Why no winter riding?

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Forgive a Desert Rat for not understanding who's never seen snow more then ankle deep and has lived in AZ his entire life. Every year at this time I hear guys who say there riding is over until spring or summer.

Why? Is it the cold weather? Or just the snow and hazard riding conditions?

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
I live in northern Washigton and ride time is just about over. yes it is the heavy rains, snow and hazardous road conditions. I can deal with the cold, its the rest that cannot be delt with. There is just no way around it.
Oh well the cabin fever will be taking over soon.. ha ha ha

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yah, fresh snow is real difficult on a streetbike, sheet ice is impossible without spikes, freezing temps at speed are enough to bring tears to your eyes, and rain, well, it's just NOT fun!

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
You wouldn't want road salt and sand and wet snow slush, muck being kicked up by the tires and go into your chain and sprockets, and maybe try to work its way into the bearings on the chain side of the clutch shaft, maybe get into the magneto area and start corroding everything in there, etc.

Then you put away your bike and it all freezes overnight.

Maybe a regular unmotorized bicycle you could hose it down, but around here, we disconnect and put away the hoses and turn off the inside valve that goes to the spigot, no easy way to hose down after a ride, and you would not want to do that around the engine, anyway.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Because my eyes water, my nose runs and my fingers and toes get numb. That, is not my idea of fun. I'd rather get in my truck, turn on the heater and not feel like Santa on my way to the library. There's always spring to look forward to. :)

Tom (aka, Fair Weather Rider)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey Dave,
Here's an invitation. Come spend a couple of days with Char and I, say, about mid January. I'll give you your choice of my bikes to ride and turn you loose on the trails the Denver Area Riders cruise. When you get back I think you'll have answered your question. :)
Tom

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Hey Dave,
Here's an invitation. Come spend a couple of days with Char and I, say, about mid January. I'll give you your choice of my bikes to ride and turn you loose on the trails the Denver Area Riders cruise. When you get back I think you'll have answered your question. :)
Tom
I second that. Say about 5:00 to 6:00 AM will be prime time to see what the malfunction is ... laff

Last edited by a moderator:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Snow is bad, but slush is worse. Passing traffic can shower you in dirty gritty glop that'll soak through your riding gear and leave you wet all day. The cold you can dress for, but it's only practical if you're near freezing point. On the up side, the china girls love chilly mornings (at least mine do).. I found some info on temp vs. air volume, I'll post it elsewhere.

I haven't ridden at all this week due to crappy weather, but if the day is going to be dry I'll usually give it a go. We had a little wet snow where I am in Van last night, and it screws up the drivers out here badly. I used to live in southern Ontario so I grew up driving and riding in the snow. Back there I rode an old ten speed before I got the Norco I ride now, the thin tires were great at cutting through drifting snow. The knobby tires gum up badly with packed snow and you end up applying a slippery wheel to a slippery road while binding up a bit at the brake calipers.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
My future plans call for a move to the El Paso, TX area, more likely in New Mexico side. Every year the cold gets to me more and more. When my mom passes(many years from now I hope) that's the destination. That or Hawaii ;)

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Forgive a Desert Rat for not understanding who's never seen snow more then ankle deep and has lived in AZ his entire life. Every year at this time I hear guys who say there riding is over until spring or summer.

Why? Is it the cold weather? Or just the snow and hazard riding conditions?
IDK what those guys are thinking? I'd lived in Colorado my entire life and I ride year around. Whether it's motorcycles, motorbikes, atv's, ect. the rule is: if it is over 40 degrees and no precipitation then lets ride. The only real threat on the road is other drivers and gravel that C-DOT puts down for traction. I love winter riding .sno.

SAVED1

May 29, 2011
Miami Fl.
great thread though i'm not sure what the OP was thinking when he created this thread lol but it's a fun thread none the less.

I have no weather conditions for me to really worry about here where i live so i can ride year round if i want. the accessional rain here and there may slow me down but for the most part it's not a big deal.

I do feel for those in other parts that have to um, put their riding on hold do to weather conditions. I'll do a ride for ya'll

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I would join in with the others and invite you to come to the Midwest mid-winter and take yourself a ride! I doubt you would get out of the airport, or the car, or whatever heated refuge you are nesting in before you let out a hearty "H E L L NO!". LOL Bottom line, my body and/or bike just can't take that kind of cold!
Honestly, I find any ride under 60 degrees is uncomfortable and I ride to enjoy, not for transportation. The enjoyment is pretty much gone when your hands ache, your nose runs and your face is numb.....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I just know we're going to hear from Paul on this, sooner or later. He's gonna rub it in and tell us that the temperature is hovering in the 80s and that he just got back from the beach. Just wait and see. :)
Tom

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I just know we're going to hear from Paul on this, sooner or later. He's gonna rub it in and tell us that the temperature is hovering in the 80s and that he just got back from the beach. Just wait and see. :)
Tom
Yah, but does he have FREE ICE???? LOL

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
:-||Went for a short ride today, and it was 18 degrees. The old china girl is a cold blooded critter! Took to many pulls on the starter to get her going. Then on the way home , about a block to go the damn chain came off, and got all bound up around the bottom bracket, in between the sprocket and said sprocket! Thats it done till spring!!!!!