first motorized bike build (new to forum)

GoldenMotor.com

archertiger3

Aug 28, 2011
Kansas
this is my first post on the forum, since i'm starting to build a gas bike.
i've done some reasearch and got a bike and a kit
a scwinn del mar cruiser and a grubee gt5
here's a pic so far

the hole in the sprocket was not big enough so i had to make it bigger.
i got it on and centered pretty good. here's a pic

this i'll try and mount the engine, i'm just going to drill through the frame and through the original mount and put a bolt through.

i'm in high school, do you guys think i would have any problem riding it there, if i chained it down?
i'll keep you guys updated on this build.
any tips would be appreciated

future plans:
banana seat
flipping bars upside down
paint tank silver (black right now)

Attachments

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Hi. That should be a nice looking ride when it's ready.

I'm not sure about drilling the frame, you might be able to find another option if you look around here for a bit.

As for parking it at school, that'll depend on how AR the admin is at your school ;) (and I'd find out if your school has a history of bikes being stolen or not). You'll find yourself answering a lot of questions from people who think it's cool, too.

Food for thought... Do a good job on it and you can start doing installs for others. There might even be a few bucks in doing it if you get enough interest.
brnot

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I'm sure drilling would probably be fine, but I chose to mount it without drilling. Had nothing but success from that decision! If you decide to go the non-drilling route, I really recommend using rubber padding. Others around here claim that it's a bad practice, but I've found no negatives from it. My engine has stayed firm in place and I never have to tighten the nuts.

It really depends, as far as your school is concerned. When I was in high school, my normal bike was often sabotaged. But it really depends on your school. Maybe talk to your principal or someone with authority to get permission first. There was a guy at my high school who rode a pocket bike to school and it didn't seem like he ever had problems with people wrecking or stealing it.

I've heard that barbecue paint works well for heat/fuel resistant paint. If you haven't already chosen a chrome paint, that might be the way to go.

Oh, also remember to port match your intake and exhaust. If you haven't found this out already, the hole on the exhaust pipe is quite a bit smaller than the exhaust port on the engine. Same goes for the intake neck. I took a dremel to the exhaust pipe and intake neck to make the holes wider to match the engine ports, making for better airflow. I don't have exact mph measurements, but I noticed a slight increase in performance!

Last edited:

archertiger3

Aug 28, 2011
Kansas
got the sprocket finished and bars flipped.
here's some pics so far
what springer forks do you guys recomend?
i think a front disk brake would be pretty good, what would you recomend for it?
once i get the engine mounted i'll post more pics

Attachments