My experience with air filters

GoldenMotor.com

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have about an inch of clearance from the intake of my carb to my seat tube. I had to mod the stock filter box just to get it in there. Then I tried the multi-layer pantyhose trick, it worked, but i felt it was a pain to replace. I then decided to try the foam element from the stock filter. I placed the foam over the carb, put the little black plastic "screen" on and tightened the screws. worked great after i wrapped the edge in duct tape. not that pretty, but effective. then it came to me after seeing the aftermarket air filters with the foam covers... a pop filter for a microphone! you know, the foam ball looking things on a game show host's mic? I got one for $1.99. it fits right over the intake on the carb. spray a little filter oil on it and viola! it doesn't look half bad, fixes the clearance issue, is cheap, and works great! just thought i'd share...

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I use pantyhose, but I have it covering the filter box(which I cut a big hole in) and I have a quick release zip-tie keeping it in place. That way I don't have to cut it every time.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That microphone wind sock trick is a good one. Thanks for sharing it here.

Radio Shack would be a good source for them and they are called 'wind socks, or wind shields and used to help reduce wind noise when using a mike outdoors and they also help keep the 'puff' sounds from the mouth when people speak.
Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...I got one for $1.99. it fits right over the intake on the carb. spray a little filter oil on it and viola! it doesn't look half bad, fixes the clearance issue, is cheap, and works great! just thought i'd share...
Defo a good tip! I thought I should mention if you've one of the Chinese two smokers - you may find oiling the filter unnecessary as there's plenty enough backblow from these unreeded piston ported motors to take care of that for ya, but if ya choose to anyway - you might end up running a bit rich...

Which can be compensated for ofc, but I found that the restriction differences between a clean filter, a dirty one, unoiled & oiled can be close to a full needle clip adjustment, so between that & the backblow I've stopped bothering to preoil the filter (the backblown gasoline also tends to flush out the filter oil, resulting in a "variable" fuel/air mix).

Oiled filters are w/o a doubt the best at removing small particulates however, so it's defo yer call ;)

Last edited:

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I most likely won't be oiling the "filter" as, you're right, they probably do get enough oil. I also took that into consideration when ordering one. My color options were blue, red, and black. I wanted red, but thought about how dirty it would look.