Completely new... Help?

GoldenMotor.com

cartersummerell

Dec 11, 2011
Florida
Hello,

Im totally new to the forum and also the idea of a motorized bicycle. I would like to build one but I have certain questions....
1- will I be able to go up hills?
2- whats the fastest these things go?
3- why are pedals still on the bikes?
4- whats the easiest engine to "cannibalize" ?
5- do people use gears (from a mountain bike or something)?

Thanks! Im excited for this haha
-Carter

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Hello,

Im totally new to the forum and also the idea of a motorized bicycle. I would like to build one but I have certain questions....

-Carter
read every section on this forum and all the posts in them
then you will have your answers

as far as pedals ....... a BICYCLE has pedals a motorcycle does not

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Welcome to the club, Carter.

All of your questions will be answered when you do more research on what you're interested in.

cartersummerell

Dec 11, 2011
Florida
I have looked all over the forums and read alot, but my first questions are these...

What are the advantages to running a 2 stroke compared to a 4?
I know that the 2 stroke gets a little bit faster but the 4 stroke can sustain an alright speed for a long time.
as far as my questions about the gears, still stands...
and same with the pedals. but I want to build something like a board tracker, im just not sure where to start or what frame...

kolomootro

May 24, 2011
ohio
Hello,

-Carter
1 yes you will probobly be able to go up hills with chinese kits with 44 t sprocket the kits come with.

2 depends, kits should go 30 more or less.

3you have to start the engine with pedals or if your engine has a pull rope its still nice to have your feet not dangling.

4.idk i havnt really tried

5 yes they sell shift kits but they cost money.

4 stroke you dont have to mix oil 2 stroke you do.
if your not gonna use kit then it all depends.
(

Last edited:

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
Hello,

1- will I be able to go up hills? MINE takes modest hills
2- whats the fastest these things go? I don't have the cahones to go faster than 20 mph
3- why are pedals still on the bikes? absolutel! needed to turn engine over to start!
4- whats the easiest engine to "cannibalize" ?Don't! buy it new, ready t go! Less fussing
5- do people use gears (from a mountain bike or something)? I have gears on my Schwing Phantom. Once it's going I can gearup and go faster by helping the engine

-Carter
see my italicized inserts following your questions
contact me off list for PDF copies of assembly instructions I have filed away
[email protected]

yodar

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
2 stroke Vs. 4 cycle-

Personally the more I've used the China Girl 2 strokes, the more I like em for a bicycle motor-

1. Cheaper initial cost and parts
2. They fit between most pedals- have to go wider crank for a heavier 4 stroke that carries oil internally and needs valves beside the head.
3. on the negative, they are a little noisier I think, but noise can be minimized
4. 2 strokes need less "power conversion" apparatus. If you planned to use a shift kit to take advantage of the bicycle gears with the motor, this might equal out some, but you can run a chain straight from the 2 stroke to the back wheel gear, no fuss no muss.

I have a scooter, with 16" moped size wheels even, but I find my motorized bicycle so much more convenient to use, and part of that is that I like to cut the power and pedal around. after a long racing career I keep the seat up at normal peddling height and have narrow 700 C and 27" tires so that I have a fairly viable peddling bicycle otherwise- and it rolls and rolls for blocks after I cut the motor off.

Being in Florida too you'll probably have no problems with the authorities, but please don't be a maniac. as to your query about speed, when you really go at it and if you want to use a bike for practical transportation, you may find that a decent cruising speed is more what you're after as opposed to the top end- The little motors scream quite a bit wide open- With some bigger gearing (that means smaller sprocket in the back) you can be at 25 or 30 without opening the motor up full and taxing it so- it's your motor and you don't want to repair it all the time right?

I've had good results with a 36 on a 66 motor, but a 50cc handles a 39 pretty well and still moves along nicely, with a lighter and quieter, but obviously less powerful motor. See my sound comparison video in the video threads

If it were me, and unless you're a super motor mechanic, I'd start out simple and stay to a beaten kit path whether 2 or 4 stroke- I've paid more attention to the bike itself although I do have two builds with both sizes of China Girl 2 strokers- Wheels that roll and tires that don't vibrate like beach tires do are big fators for me- I use shock seat posts and have a shock fork on the faster bike.

I like to use alloy BMX bars with a slight rise for my bad back but most importantly that have a solid perpenicular grip on them- ya gotta hang on!

A billet intake really helps the motor perform as intended as does a newer 66 speed carb when using a newer 66 motor.

My bikes are lightweight so I can push them up and down a flight of apartment stairs, but I wouldn't have the any other way- that's why I like three piece alloy crank conversions and the alloy bars and stems, and always alloy rims for the relatively smooth Florida streets.

A 415 TRIKE chain weighs little more than half the standard kit chain, although the same width, and really rolls quietly- a real difference peddling too..santa(^)

Attachments

Last edited:

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
That looks real nice! Except your rear brake. That looks rather frightening D:

My goal for my bike is to make it very peddleable too. Finals week though... Can't work on the bike for a bit.. )=

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The pedals are nessesary because the engines aren't very powerful & you still have to pedal the bike to get it rolling (& help it get up to speed); & also, if you remove the pedals, it's no longer a motorized bicycle... it's now a scooter & falls into a whole different catagory with the law.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I know I'm late to chime in, but I thought there might still be room to contribute.
- Re hills: how well your bike takes hills depends on 1) how you've geared the rear wheel, and 2) how powerful your engine actually is. For example, I have a 2-stroke HT that has been port matched and the carburettor has been tweaked and messed with. I run a 38T rear sprocket and I climb modest hills like they're not there, and some steeper ones - I just give her more gas.
- Re engines: that is very much a matter of personal preference. Go with what you know best and would rather have. If you're more comfortable working on 4-strokes, those may be easier for you. I find 2-strokes easier myself, but I can't say I've ever HAD to work on mine. I've done the usual "dialing in", changed a plug, etc. But mine's so durned reliable I've never needed to do any emergency stuff. Truthfully: my bike is more reliable than my Dodge Caravan, and that says a lot to me. Whichever you choose, you will find experienced help, support, and boatloads of knowledge here on this forum.
- Re helmets: I wasn't going to preach, really I wasn't. I just saw it wasn't mentioned and thought I'd bring it up. If you were to ask me, I would tell you I believe they work. There are conditions and circumstances where a helmet will save your life. But remember: it is, and always will be, your choice. If you choose one, get a good one - DOT certified at least. If not, hey, what can we say? You're an adult. You're entitled.

Last edited: