Hello newbie here.

GoldenMotor.com

MissB

Jan 19, 2009
Methuen, MA
I own a 1945 JC higgins woman's bike. I would love to be able to motorize but haven't the faintest idea as to how; hence....I landed here on this site! Hello to all.

lowriderl

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
hello, miss b!

thatsdax.com has a rackmount motor, that would fit over the rear tire of your women's bike. step-by-step online instructions, too. i installed one on my dad's bike and a person will need a little (not too much) mechanical aptitude.
lots of help here too, but thats a good place to start.

welcome

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy MissB, welcome. I was going to suggest the Titan as well. Great folks and the kit gets awesome reviews. The Titan is the blue bike with the engine over the rear wheel. Dax also has an advertisment on upper left of this page. Using a used bike, you want to make sure it is in good repair and tuned up.
Folks have put China Girls (HT) kits on step threw frames as well. But a bit of a pain.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Welcome.

Friction drive set ups are relatively easy to mount. O.K., the easiest.

Nothing is impossible.
Thats a great point and they are very inexpensive. There are some incredible DIYers here who have done amazing stuff for very lil cash. Can get kit friction drives too.

(A friction drive is where the motor physically touches the wheel to turn it. No chain or belt)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I would strongly suggest front and rear brakes. At 20 or 30 MPH, you really want to be able to stop well. I looked at pics of your bike and man thats a beauty! You can get a front hub brake so not to interfere with the fender. They are a bit pricey. Or ask at local bike shop about alternatives. I have seen fenders cut back with a dremel that looked factory made. You have lots of options and that will be one sweet looking Motorized bike!

There are lots of folks from MA here. In May, a bunch of us are getting together in East Hartford CT. Would be a good way to look at other MBs and get a feel for them. MB Rallys are a blast. Some great folks here.