Where should I look for a motor?

GoldenMotor.com

Catfish

Jun 2, 2010
Washington State
I'm looking for a 4-stroke gas engine that's under 50cc, and does not need to be pull-started. Most sites don't seem to say weather engines are 2 or 4 stroke. Very frustrating. If there is such a thing, it would be nice to get one that's from a larger company like Honda.

Any advice?

Catfish

Jun 2, 2010
Washington State
Hah, I meant to edit that. Pull start is fine - I was being ignorant. Right now Honda is looking really nice to me, but I'm not sure where I can buy one or where I can get a mounting kit.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Last edited:

Catfish

Jun 2, 2010
Washington State
Thanks Cabinfever, but I'm looking for 49cc specifically. 50cc is too high, because I don't have a motorcycle endorsement. The others might be a little too low powered for my tastes, too.

Catfish

Jun 2, 2010
Washington State
Well, I already went ahead and special-ordered a GXH50 by itself. Is there anyone around who has used one of these and knows where I can get a kit for mounting it? Is it reasonable to put such a wide engine inside my bike frame? Will that make it impossible to pedal?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Found a link to a mounting kit and it saids more parts will be needed and they have a list.

Motorized Bicycles Detail Page

That engine sells for $379 and it may cost over $400 for a mounting kit and extra adapter parts,if i was you i would have just bought a whole kit. Hope you got a good deal on the engine.

Last edited:

Catfish

Jun 2, 2010
Washington State
Thanks Cabinfever. That looks like what I'll be buying. I talked to the owner on the phone, and what they charge seems a bit ridiculous to me. If I were to buy everything but the engine, my total cost would be ~$620 and if I bought the motor too, it'd be $700. So I guess I might as well buy an extra motor for $80, right? These things normally retail for $400.

Edit: Whoops, that other one is a friction drive. Does anyone know if I can find a complete chain drive kit for a GXH50? The one mentioned above isn't meant for a GXH50 and I don't want to pay for extra parts that I won't use.

Also, are friction drives worth it at all? It seems like they might slip a lot, and damage the bike tires. Has anyone used a friction drive and found it to be worth while?

Last edited: