Howdy folks

GoldenMotor.com

ridgebuggy

Jun 22, 2014
nunya
I have been looking for something cool for me and my wife to ride out in the woods and to goof around on.I wanted to find out some info on how to make a low end torquey sort of bike for the hilly area I live in,not interested in going over 35 mph.I am not a very light person 250+,and i also wanted 4 stroke so it would be a little quieter in the woods I also wanted to build two one for me and one for her with good brakes.I am a complete noob on this and any help would be appreciated.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. Great that you plan to share the hobby with your wife. I would install HS 49cc four stroke engines on beach cruisers; They have an auto clutch and wide power band. Just my opinion. We all have our favorites.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I'm thinking that if you want to ride hilly terrain and in the woods you may need something more powerful then a 49cc. I'm just sayin'...

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I'm thinking that if you want to ride hilly terrain and in the woods you may need something more powerful then a 49cc. I'm just sayin'...
That is true but anything bigger then 49cc would almost be built non kit. One of the side bar sponsors sell a rear sprocket that you can just pull a pin and you can change the gear ratio. That would be good for woods as you don't want speed anyway.............Curt

ridgebuggy

Jun 22, 2014
nunya
Is it possible to get a kit without a engine.What I was thinking was like a 5hp briggs engine with a clutch like on a old manco gokart.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Is it possible to get a kit without a engine.What I was thinking was like a 5hp briggs engine with a clutch like on a old manco gokart.
The best then is to study some of the Board track and DIY non kit builds and go from there. You will need a jack shaft to get the gearing right. It also depends on if you are going with chain or belt or a combo of the two. Use the search bar on top and look for gear calculater and what ever else you need. There are go kart suppliers were you can get shaft and sprocket parts also farms supply stores have some . And you can by Wizzer pulleys. Also check out the sponsors on the side bars for parts ............Curt

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I have been looking for something cool for me and my wife to ride out in the woods and to goof around on.I wanted to find out some info on how to make a low end torquey sort of bike for the hilly area I live in,not interested in going over 35 mph.I am not a very light person 250+,and i also wanted 4 stroke so it would be a little quieter in the woods I also wanted to build two one for me and one for her with good brakes.I am a complete noob on this and any help would be appreciated.
Quite and torquey for rough terrain with good brakes?
Think about an electric shifter on a mountain bike.

This is not a cheap venture, nor is it suitable for extended rides (over 30 miles), but mindlessly easy to operate and maintain, clean enough keep parked in your kitchen, almost eerie quiet, and depending on gears could darn near climb a telephone pole.

This particular build was on a ~$3,500 full suspension dual disc brake Specialized mountain bike but you don't need to go that extreme, you can decent mountain bikes with disc brakes for around $1,000, the electric shifting motor are ~$400 each. and the kick butt Lithium Ion battery packs about $950 with chargers.

It all comes down to your budget and ability to build.
These are easy to build.