How to remove a woodruff key?

GoldenMotor.com

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Today I took apart my dead motors bottom end out of boredom. I managed to get the motor completely apart with an impact driver, a big screwdriver a small screwdriver and a hammer. However I was confused about how to remove the woodruff keys. Heres how I did it: Stuck a screwdriver by the top of the key, hit it with a hammer, and repeated until I could "leverage" it out. Is this how its suppost to be done? Please fill me in! P.S. I found that "Motovelo" engines are actually as good as they say. The interiors of the case were very high quality, and it had japanese made bearing (idk if this is standard) anyway I was impressed... Moto. .shft.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i usually us a chisel,downward on one end to roll it out and then finish from other end,
if you're lucky a pair of side cutters will roll them out too.the smaller the key,the tougher to get in/out.
i have cleaned them up with a file to re-use,but dont want to make key loose in the grooves.
J.A.Pan bearings are usully of very good quality.

biken stins

Jul 11, 2008
If what your removing has a woodruff key it should of needed a puller of some type to remove. When the part is off it will fall out out of slot or if tight use pliers.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Be careful hammering on the magneto end of the crankshaft. It is only about 5/16" in diameter and can be bent easily. Guys have ruined cranks by trying to pry the magneto rotor off putting too much pressure on one side. Use a puller. Ace Hardware sells a faucet handle puller that works like it was made for HT magneto magnets.

Tooljunkie is right. A pair of sharp side cutters will usually work to pry a woodruff key out. Use some care and they won't damage the key.
good luck.

Tom

JonD

Aug 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
Sometimes the only thing you can do is grind the key out with a dremel. Yamaha marine engines use a carbon steel key for their water pump even in their 'saltwater' series which is notoriously hard to get out because is is always heavily rusted into the driveshaft. You can also drill relieve holes into the key to get some penetrating oil like PB blaster or wd40 working with you along with heat from a mapp gas or oxyacelalene torch if you are going to beat it out. (head around the key to expand the slot, don't head the key)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just use a tiny screwdriver and carefully tap the key out. I've never had any trouble getting one out.