My First Post! On My First Build!

GoldenMotor.com

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
Recently I got the MB bug, lololol. I here it's not fatal if your patient, careful and listen to all the vets on these forums. First let me say thank you to all the information all of you have provided. I started a cruiser build in January, hard to believe but it still isn't finished. I finally got it running a few months ago and have ridden it a lot. Strangely the more I ride it the better it gets. I've worked in the mechanics and electronics industries for over 50 years, oops gave my age away lolol. Anyways I feel like I'm back in school. It's great, I can honestly say I'd rather have my MB than my mini van. The best part to all this besides the fun in riding again, yeah I'm an old biker lolol, anyways the best parts are the design and fabrication for me. Ive put a few videos on You Tube, my channel is the same name AssembleThis. Presently I'm designing a 12 volt system for the bike and an internal skeletal system for my saddlebags. I've made a new sound deadening system and a gas tank harness that I've never seen and will be posting the video for sound deadening system soon. I apologize for the quality of the videos, I'm still learning how to use that new HD digital camera.

1st video posted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPvLyzpdiAM&list=UUpr5gXoGzPrQM_DwdldhzqA

Last video posted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w1OscgZi14&list=UUpr5gXoGzPrQM_DwdldhzqA
Sorry I tried to add pictures and link the videos but haven't figured how yet.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right pace for any help you might need in the future.

I feel inclined to offer that the 'anit'chain lock' option you bought is not necessary if you maintain proper chain tension. You want 1/2" to 3/4" of slack in the chain and if the drive and driven sprockets are aligned there is no need to worry about the chain locking/binding up in the engine.

There can be minor interference at the extreme front edge of the sprocket compartment which can be addressed with a Dremel and a sanding drum but that is a small thing.

One thing I noticed was the engine location being very high in the frame. That will require an extreme chain angle which isn't a real concern unless the chain interferes with the engine case at the bottom edge of the clutch actuator cover.
There really is no need to mount the engine that high. Just high enough to clear the pedal chain guard is about right. That also lowers the center of gravity.

Not criticizing, just offering some information that you might find beneficial.

Tom

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
Thanks for the info. Yes I would like to lower the center of gravity. But it will only be an inch or two. I like having the pull start, and the noise deadening mod I developed also needs to clear the crank. I really don't want to add a wider crank. I've invested so much money in this thing already lol. Center of gravity unfortunately will be an issue that I'll have to deal with. All of the electronics I'm adding, the 12amp hour battery, bags and skeletal system I'm designing as well as the huge chain locks is going to add a lot of top weight. But its ok, for an old geezer I'm in pretty good shape. I live in the country and the items I'm adding are really needed, drivers don't respect bikers and theft is a real problem. Some people around here have the mentality that if they see something they like they have a right to steal it lolol.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome to the clubhouse!! Lots of good ideas in here!

Good luck with your project.