just joined,

GoldenMotor.com

CRANKIT

Feb 9, 2012
australia
Hello everyone, i just joined the forum, interested to see what goes down here, i see lots of interesting subjects being raised concerning bikes and i do believe that there is probably a lot of info which will save me a lot of headaches,, i am still in the process of researching this topic on the internet, i realised i want to build a bike which can incorporate old school style with modern go-fast goodies and be comfortable to ride.
So far, getting the correct balance of looks and comfort has made me cut this bike 3 times already,,,by trial and error, it still needs further experimentation (ride angle, crankhub positioning, how low is too low,etc).
I expect to achieve 100k/ph with what i have planned.
I am trying to attach pictures,,
cheers
ck.

Attachments

Last edited:

M&M REBEL BIKES

Feb 2, 2012
Fair Oaks, CA
Really cool design! I have a stretched out cruiser that i added the rear suspension to. I was considering putting a motor on it. The challenges I'm seeing is a self adjusting chain tentioner. Did you already that figure that out? Make one with a spring?

Rebel

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Welcome and thx for those photos. You weld up a cool bike :)

I dunno about hitting 100KPH on a bike, though. If you really need to go that fast a motorcycle is advisable. No part of a bike is ment to ever go anywhere near that fast and they have a bad habit of self dissassembeling themselves at those speeds. Wear lots of body armor if you do, though. Huge raspberries hurt like he.ll and will ugly your face in a hurry..bf.

CRANKIT

Feb 9, 2012
australia
Welcome and thx for those photos. You weld up a cool bike :)hey Dave, i see your point regarding a pushbike not meant to go that fast, although there are some guys here down under who are hitting 97 k/ph, with a single small rear sprocket, although they have no take off power whatsoever, my theory is to make it capable of that but not necessarily doing so, i have given this bike much thought and would like the flexibility of power and safety, hence the full suspension. At the moment the bike is in the design stage, i will be addressing the issue of the derrailler, possibly ditching it for a new shimano (11 speed hub SG 700) with disc brakes because the derailler fouls on the frame and i cannot select top gear.
The frame of the bike has a tube wall thickness of 2.2mm which should withstand the shockload of bumps etc,,
I shall be going for a morini s6s motor with sick bike parts, jackshaft and i will need to do some fancy machining to incorporate a tensioned drivechain to take up the slack of the rear suspension,, this puppy is going to be a balltearer, but its gonna take a while to build.xx. and probably cost me a bit too!!

I dunno about hitting 100KPH on a bike, though. If you really need to go that fast a motorcycle is advisable. No part of a bike is ment to ever go anywhere near that fast and they have a bad habit of self dissassembeling themselves at those speeds. Wear lots of body armor if you do, though. Huge raspberries hurt like he.ll and will ugly your face in a hurry..bf.
Hey dave i see your point regarding pushbikes doing crazy speeds although here down under there are some hitting 97k/ph!!!

CRANKIT

Feb 9, 2012
australia
Really cool design! I have a stretched out cruiser that i added the rear suspension to. I was considering putting a motor on it. The challenges I'm seeing is a self adjusting chain tentioner. Did you already that figure that out? Make one with a spring?

Rebel
Hey Rebel, thats exactly what i have been investigating lately, i will need to machine up a slotted plate-spring tensioner which will probably be situated on the jackshaft although i will have to bench test its efficiency in real world terms, just need to get all the angles right first before i start butchering things up again, the morini i am putting on this thing has got some grunt, so i wont be rushing this build.
i have been planning on building this beast for years,, its gonna have that morphed-custom world war 2 look about it,, i am still sourcing parts,ie- guards, lights 4 litre custom tank, some sheet metal infil etc,, jeez i am excited just typing this,,
cheers
C,K.

SlowJoe

Feb 10, 2012
Vista, California
Welcome to the forum, Good looking bike you got started there. Lucky you to have the tools and materials available. Think i'll stick kits and just upgrade to a better kit each time Im ready throw another one together.

CRANKIT

Feb 9, 2012
australia
Welcome to the forum, Good looking bike you got started there. Lucky you to have the tools and materials available. Think i'll stick kits and just upgrade to a better kit each time Im ready throw another one together.
Thanks joe, it helps when you are a fabricator /blacksmith by trade,, messing with pushbike frames is just like a walk in the park with all the forming /forging tools, welders, etc i got on hand,, i am doing this bike as a sort of stress relief/ toy.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Nice frame and good ideas. I've got a Staton system on my bike. Certainly build your bike according to the terrain you'll predominantly be riding on. Where I live there's a lot of steep hills and long grades. So the need for my engine to drive multiple gears was a must. On my bike I manually shift the front three gears and the rear seven shift automatically. I use a crank drive system. The downhill gear I've reached speeds of 45 mph (72 kph).

Last edited:

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa

Rebel
use a rear derailer for a tensioner , but there are others out there or you could fab up one your self.

CRANKIT

Feb 9, 2012
australia
derailler for a tensioner sounds good, although the best part about coil spring suspension is the fact i can adjust it to be super hard at the back or soft just by turning the threaded end cap, which by doing so will stop any chain slack, but inturn is a much harsher ride,,, i borrowed 2 from a huffy mountain bike forthe front and back of this bike, when time comes for motor and road testing i am glad i have the option of adjustment,,, still not sure about the springer forks i fabbed up on the bike, i have a set of full length internal spring forks from a shwinn mountain bike which i may add a springer style arrangement to later, they feel much softer than the ones i made, the springerdance1 addition to those forks will allow fine tune and adjustment for the front, if i make that decision i will have to cut the frame again to fit,, oh well,, its fun experimenting with stuff you enjoy twice.
1-making
2-riding

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
its fun experimenting with stuff you enjoy twice.
1-making
2-riding
amen , Crankit, check out mine its a similar build only difference is I use a rokshok, air pressure at 125 , an it has adjustable bound an rebound a neat feature of that shock is you can lock out its movement if you want ,reallllllllllly smooth ride . check out my build mock up kinda rough an you can see the rear derailer acts as a chain tensioner .