100:1 Mix

GoldenMotor.com

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
Opti-2 makes the claim that their oil is different due to it's "eutectic" properties, which they describe as improving the surface metal of the cylinder wall instead of just lubricating. They have some info on their website showing it actually smooths the metal surfaces, thereby further reducing friction.

To me, it sounds awefully snake-oily, but I have been using it with great results so far. Engine runs great, NO smoke and NO oily splatter on wheels and frame.

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
One more Opti-2 option for people who can't find it. Yesterday I was in my local Family Farm store (similar to a Tractor Supply) and they have opti-2 but also another product called US2 oil. Sold in the same 1.8oz packets, same mix of 1 packet to a gallon, and same fine print that it is made by Interlube, makers of Opti2.

Their site (us2oil.com) shows all the same marketing stuff as opti including the "3rd generation oil".

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i was running opti-2 @ 72:1. the plug looked like it would like less oil.
i went to 100:1. before i was getting about 30-32mph.
now i got up to 35mph. i wasn't even really trying it might have let me go faster if i tried.
before switching to opti-2 it took about half a block to start.
@ 72:1 it took about 15 feet.
@ 100:1 it starts with any enough effort that turns the crank.
i'm loving it.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
A lot of that is carb jetting too. At sea level where you are that richer fuel you are getting is prolly what the Doctor Ordered per say

GEJoe

Mar 30, 2011
Tennessee
Doggone if my CAG engine just does not like Opti-2. Ran it for the first time with the new piston and cylinder and it overheated again at 36:1, but did not seize or score. Could not restart until it cooled off. Called Duane at Dax and he said to go with Valvoline at 20:1. So no more Opti for this engine. Have not run it yet at that ratio. Been too busy with the engine rebuild on my 1990 Geo Metro.

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Love the geo metro!

Just wanted to pass on that the opti 2 guy told me that if you run it at ratios higher than 100:1 like even 80:1 he said it would actually run hotter. Not sure if that's what happening here. Just wanted to throw it out there.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi GEJoe

Thanks for sharing, and don`t take offense, but why would mix 36:1?
Too much of a good thing.

Keep us posted if you would. Thanks.

Ron

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i was running mine @ 71:1. changed over to 100:1 & it runs better.
i would imagine running it @ 36:1 would be bad. because @ 71:1 i was having a lot of build up on my spark plug even though it was a great caramel color.
you know if there is too much vitamin D in your milk it works against your bones.
can't really blame opti or the engine if using so much oil.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
36:1 Opti2 is not how this oil is designed to work, mix it @ 72:1 (1.8oz per gallon) tune the carb right and that cag will run like a champ.

My opinion is that at the 36:1 ratio that engine isn't getting nearly enough fuel and you are having a serious lean condition.

But as with many things to each their own, I persoanlly love opti2 and run it in every 2 smoker I own with ZERO issues, they all run great, minimal to no smoke, very low odor, and great throttle response with great revs at the top......what more could anyone want?

It's all in the tuning with any 2 stroke with any oil......!

Peace, map

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
Well, after reading through this brick of info that would fill a dictionary, I believe I'll give it a try. I don't about finding it locally though, if not there's always flebay! I got a lol at the tag, epic redundancy! Very fitting!!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I parked my bike next to a bike running opti 2 and when I came back I had a flat tire, so I would never use the stuff.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
... I got a lol at the tag, epic redundancy! Very fitting!!
Glad you liked the tag. I had followed this thread from the beginning and then it got resurrected, again and I just had to tag it in that manner. What in the world can anyone possibly say that hasn't already been said 3 or 4 times already in this thread.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Glad you liked the tag. I had followed this thread from the beginning and then it got resurrected, again and I just had to tag it in that manner. What in the world can anyone possibly say that hasn't already been said 3 or 4 times already in this thread.
Buy local! No shipping costs.

I bought a 4-liter jug of Opti-2 for $90.00 That amounts to $.64 per 8-day fillup. At this rate, the Opti-2 jug should last me 4 years, 8 months and two weeks.dance1