Theft?

GoldenMotor.com

inky13112

Jun 19, 2011
Texas
I'm thinking of getting myself a motorized bike, but I don't live in the greatest part of town. I don't want to make the investment if its just going to get stolen right off the bat. I was wondering what y'alls experience with bike security is.

How major of a problem is theft with motorized bikes? What sort of protection measures do you take for you're bike? Any notable experiences with theft?

Thanks for any responses.

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
Get a U-lock, they run $15-30. They are virtually unbreakable- they'd (thieves) need a grinder and work on it for at least a few minutes (that horrible high pitched screech and light show would wake up the average guy at home or at least alert a pedestrain that "something" is going down (if you lived in a smaller town this would be especially helpful). Basically, no one's gonna bust out a grinder to make a lotta noise and fireworks to steal a $200-500 bike. We have premiere carbon fiber Specialized, Bianchi, etc..$2,000+ bikes here in Seattle and people lock them routinely with U-locks on the street without incident.

Now a cable or chain with a padlock? I could get that sh*t off in 5-45 sec. gaurenteed everytime regardless of size or lock. With a pair of pliers or a bolt cutter- and a nice MB with a filmsy cable or master-lock and chain is going to be attractive to a theft.

Make sure you lubricate the U-lock key hole routinely, those keys aren't strong (never force the key if it doesn't turn, just try again).

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I have the thickest cable Kryptonite lock you can get. Cable is 1/2" steel with a plastic jacket that makes overall diameter around 3/4" . It's so heavy duty it doesn't want to strech out at all. It still is in a coil after 2 years of use.

But like the old saying goes, locks are to keep honest people honest. I've gone the biker route and keep my bike in the house. Not an option if there's a woman in the house ;)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Get a U-lock, they run $15-30. They are virtually unbreakable- they'd (thieves) need a grinder and work on it for at least a few minutes (that horrible high pitched screech and light show would wake up the average guy at home or at least alert a pedestrain that "something" is going down (if you lived in a smaller town this would be especially helpful). Basically, no one's gonna bust out a grinder to make a lotta noise and fireworks to steal a $200-500 bike. We have premiere carbon fiber Specialized, Bianchi, etc..$2,000+ bikes here in Seattle and people lock them routinely with U-locks on the street without incident.

Now a cable or chain with a padlock? I could get that sh*t off in 5-45 sec. gaurenteed everytime regardless of size or lock. With a pair of pliers or a bolt cutter- and a nice MB with a filmsy cable or master-lock and chain is going to be attractive to a theft.

Make sure you lubricate the U-lock key hole routinely, those keys aren't strong (never force the key if it doesn't turn, just try again).
Can you break this? I use it on my MB.
Amazon.com: Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboutit 1410 Chain Bicycle Lock with New York Disc 3 Lock Chain Bicycle Lock: Sports & Outdoors

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I like the U lock, it is the easiest to use. Cables are a pain.

But I do have one with a regular flat key - :)

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I have a cable very strong and I have it on my rack but it is a pain in the ass to use. I am going to get a U lock & use it on my pedal bikes too

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
This will make you have a ton of faith in a ulock... YouTube - ‪U-Lock Bic Pen Trick‬‏
Those are the old-style cylindrical keyed locks U-locks, they haven't made those in years.. but yeah- I'd avoid buy old used U-locks.

New locks have a redesigned straight flat key system. Just be sure to use a lubricant (chain oil or such, not WD-40) to keep the lock from rusting and seizing and breaking your key off!

Can you break this? I use it on my MB.
Amazon.com: Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboutit 1410 Chain Bicycle Lock with New York Disc 3 Lock Chain Bicycle Lock: Sports & Outdoors
I couldn't break the U-lock (it's a U-lock and a high-grade steel chain?). I could probably bust that chain off (chains are vunerable to prying and cutters- they have seams). I hope you're locking the U-lock to your frame to whatever you're locking it to and not locking the chain around your frame only- just to be sure. It also goes without saying that your locking is only as good as what you're locking it to..chose metal (thicker the better- in full public view Vs. smallish evergreen shrubbery behind the mall?
Also, you don't need to buy a brand name Kryptonite U-lock..they're $10-15 more and it's just a brand name! I have a Bell that I got for $14 and it's been used for years..

Last edited:

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
All I use is a simple cable lock. The cable is wound around my messenger bag and I unlock it when I get off the bike. With that I never have had a problem (knock on wood). I guess it just discourages the folks who would want to take it on a whim. If somebody really wants your bike its gone.

It's a kryptonite cable. I've been told that it just keeps honest people honest. When I owned a bicycle shop I used to sell U-locks because they came with an insurance policy and the way I sold them was I said "you're buying insurance policy" and you're getting a lock as a bonus. I explained to them how to register their bike in order to get the insurance. I don't remember if anybody ever needed to turn in their policy.

I figure that a motorized bicycle is daunting enough without a lock so with a lock it gives them a bit more pause. And yes I did see the video of some jerk zipping off with some fellows bike and it still ticks me off.

mike

Last edited:

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
All I use is a simple cable lock. The cable is wound around my messenger bag and I unlock it when I get off the bike. With that I never have had a problem (knock on wood). I guess it just discourages the folks who would want to take it on a whim. If somebody really wants your bike its gone.

It's a kryptonite cable. I've been told that it just keeps honest people honest. `I owned a bicycle shop I used to sell U-locks because they came with an insurance policy and the way I sold them was I said "you're buying insurance policy" and you're getting a lock as a bonus. I explained to them how to register their bike in order to get the insurance. I don't remember if anybody ever Needed to turn in their policy.

I figure that a motorized bicycle is daunting enough without a lock so with a lock it gives them a bit more pause. And yes I did see the video of some jerk zipping off with some fellows bike and it still ticks me off.

mike
Love your whimiscal yarn! I see you live in the Portland area, I live in Seattle-so close- I know!!

Do you have a street address there in Beaverton, OR? Where exactly do you live again?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Having had numerous bikes stolen by several amazingly determined individuals, each one overcoming newer anti-theft obstacles than his predecessor, I gave great thought before I decided on a concise reply:

If you can, park your bike in your kitchen (floor's easier to clean) and leave the light on. I once parked a Bianchi in a rented garage and, because my neighbor couldn't be bothered to shut, let alone LOCK, his garage door, I lost a bike which was chained to a support member.

My current bike is in a windowless shed behind a locked steel door. But if I thought my wife would let me, I'd keep it in my kitchen. Not far from my crossbows and knives.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Those are the old-style cylindrical keyed locks U-locks, they haven't made those in years.. but yeah- I'd avoid buy old used U-locks.

New locks have a redesigned straight flat key system. Just be sure to use a lubricant (chain oil or such, not WD-40) to keep the lock from rusting and seizing and breaking your key off!

I couldn't break the U-lock (it's a U-lock and a high-grade steel chain?). I could probably bust that chain off (chains are vunerable to prying and cutters- they have seams). I hope you're locking the U-lock to your frame to whatever you're locking it to and not locking the chain around your frame only- just to be sure. It also goes without saying that your locking is only as good as what you're locking it to..chose metal (thicker the better- in full public view Vs. smallish evergreen shrubbery behind the mall?
Also, you don't need to buy a brand name Kryptonite U-lock..they're $10-15 more and it's just a brand name! I have a Bell that I got for $14 and it's been used for years..
I have three Kryptonite chains. One is a NY FUGETTABOUTIT chain. I misplaced my key, and the maintenance man took 45 minutes to cut thru it with a grinder (I gave him $10 for his troubles).

At work, I run the chain thru three bars on the bike rack, then thru the rear wheel and rear frame. A cable runs thru the front wheel and frame.

I secure my bike on the fourth floor of a parking structure, and it's relatively safe. My co-worker lost her highly desirable Honda moped on the third floor. It was chained, but not to a pillar or anything. At home, I keep it in the house, bungeed to the wall, so the dogs can't knock it over.

I leave a Kryptonite chain and a cable secured to the bike rack at work. That way it's there waiting for me at all times.

I claim the only bike rack in the building, because I'm the only cyclist out of 200 State and TV station employees.

That's sad.:-||

Last edited:

bigben77

Jul 2, 2008
Edmonds, WA
My mb was cable locked to a concrete pillar in the secured parking garage at the apartment my girlfriend lived at. You had to live there in order to have access. It was stolen on my birthday last year by a tennant who was moving out the same day. Loaded it into the u-haul behind the building as he was leaving with the last of his crap. My new mb is almost complete and I'm not taking any chances, I'm going to use a Kryptonite cable AND a U-Lock.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I not only have a thick-as-**** cable lock, but I also pull out the clutch wire from the clutch arm and carry the clutch arm with me(yes, I unscrew the panel and pull it out). Some guy could still grab it and chuck it in the back of his pickup, but at least this will help stop some bastard junior high school kid from getting away on it.