Exhaust gasket help

GoldenMotor.com

Rnalecz

Jul 19, 2008
My exhaust gasket broke i quess. I need to get another one but i dont know how, i heard to get gasket paper and just carve a new one, but the thing is my old one that broke had like metal on both sides with like spongy type material between it. Not sure if gasket paper will come with it, or do i need the spongy material between it?

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
my exhaust gasket also broke. I cut a new one out of a piece of cardboard from an old notebook, the back side of it. I put some 2-stroke oil on both sides of it and put it in place. I've had no problems since.

VaporKing

May 15, 2008
Hi.

I had the same problem. The "cheesy" orange stock gasket just crumbled-up and fell apart.

Someone on this forum recommended cutting my own with EGR valve gasket material from an auto parts store.

I had problems finding it (EGR gasket), but the tech at an O'Reilys looked-up the temp specs on a "Mr. Gasket" acrylic (about 1/8" - 3/16" thick) product (rated for 2-cycle exhaust manifolds), and recommended it. The sheet costs about $8 (US). The material is very tough and "leathery". I had to use my Dremmel to cut it.

OReily's had a lot of good prices on small engine parts too (like inline fuel filters, manual choke cable, etc..).

I've been using the same gasket, even with two different mufflers, and it still holds and seals great. I highly recommend it.

VaporKing
150 Miles/Gallon
"If it doesn't kill me, it makes me stronger".

Rnalecz

Jul 19, 2008
Ok cool i made one out of cardboard, but i was wondering if it would possibly catch on fire or slow my engine down? It doesnt leak anymore which is good

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This gasket works great all you need to do is adapt the size of the hole to match the muffler I have been using it for a couple of week no problems and it's under $2.00.

I used metal cutter (fine tiped tin snips) to make the center hole bigger and put a very thin layer of RTV copper just make sure it sealed properly.

I would have used the aluminum paint that norm recommends but I could not find any.

Attachments

Last edited:

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
What worked great for me, with ZERO trimming required, is something called brake quiet, a high-temp orange silicone originally designed for disc brake pads to glue them to pistons/calipers of cars to prevent rattling. Brakes get prolly just as hot as a small 2 stroke. If a THIN and EVEN layer is applied to the exhaust manifold prior to assembly, none will spooge out into the port to restrict it, and lasts a long time, and no trimming or fitting required.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
need an exhaust gasket?
I make them out of a very high temp resistant material, this stuff will work fo head gasket material as well.
I'll send 2 exhaust gaskets and 2 intake gaskets for $12.00 that includes shipping to anywhere in the lower 48 states all you have to do is PM me and let me know your mailing address send me a check, money order, or cash. I'll trust you guys and if you let me know I'll ship them before you pay.
Norman
If I happen to run out of material I'll let you know so you won't send a payment.
sound good?

Last edited:

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
I no longer have my original to do a tracing. Should I hit it with ink or something to get a tracing? The paper I got was thin like 1/16 inch. Should I get the thicker mr. gasket paper?

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
This may sound silly, but I ran out of gasket material, and needed a gasket, so I cut one from roofing tar paper. It works GREAT, self sealing after warming up, just after the first ride, the nuts need to be tightened. I also did the same on the intake, and the heat from the cylinder also sealed the intake.