust air from the adapted furnace blower and recycled it through the leaf blower it would be a double acting air flow (pushing and pulling )similar too a closed hydrolic loupe and keep the excess blower noise confined in the recycling housing,possibly even directing the exhaust into the housing for noise suppression also, (depending on heat build up ,and a blow off flap for pressure build up),could be used w/a shift kit also

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
Or just use the engine to make a friction drive and have a quickly built, fairly efficient bike.
I think you missed the point that he's trying to work around local prohibitions on motorized bikes. "Jet" propulsion might not count as motor power, but I bet friction roller drive would definitely count.

Chalo

nathandance1996

Aug 24, 2010
bognor regis, UK
I think you missed the point that he's trying to work around local prohibitions on motorized bikes. "Jet" propulsion might not count as motor power, but I bet friction roller drive would definitely count.

Chalo
exactly, put an RC turbine on a bike, perfectly legal.
I just don't have that sort of money lying around, a weed eater and a ducted fan counts as a leaf blower/jet propulsion here in the England, so that is probably the best solution in the UK

brflg

kingsgargen

Nov 26, 2014
NYC
Stihl BGA 85 is best choice for this structure. It's a cordless, battery powered blower with only 6.9 lb weight. There are many others but i would recommend Stihl BGA 85 or STIHL BG 55

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Nathan never got round to doing it, it seems. The law's pretty restrictive on what you use here. If you use a legal output motor, you still have to have a system where it only cuts in as an assist when you pedal. Anything more than 250w and you get into a 2 tier moped system and registration.

I suspect he went and bought a car.

nathandance1996

Aug 24, 2010
bognor regis, UK
He's had over four years to work on it :)

Tom
I never did, at the time it seemed like a good idea, but at age 14 with no alternative it would. In the end I built a friction drive, which worked well unless it was raining, and the police pulled me over a few times. Now I have a car licence and a 125cc motorcycle as main transport, and mess around with ebikes because they can be fast and are very quiet.

zpt